Currently going through a divorce! Am i now doomed to a life without love?

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced

The Catholic church says i cannot marry again.

I cannot live with another woman and have sexual intercourse as that is mortal sin.

I can but i then cannot participate in the Eucharist and i would be in line for hell.

Should i be resigned to living alone and not going near another woman ever again? Does God really want that?

Look, surely God understands that some people just 'Cannot' live together until death do us part!

Last edited:

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,147.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
1. Get your eyes off your wife
2. Get your eyes off other women
3. Get your eyes off of man
4. Get your eyes off of family
4. Get your eyes off of the church

And get your eyes on Jesus! We simply have got to have the faith that God is going to outdo this present world!

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I cannot live with another woman and have sexual intercourse as that is mortal sin.

I can but i then cannot participate in the Eucharist and i would be in line for hell.

Should i be resigned to living alone and not going near another woman ever again? Does Gos really want that?

Look, surely God understands that some people just 'Cannot' live together until death do us part!

Your life decisions are entirely up to you.
No group of people can know what is best.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Should i be resigned to living alone and not going near another woman ever again? Does Gos really want that?

If you have chosen to yield to the authority of the Roman Catholic church, you would probably get more informed responses by writing in one of the RCC forums. Someone is bound to understand the details of divorce and remarriage according to RCC doctrine.

Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Should i be resigned to living alone and not going near another woman ever again? Does God really want that?

I just wanted a general consensus to how people feel about my plight.

As an ex-Catholic this is one of those things that always bothered me, how they handle marriage and divorce. If you divorce it's a sin and you're cut off from the sacraments (Lake of Fire, there you go). But they have this funny little thing called annulment, and I know people who've done it. Basically, if you cut the diocese a check (the last annulment I know of cost about $500) they'll eventually find a reason to say your marriage was based on a lie and therefore not valid. No real marriage = no divorce = welcome back to the sacraments = no more Lake of Fire. None of this is Biblical, by the way.

Some have no problem with it; other's say it's simony, like the old practice of selling indulgences. I think you are very wise to come here for advice instead of a denomination specific venue. Best of luck with your situation, and may God guide you down the right path.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Doesnt matter what we think. What do you feel in your heart? If you believe you cant remarry or go to hell, then yes that is true. If you feel in your heart that you can remarry and still be in good standing with the Lord....yes that is true as well. So follow your heart......not man....not your own mind..... It wont lead you astray. What a man thinketh in his heart...so is he.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

I am in a similar situation to you. I would probably be Roman Catholic except I live with somebody and we are not legally married (my partner was actually raised Catholic). Which means I probably wouldn't be given the sacraments in most Catholic churches, based on what I understand as the norm.

I believe God is merciful. None of us comes to the sacraments truly worthy. Our church (Lutherans) has former Catholics that run into those type of situations in their lives. I hope that Pope Francis will help his church reshape the Roman Catholics' approach, so that more Catholics do not feel they have no options.

You are going to have to figure out what price you are willing to pay to obey your church, but personally I think its wrong for this rule to bind your conscience to the point that you risk despairing over your salvation.

• Agree
Reactions: wilts43
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PollyJetix

Feb 15, 2017
Virginia
✟42,933.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I just wanted a general consensus to how people feel about my plight.
If you allow the general consensus to be your guide, you will go in circles.
Seek the Lord Himself. Only in His Word will you find a true map and guidelines that will not let you down.

That said, we must remember that Jesus did not come to do away with the moral law of the Old Testament.

He fulfilled the Law by becoming the ultimate sacrifice for our sin, but He did not do away with the definition of what is right and wrong.

John said, "Sin is the transgression of the law"... that's the New Testament definition of sin!
And Paul said "I could not have known sin, except by the Law!"

Therefore, we need to visit the Old Testament to define what is immoral, as pertains to divorce and remarriage.

Christ did not come to give us a better law. The Bible says over and over, that as far as being a standard, the Law was perfect. It only fell short in giving us power to measure up.

So, don't look to the Law to make you good.
But look to the Law to define what is right in the eyes of God.

Exodus 21:10-11 allows divorce for abuse and neglect.
Deuteronomy 24:1-4 gives an order to the one who separates from a spouse, to sign papers setting them free to remarry. No separation without freedom to remarry.
(This law does NOT say God approves of divorce! That's how the Pharisees were abusing it.)
Malachi 2:14-16 tells us God hates treachery against a faithful spouse.

