Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm asking a lot of questions lately. I appreciate all y'all's answers and input.

What's the date where the Orthodox Church stops recognizing Western Saints? Did people who died in June 1054 count as Orthodox, whereas those who died in August 1054 are heretics and schismatics? Was it 1204 with the sack of Constantinople? Or is it not that cut and dry? Does it depend on the Saint, their context and knowledge, and their life more than their theology (like Augustine of Hippo)?

There's some Western saints who seemed to live pious lives and were (according to my fallen knowledge) respectable theologians, like Bernard of Clairvaux, but who died shortly after 1054.

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I'm asking a lot of questions lately. I appreciate all y'all's answers and input.

What's the date where the Orthodox Church stops recognizing Western Saints? Did people who died in June 1054 count as Orthodox, whereas those who died in August 1054 are heretics and schismatics? Was it 1204 with the sack of Constantinople? Or is it not that cut and dry? Does it depend on the Saint, their context and knowledge, and their life more than their theology (like Augustine of Hippo)?

There's some Western saints who seemed to live pious lives and were (according to my fallen knowledge) respectable theologians, like Bernard of Clairvaux, but who died shortly after 1054.
Most western saints were unknown in the East. So even if they were canonized before 1054 it does not mean we recognize them. As of late some want to stretch the date but its really irrelevant as they were never on our calendar, no hymn written for them, no commemorations etc..

Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Where you from? Boston?
Grew up in good ol' South Carolina

Most western saints were unknown in the East. So even if they were canonized before 1054 it does not mean we recognize them. As of late some want to stretch the date but its really irrelevant as they were never on our calendar, no hymn written for them, no commemorations etc..
That makes sense, but what about western rite parishes? Or patron saints? I'm thinking of things like that, more than saying that Jerusalem, for example, should celebrate an obscure western saint who's locally venerated in some English town

• Friendly
Reactions: LaSorcia
Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Rome did not have much sway in these periphery regions. It's sort of like many governments in third world countries. Their reach doesnt go far beyond the city limits. This is why the Fillioque clause was able to be added to the Creed and adoption of unleavened bread leaving the East scandalized. Basically the westerns became powerful enough to replace the Byzantine papacy with a frankish papacy and brought with them the foreign customs of these regions. Even in early baptismal rites there were customs involving honey and whatever foreign to many of the Apostolic churches, even the diverse kind of liturgical rites used throughout western Europe is a mystery to eastern christianity and perplexing even to Latins

• Informative
Reactions: fat wee robin
Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Grew up in good ol' South Carolina

That makes sense, but what about western rite parishes? Or patron saints? I'm thinking of things like that, more than saying that Jerusalem, for example, should celebrate an obscure western saint who's locally venerated in some English town
I think they (priests or western rite historians) simply investigate popular saints of a particular region and approve them to be added to a western rite calendar.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think they (priests or western rite historians) simply investigate popular saints of a particular region and approve them to be added to a western rite calendar.

St John Maximovitch did that.

• Informative
Reactions: Ioannes
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums