Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
A few weeks ago and well before that, I had a poster on here say that I am being dishonest about my gender because I have a female elf for my avatar. Said elf is my favorite character from The Hobbit next to Killi. He has also gone as far as to say that I am sinning by having her there and making others think that I am female.

I am of the opinion that I have never declared myself to be anything other than male. If one looks at my profile they will see that I am male.

As I said, she has been my avatar since my first post and she is only there because as I said, she is my favorite character.

What are your thoughts?

Reactions: mlepfitjw

Benam

Supporter
Apr 18, 2017
BC
✟672,672.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Well I for one thought you were a female elf. And "tampasteve" is surely a manatee, no? "Albion" must be a candle. Or a bible. And I know that I am in fact an actual Bitmoji character.

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟36,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
A few weeks ago and well before that, I had a poster on here say that I am being dishonest about my gender because I have a female elf for my avatar. Said elf is my favorite character from The Hobbit next to Killi. He has also gone as far as to say that I am sinning by having her there and making others think that I am female.

I am of the opinion that I have never declared myself to be anything other than male. If one looks at my profile they will see that I am male.

As I said, she has been my avatar since my first post and she is only there because as I said, she is my favorite character.

What are your thoughts?
I change my avatar all the time. I guess that makes me erratic. Yours looks like art, so I guess
you are just artistic.

Reactions: Shane R
Upvote 0

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟738,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

What are your thoughts?

The picture we add to that portion of our profile is irrelevant to gender as others have mentioned. In regards to gender you've listed yourself as male on your profile so I don't see the issue.

I agree that the complaint is groundless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well I for one thought you were a female elf. And "tampasteve" is surely a manatee, no? "Albion" must be a candle. Or a bible. And I know that I am in fact an actual Bitmoji character.

Lucky for me I don't have a bag in there somewhere.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟213,623.00
Faith
Non-Denom

What are your thoughts?
What's it even matter if people would think you're male or female? I thought we're here to discuss ideas and different ways of thinking? Ah perhaps it's that other person who has the problem because maybe they're trying to find someone to date as in you led me down a wrong path bud I mean why else should the thing be an issue to them? I'd like to ask them is this REALLY the reason why you're upset?

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What's it even matter if people would think you're male or female? I thought we're here to discuss ideas and different ways of thinking? Ah perhaps it's that other person who has the problem because maybe they're trying to find someone to date as in you led me down a wrong path bud I mean why else should the thing be an issue to them? I'd like to ask them is this REALLY the reason why you're upset?

It is a problem if you mis-gender the person because you thought they were something they were not based upon their avatar. Perhaps the poster in question had been called out for mis-gendering previously and was defensive about making the mistake in the future. Nonetheless the tirade that is described in the OP is not warranted.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,473,143.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
For what it's worth, OP, when I try to look at your profile, it doesn't let me, and says "This member limits who may view their full profile." Which is entirely your choice, but may be contributing to any confusion.

Beyond that, the idea that most people's avatars are accurate pictures of them is just silly (mine is, right now, but at different times I've had other avatars, too).

• Haha
Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
For what it's worth, OP, when I try to look at your profile, it doesn't let me, and says "This member limits who may view their full profile." Which is entirely your choice, but may be contributing to any confusion.

I didn't realize that, how about now?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟931,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
We have had some fun in this thread, but in all seriousness I think OP's avatar is just fine. Avatars probably say something about us only to the degree that an image is something we like, identify with, or holds some special meaning for us. I wouldn't expect them to represent gender.

Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
Avatars probably say something about us only to the degree that an image is something we like, identify with, or holds some special meaning for us. I wouldn't expect them to represent gender.

Which most have said or alluded to in this thread.

I even said as much, but the poster maintained that I was in the wrong because what if someone doesn't know to go to my profile to see if I am male?

No matter what I said, I was wrong and in sin. He even threw Bible verses at me, like a man shall not dress as a female, and even said that Christians shouldn't be watching or reading The Hobbit or other books like it, including Narnia.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟931,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
...I even said as much, but the poster maintained that I was in the wrong because what if someone doesn't know to go to my profile to see if I am male?...

Is this person someone whose opinion you value? Everyone has an opinion, but not every opinion is valid or matters. I am a big fan of listening, evaluating, and discarding that which seems to have no merit or credibility for me. Our foundation as Anglicans is scripture, tradition, and reason. Your accuser's accusations defy reason, in my opinion.

I am also curious what difference it makes to a reader reading your posts if you are male or female? Hopefully one would respond to content the same regardless of whether it was penned by a man or woman. :scratch:

Upvote 0