That's what God said is right in His eyes.
And Paul says the Law (even Deuteronomy 24:1-4!) is holy, just, and good. Romans 7:12

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
It is a cliche but it is true: "... it's a relationship, not rules". I'd rather there were more bold sinners in the world that cowered legalists.

Upvote 0

PollyJetix

Feb 15, 2017
Virginia
✟42,933.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is a cliche but it is true: "... it's a relationship, not rules". I'd rather there were more bold sinners in the world that cowered legalists.
However, God gave us the Law to show us what is holy, and what is unholy.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,147.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
My gosh! We live in such an adulterous culture I believe most feel that if they don't fulfill their sexual gratifications that they will spend all eternity in heaven worried about it. And I must say also, if the Catholic church does not rethink marriage for the clergy I would think that they will be hurting for priests. I personally think any church congregation that CF has labeled 'Orthodox' is a good one and I would not blame you for shifting congregations if need be.

But... We have other problems here, and that is the desire for love. I am Wesleyan Pentecostal. I heard a preacher say that sin is like a dog chewing on a bone. If you try to take the bone from him he will bite you as it is the only possession he has in life. If you lay out a steak he will gladly leave the bone for the steak. For most people these days that old bone of sex is something they yearn to chew on, not knowing that there are other pleasures out there more enjoyable.

My advise here is to learn how to live your life enjoyably without sex and if love comes to you it will make your life together all the more richer... And some advice from Marcus Aurelius....

(1) The true worth of a man is to be measured by the objects he pursues.
(2) From Rusticus I received the impression that my character required improvement and discipline-
(3) Every man's life lies within the present; for the past is spent and done with, and the future is uncertain.
(4) A mans worth is no greater than his ambitions.
(5) In the morning let this thought be present: I am rising to a man's work.
(6) Be satisfied with your business, and learn to love what you were bred to do.
(7) Our life is what our thoughts make it.
(8) To live happy is an inward power of the soul
(9) The one thing worth living for is to keep one's soul pure.-Marcus Aurelius

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
However, God gave us the Law to show us what is holy, and what is unholy.

All of which ultimately condemns us. The correct motivation to live a holy life comes from the righteous status that God gives to us through Christ, apart from our worthiness, merits, or works.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Read the Bible, if you are saved you wouldnt be asking this...am sorry. Thats all can say for now. Start with gospel according to John (also known as the love gospel) then come back to us if you believe what is written there.

• Agree
Reactions: MustardSeeed
Upvote 0

GeorgeJ

<Insert Custom Title Here>
Jul 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟70,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
So, being saved means not being able to love outside of marriage?
You have to take into account who just told you that, and it would probably be best if you totally ignore that person's remark. It was judgemental and ignorant....which is standard for a person like that who has no social skills whatsoever.

As TallGuy88 stated, a lot of Catholics are divorced and remarried.

• Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So, being saved means not being able to love outside of marriage?
God will judge us according to whether we really believed he was real and if he was our Lord or not. Our heart condition is not visible to anyone but God, however, he has taught that we can look at the various actions those with various heart conditions carry out.

Someone might be saved, for example, if when he sins he genuinely feels sorrow because he rejected Jesus (which is what sin is), or when someone recognizes that he didn't deserve Jesus to die for them and so tries to help the poor, because Jesus said that's the same as helping God himself. Someone might not be saved if they go to church each Sunday but don't think about God/Jesus the rest of the week. Being afraid of what God might do because one sinned or whether they're going to heaven or not is not a good indicator either way, because both people who are not saved and people who are saved have those fears.

Upvote 0

puregrl

Jun 7, 2005
North Carolina
✟15,525.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If this is your convictions, than you should follow it. If you go against your values and beliefs you will not be happy. I am not catholic, so I cannot speak to their beliefs. However, I can speak from personal experience that their are more reasons than cheating where divorce is valid.
Know that God loves you like son. In such, God does not want to see you make mistakes, or go down a road that will cause you harm. There are many places in the bible where love and relationships are discussed. If you find someone that makes you feel life again, feel love, and you believe with all that is in you that you were made to be married than go for it. Take what you have learned from this past relationship, and don't make those same mistakes again. Until you have found this person, focus on you. Focus on healing, focus on growing as a person and growing closer to your Father.

Reactions: Goatee
Upvote 0