• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Currently reading?

Discussion in 'Spiritual Formation & Disciplines' started by Lilly54, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Lilly54

Lilly54 Well-Known Member

+989
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    In Relationship
    So which part of the Bible are you reading today?
    I have decided to read Exodus. I try to maintain a balance between old and new testaments. I have several bibles in the house, i carry a small one in my handbag and have 3 in my Kindle. In each one i am at different stages in whichever Bible book i feel drawn to.
    Just building my knowledge slowly, steadily. So i can digest at my pace. I need to feed myself daily with God's Word. It has become as important as physical food and drink to me.
    Do you read some daily - do you set a specific time or just fit it in as i do, whenever i have chance? Though i always start and end the day with a session, however short.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Greengardener

Greengardener for love is of God Supporter

+449
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    This is good to hear. We live by every word that God spoke/speaks, and He doesn't change His mind about what He says. Thankfully He is quick to protect our course when we repent of our evil ways and turn to His, but He doesn't change in what He says is best for us and what will happen if we aren't careful to walk in His instructions. So you are benefited wherever you are reading. I'm usually in several books at a time and in several versions. I've recently been through Exodus and Leviticus. Hiding His word in our heart so that we might not sin against Him and so that we have a light to our path - what a precious opportunity we have!

3. Dropout_Theologian

Dropout_Theologian Not an ant in God's glorious library. Supporter

+288
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    I've currently just finished Acts, and I'm looking forward to getting into Romans again. I typically read at night, rebel that I am.

4. HowdyDave@

[email protected] Br. Athanasy; Obl.SB (Orthodox Benedictine Oblate)

+38
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Celibate
    The Works of Dionysius the Areopagite
    Mystic Theology

Dionysius the Areopagite is referred to by Paul (Acts 17:34).
    He was converted to Christianity by the preaching of St. Paul during the Areopagus sermon, according to Dionysius, Bishop of Corinth, as quoted by Eusebius. He was one of the first Athenians to believe in Christ. After his conversion, Dionysius became the first Bishop of Athens.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  5. AGJakeH

AGJakeH New Member

+27
    United States
    Pentecostal
    Married
    I’m doing a roughly chronological read of the Old Testament right now so I’m in the middle of Isaiah and I’m doing a New Testament study of the Pauline Epistles where I’m in 2nd Thessalonians.

6. Lilly54

+989
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    In Relationship

This is an incredibly important subject. I had come across this Athenian briefly in reading the gospels. Wow! Now i looked up about him and it is vital evidence for atheists especially to consider in their thinking. Those who look for proof can see.
    This is independent corroboration of events of Christ, Mary and Paul the Apostle.
    Fascinating and exciting.

7. HowdyDave@

+38
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Celibate
    Dionysius was also assigned by Paul to be the teacher of Timothy.
    I don't have the references at hand to back this up.

Reading Dionysius, one sees that just about everything that he wrote on Mysticism was intended to be kept as a secret. He repeatedly says "this is not for the uninitiated." In my opinion, this is why many casual readers find it hard to follow or even see it as nothing but gobbledygook.

8. Lilly54

+989
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    In Relationship
    That is very interesting. That Paul held him in such regard. This is important stuff Dionysius was a significant character. I've glanced at some info about his life, including his martyrdom by burning.

9. SkyWriting

SkyWriting The Librarian Supporter

+6,698
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    Have you always held this belief?

10. Lilly54

+989
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    In Relationship
    Only since becoming a Christian. I mean God is the same always. His Word is what i live by. Is this not what you believe too?

11. HowdyDave@

+38
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Celibate
    I grew up as a Lutheran.
    As such I was totally ignorant of the writings of The Church Fathers (do a search on this.)
    All I was told about were the writers of the books of the Bible.
    Church history pretty much started with Luther and the Reformation.

see: Early Church Fathers

For writers who lived side by side with the apostles, see: Apostolic Fathers - Wikipedia

Many of the Church Father's writings can be found in The Philokalia (available on Amazon.)

Philokalia - OrthodoxWiki

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  12. Lilly54

+989
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    In Relationship
    Hi
    This interests me. I have found a free book on kindle to start me off:
    'Early Church Father series: St Clement of Rome' by Greg Gordon.
    Can you recommend any other book- not expensive please. I want to learn.
    I don't know much about Lutherans but am interested. I don't care about denominations and differences. What interests me is pure teachings of Christ and developing my knowledge of the Bible.
    Out of interest, what kind of church do you belong to now? I am Anglican, C of E. But am drawn more to Methodist. Love Charles Wesleys sermons and his brother Charles wonderful hymns.

13. HowdyDave@

+38
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Celibate
    I am no longer a Lutheran. I am now Eastern Orthodox.

If you have a Kindle, you can get enough to last you for years for $2.99 (USD.)
    There is probably a lot in here that will be of no interest to you but, for the price, you have a wide variety from which you can pick and choose.

This was so inexpensive that I bought it myself considering it to be, for all intents and purposes, a complete library.

Here is a link to: The Complete Works of the Church Fathers: A total of 64 authors, and over 2,500 works of the Early Christian Church Kindle Edition

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Works-Church-Fathers-Christian-ebook/dp/B01F9PRR92/ref=sxts_sxwds-bia?crid=1H44SGF0L8R85&keywords=church+fathers+complete+works&pd_rd_i=B01F9PRR92&pd_rd_r=9be99e1a-11a8-4105-8015-94fa1c02f2cd&pd_rd_w=lDFyo&pd_rd_wg=Cczn3&pf_rd_p=1cb3f32a-ccfd-479b-8a13-b22f56c942c6&pf_rd_r=40GN59SZBYPEDCBJZ8VQ&psc=1&qid=1572815775&sprefix=church+fathers,aps,186

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  14. Lilly54

+989
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    In Relationship
    Thank you. I will look into that and into Eastern Orthodox Christianity. There is much to learn from different perspectives, in my view. I love enquiring minds and learning from people. ​

15. HowdyDave@

+38
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Celibate
    Another alternative is the Philokalia.
    The Philokalia is THE book of Spiritual Writings in the Orthodox Church

There is a very inexpensive Kindle edition ($0.99):
    https://www.amazon.com/Philokalia-B...ilokalia&qid=1572816963&s=digital-text&sr=1-1

16. Lilly54

+989
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    In Relationship
    Thanks - have run a sample off. Very good reduced price! I shall be most interested.
    I want to get to the heart of christian knowledge so will read.

17. HowdyDave@

+38
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Celibate
    Realization of the vastness of one's own ignorance is the first step on the road to true wisdom.
    --Adi Shankara

18. Lilly54

+989
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    In Relationship
    It is. Mine is vast!

19. ChristianGirl_96

ChristianGirl_96 Well-Known Member Angels Team Supporter

+1,305
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    In Relationship
    Nothing at the moment! I am taking a break before Christmas.

20. HowdyDave@

+38
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Celibate
    The Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church
    by: Vladimir Lossky

Lossky is one of the top contemporary Orthodox scholars.
    This book was published in 1944 and translated into English in 1957.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019