• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Curious about something

Discussion in 'Technology' started by sunshineforJesus, Oct 11, 2017.

1. sunshineforJesus

sunshineforJesus is so in love with God

+3,828
    United States
    Pentecostal
    Single
    US-Republican
    Lately my Android Tablet has been doing this weird thing
    where it says charging over U S B,instead of a c like its supposed to.
    Im not using the charger it came with as that one quit working after a while,but did
    buy a replacement one from walmart a few months ago which up until recently worked fine.
    Are there any ideas on what the problem is?

2. yeshuaslavejeff

yeshuaslavejeff simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua

+4,374
    Anabaptist
    In most all product categories, they don't build things as good as they used to. Chargers included.

check the model number via internet search to see if others had similar problems in a short time.

Otherwise, might simply be settings to change ?

3. timewerx

timewerx the village i--o--t--

+2,381
    Christian Seeker
    Single
    Your charger is probably giving out lower voltage than usual. The USB from computer gives out 5 volts and the android charger gives out 5.1 volts or more. It's probably seeing only 5 volts. Not 100% sure.

4. look4hope

look4hope Love.Fellowship.Joy Supporter

+1,171
    Lutheran
    Private
    Not recognizing it properly. Could you test it with another charger to compare the difference?
    I believe you would be able to return to store if it isn't compatible

5. 357magnum

357magnum AKA: Tom - Saved By Grace Supporter

+6,287
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    I wouldn't worry about it if it's charging your device. Go buy the recommended charger for your specific device if you're worried about it.

6. football5680

football5680 Well-Known Member

+1,209
    Catholic
    Single
    If I had to guess, I would say that your charger is giving out less volts than the phone expects from a normal charger so it assumes you are connected by USB to a computer which would give out less volts.

7. sunshineforJesus

+3,828
    United States
    Pentecostal
    Single
    US-Republican
    Thanks so much for this explanation.

8. sunshineforJesus

+3,828
    United States
    Pentecostal
    Single
    US-Republican
    My mom's Verizon phone charger works perfectly
    Every time so I've been using that alot lately especially at night.Good thing she doesn't mind sharing.

9. sunshineforJesus

+3,828
    United States
    Pentecostal
    Single
    US-Republican
    That's the thing,unless it's charging a c which it's doing less and less lately it doesn't seem to charge unless I leave it a long time charging on u s b.

10. Wookiee

Wookiee Cool. Cool, cool, cool.

+37
    Australia
    Christian
    Separated
    AU-Liberals
    To the OP: if you only changed the charger it's also possible the USB cable has a problem. If you have a spare cable, try swapping that. Otherwise it's probably the wall unit. Either way, neither is particularly expensive (unless the cable is a weird proprietary one like the old Samsung tablet cables).

To all those talking about voltage: not quite correct. All USB ports and chargers output 5V. What changes from charger to charger, and between charger to PC is the current (amps). Standard A/C chargers will often do 5V at 2A (or 2000mA) giving 10W. A quick Google indicates a standard PC USB port will output 0.5A (500mA) which works out to be 2.5W.

As a general rule, you can generally use a power supply rated for higher current but the same voltage without consequence. Generally the power supplied will be regulated and the device will only draw as much as it's capable of. For instance, most laptop power supplies are 19V, meaning you can use any compatible power supply even if it's higher current.

While having a difference in current is generally okay, changing the voltage will cause issues. Too much or too little will likely damage both the device and the power supply.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  11. sunshineforJesus

+3,828
    United States
    Pentecostal
    Single
    US-Republican
    Im sorry but I dont really understand what you wrote.Can you re-word things simpler?

12. Wookiee

+37
    Australia
    Christian
    Separated
    AU-Liberals
    Did you buy a whole new cable and wall charger, or just the wall charger? The problem could be with the cable, not necessarily the wall charger.

13. sunshineforJesus

+3,828
    United States
    Pentecostal
    Single
    US-Republican
    I only bought the cable and am using the wall
    Unit that came with my tablet originally.My mom's charger is an all in one charger attached to wall unit. Perhaps the wall unit is no good.

14. Wookiee

+37
    Australia
    Christian
    Separated
    AU-Liberals
    It's very possible. They're not very expensive to get hold of so it wouldn't hurt to try and track one down (and quite frankly it never hurts to have a spare floating around, I know I run short on them).

15. sunshineforJesus

+3,828
    United States
    Pentecostal
    Single
    US-Republican
    Do they sell tablet chargers that are all in one,both cable and charger?

16. Wookiee

+37
    Australia
    Christian
    Separated
    AU-Liberals
    Yes, but it's generally better to get them separately in case either breaks.

17. sunshineforJesus

+3,828
    United States
    Pentecostal
    Single
    US-Republican
    Hmm well Im going to the Verizon store and depending on what the
    store people think,I might just buy myself a new wall charger.

18. sunshineforJesus

+3,828
    United States
    Pentecostal
    Single
    US-Republican
    Well I brought my tablet to the verizon store,and it was doing
    the same thing(charging over usb instead of ac) with their cord so their
    and my next best guess is a bad battery. It also overheats alot,and they did
    say bad batterys can cause connection issues so it looks like thats what they decided to do.
    My mom was going to pick it up for me today but it was so busy in there,after waiting almost an hr
    without anyone waiting on her she will go back tomorrow on her way home from work.
    I hope and pray its not as busy than cause Im very curious as to find out how it will work when I get home.

19. sunshineforJesus

+3,828
    United States
    Pentecostal
    Single
    US-Republican
    Ok new battery is good and now the tablets not
    over heating but its still charging really slow,and not right
    so now I gotta buy a new charger.