Northern NSW
✟981,566.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
For those of you watching the progress of CV 19 within the US, Bloomberg have an interactive US heat map showing cases and deaths for each individual state. The map can be set to show % change since yesterday or overall % change, based on today's cases or deaths. It also has options to show the number of cases or deaths by state.

This is a copy. The original is at:
Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

upload_2020-7-12_14-40-45.png

OB

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Interesting, but they should have number of new cases and number of new deaths on some sort of rolling average. The signal is far to variable on a daily basis to be able to have a meaningful map of the sort that they made. I would say five day minimum would be needed to make it meaningful.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟981,566.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Interesting, but they should have number of new cases and number of new deaths on some sort of rolling average. The signal is far to variable on a daily basis to be able to have a meaningful map of the sort that they made. I would say five day minimum would be needed to make it meaningful.

Does this help? It's from the fine print under the map:

Notes: Changes in daily new cases and death count are calculated with a seven-day rolling average (data as of July 11). State figures may not reflect repatriated patients from the Diamond Princess cruise ship or those evacuated from Wuhan, China.
OB

Upvote 0

Shrewd Manager

Through him, in all things, more than conquerors.
Supporter
Aug 16, 2019
Melbourne
✟364,409.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
They could say anything, since as they don't even know what they're looking for. Wouldn't their time be better spent trying to purify and visualise the supposed virus, as per a little thing called 'science'? Maybe because that's not what it's about.

• Agree
Reactions: MDC
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟981,566.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
They could say anything, since as they don't even know what they're looking for. Wouldn't their time be better spent trying to purify and visualise the supposed virus, as per a little thing called 'science'? Maybe because that's not what it's about.

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. This map is a visual interpretation of the spread of Covid cases and deaths across the US - that's it.
OB

• Agree
Reactions: Richard T
Upvote 0

Shrewd Manager

Supporter
Aug 16, 2019
Melbourne
✟364,409.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. This map is a visual interpretation of the spread of Covid cases and deaths across the US - that's it.
OB

Well you can't call something Covid unless you're able to actually identify the virus. Otherwise, it's just 'flu-like symptoms'. So the tests they use look for a few particles of the genome they believe to be sars-cov2. But they have never actually purified the sars-cov2 virus in a lab, which is required by the scientific standard (called the Koch Principles).

Further, the policy now is to write up any death suspected to involve Covid as a Covid death.

So the numbers are meaningless.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟981,566.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Well you can't call something Covid unless you're able to actually identify the virus. Otherwise, it's just 'flu-like symptoms'. So the tests they use look for a few particles of the genome they believe to be sars-cov2. But they have never actually purified the sars-cov2 virus in a lab, which is required by the scientific standard (called the Koch Principles).

Further, the policy now is to write up any death suspected to involve Covid as a Covid death.

So the numbers are meaningless.

I suggest you start a new thread.
Your issue is much broader than a thread about one of the many CV 19 data bases.
OB

Upvote 0

Shrewd Manager

Supporter
Aug 16, 2019
Melbourne
✟364,409.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I suggest you start a new thread.
Your issue is much broader than a thread about one of the many CV 19 data bases.
OB

Usually responsible types will put a little asterisk listing caveats or assumptions in miniscule print. All I'm saying is that the data above needs a rider like:
*None of the above may be true or accurate.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟981,566.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Usually responsible types will put a little asterisk listing caveats or assumptions in miniscule print. All I'm saying is that the data above needs a rider like:
*None of the above may be true or accurate.

I suggest you take this up with Bloomberg, Worldometer, Johns Hopkins, the CDC and all the various state and federal data bases.

You should also approach the Australian government Department of Health to make them aware of your concerns.

While your at it I'm sure WHO would be interested to hear from you.

Basically SM, you need to understand that very few data bases are ever 100% correct. The issue is whether they are sufficiently correct to use as the basis for public information or decisions. It's entirely possible that cases of death as a result of flu have been misdiagnosed as CV 19. The reverse is also true. We rely on the medical decision makers to to provide figures which are essentially, but not absolutely, correct. While there may be error, the level of error is not seen as significant for the purposes of the data base.

The world is rarely as black and white as you would like it to be.

OB

Upvote 0

Shrewd Manager

Supporter
Aug 16, 2019
Melbourne
✟364,409.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I suggest you take this up with Bloomberg, Worldometer, Johns Hopkins, the CDC and all the various state and federal data bases.

I'm taking it up with you OB, because you're spreading this garbage propaganda without a thought for whether it's true or not.

It is black and white, because they have not identified any virus by the requisite scientific standards.

So are you prepared to consider including a rider such as 'I am unable to verify these numbers, and encourage you to do your own research before you accept them as factual'?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Radagast

comes and goes
Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For those of you watching the progress of CV 19 within the US, Bloomberg have an interactive US heat map showing cases and deaths for each individual state. The map can be set to show % change since yesterday or overall % change, based on today's cases or deaths. It also has options to show the number of cases or deaths by state.

This is a copy. The original is at:
Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

View attachment 280759

OB

I'd like to see maps of deaths per capita. That's more meaningful.

I find these charts informative (in "compare" mode): IHME | COVID-19 Projections

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
because they have not identified any virus by the requisite scientific standards

Look mate, you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

It's an identified virus, with a fully sequenced genome. The PCR tests used to detect cases are not fully accurate, but as @Occams Barber says, that cuts both ways. The death counts are reliable enough to tell us how the disease is moving.

And the Koch postulates don't really apply terribly well to viruses anyway. See here for a 21st century version of the list.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟981,566.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
I'd like to see maps of deaths per capita. That's more meaningful.

I find these charts informative (in "compare" mode): IHME | COVID-19 Projections

I agree that deaths per capita is more meaningful than a straight count although a high straight count does sometimes have some shock value in waking people up to what's happening.

IHME in compare is useful. I lost confidence in IHME in the early stages when it fluctuated enormously every time the data was updated. It's still a bit scatty and the data isn't updated often enough.

Given the unpredictability of the variables in trying to project Corvid outcomes IHME is probably trying to do the impossible.

I rate it 'better than nothing'.

OB

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟981,566.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
I've found this to be be the most informative
COVID19info.live

Be sure to put your sunnies on before opening the link. Looks like a heck-of-a-lot of data in there but it must take a while to get the hang of how to use the site productively.

This:
This site is designed, developed and funded by myself (Shortbread).
It is the result of constant work; updating, fixing and maintaining in order to provide the service.
If you've found the site helpful or useful then please consider buying a coffee to support my work.

didn't leave me with a lot of confidence about how well it's maintained. I also couldn't see any mention of where the data comes from. This would be my first concern.

OB

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟329,323.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
OB

Based on my past interaction with this individual, he's a conspiracy theorist who doesn't seem to accept germ theory. Just a heads up.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟981,566.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Based on my past interaction with this individual, he's a conspiracy theorist who doesn't seem to accept germ theory. Just a heads up.
Thanks. Hopefully @Radagast 's response at post #13 will give him pause for thought (then again :()

OB

• Optimistic
Reactions: pgp_protector
Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟329,323.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Thanks. Hopefully @Radagast 's response at post #13 will give him pause for thought (then again :()

OB

I had the same rebuttal in the last thread. In fact, I was initially confused as to what they were going on about until it became clear they seem to doubt that viruses even cause disease.

When some people are entrenched in denial, it doesn't matter what they are presented.

(As a further FYI, they're also a 9/11 "truther". I wouldn't hold out hope for a rational discussion.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sesquiterpene

Sep 14, 2018
USA
✟158,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
But they have never actually purified the sars-cov2 virus in a lab, which is required by the scientific standard (called the Koch Principles).
This is an old lie that the HIV denialists used. Not so common now since many of them died of AIDS. This is the first time I've seen it in connection with COVID19, but I guess it was bound to happen.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Does this help? It's from the fine print under the map:

Notes: Changes in daily new cases and death count are calculated with a seven-day rolling average (data as of July 11). State figures may not reflect repatriated patients from the Diamond Princess cruise ship or those evacuated from Wuhan, China.
OB
I think that applies to the graphs of the individual states in the small graphs down below. It does not appear to apply to the large image of the U.S.. Now that large image on its own does tell us something, but even it can be affected by some of the same effects. Reported cases appear to often drop during the weekends, that of course does not mean that fewer people get sick then. But if the day to day variation per state was truly random the overall color of the map would be indicative of the change in the U.S., and it does not look good.

Upvote 0