Jan 12, 2015
✟47,420.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There are TWO Scotlands . One on the West which was mainly the Irish (or Scotti ,as the Romans called the Irish) , who converted the pagans of the country to Christianity ,spoke Gaelic and generally lived truly Christian lives as generosity and welcoming the stranger was deeply Embedded in the tradition .
In the East mainly were the Picts who in time became christian too,but were always much more materialistic ,business type ,cold in manner and unfortunately since mostly they did business with
others ,gave the bad reputation of meaness which some give to the Scots .
As for the pipes ,they wre always part of Highland culture ,as they are in Ireland ,but the kilt which was a rough and ready garment worn by the Highlanders ,was made 'fashionable ' by the French tailors and taken up by th e English upper classes who were never ever truly Celts in any way .

The culture of Scotland includes many great poets ,writers and scientists which are not known because the English prevent such literature and the truth of history to become known .The greatest culprit apart from the' Establishment' is the BBC who distort the truth .
The 'Celts' who have a culture (which is truly of the heart and therefore of God ) will last,is lasting , although they in the South tried to commit genocide on these upstarts who defied them and still do .
So if you are visiting , remember that in order the keep the peace in daily life, many stay quiet ,but cultural independence is what most want .

Upvote 0

fat wee robin

Jan 12, 2015
✟47,420.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There are TWO Scotlands . One on the West which was mainly the Irish (or Scotti ,as the Romans called the Irish) , who converted the pagans of the country to Christianity ,spoke Gaelic and generally lived truly Christian lives as generosity and welcoming the stranger was deeply Embedded in the tradition .
In the East mainly were the Picts who in time became christian too,but were always much more materialistic ,business type ,cold in manner and unfortunately since mostly they did business with
others ,gave the bad reputation of meaness which some give to the Scots .
As for the pipes ,they wre always part of Highland culture ,as they are in Ireland ,but the kilt which was a rough and ready garment worn by the Highlanders ,was made 'fashionable ' by the French tailors and taken up by th e English upper classes who were never ever truly Celts in any way .

The culture of Scotland includes many great poets ,writers and scientists which are not known because the English prevent such literature and the truth of history to become known .The greatest culprit apart from the' Establishment' is the BBC who distort the truth .
The 'Celts' who have a culture (which is truly of the heart and therefore of God ) will last,is lasting , although they in the South tried to commit genocide on these upstarts who defied them and still do .
So if you are visiting , remember that in order the keep the peace in daily life, many stay quiet ,but cultural independence is what most want .

Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

fat wee robin

Jan 12, 2015
✟47,420.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There are TWO Scotlands . One on the West which was mainly the Irish (or Scotti ,as the Romans called the Irish) , who converted the pagans of the country to Christianity ,spoke Gaelic, and generally lived truly Christian lives, as generosity and welcoming the stranger ,was deeply Embedded in the tradition .

In the East mainly were the Picts ,who in time became christian too, but were always much more materialistic , business like , cold in manner and unfortunately ,gave the bad reputation of meaness , which some give to the Scots .
As for the pipes , they wre always part of Highland culture , as they are in Ireland , but the kilt which was a rough and ready garment worn by the Highlanders , was made 'fashionable ' by the French tailors ,and taken up by the English upper classes ,who were never ever Celts in any way ,so wearing the kilt is a posture for them .

The culture of Scotland includes many great poets ,writers and scientists which are not known because the English prevent such literature , and the truth of history , to become known .The greatest culprit apart from the' Establishment', is the BBC who distort the truth .

The 'Celts' who have a culture (which is truly of the heart and therefore of God ) will last, is lasting , although they in the South did try to commit genocide on these upstarts who defied them and still do .

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fat wee robin

Jan 12, 2015
✟47,420.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Rabbie Burns a great poet from Ayrshire wrote a poem called "What a Parcel of
Rogues in a Nation " .
It can be found under that title in Wikipedia , and it ends with "were bought and sold for English gold , Such a Parcel of Rogues in a Nation " .
It is worth reading as it gives you a very poetic description of the deep feelings which are still there .

Burns used many biblical images such as the character of the prideful Pharisee, as in " Holy Wullies Prayer", both profound , and funny too .

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fat wee robin

Jan 12, 2015
✟47,420.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, good then you’ll know that the conflict at the time was largely about inter-clan politics and the Catholic/Protestant divide across the British Isles, and not blood lines (the Young Pretender, although of Scottish descent, was born and raised in Italy, and was related to the Hanovers). Both the Stuarts /Stewarts and their opponents intended to unite Scotland, England and Ireland under their rule, so either way you have imposition of a monarchy. The picture isn’t as simple as romantic fables might paint it, however I sense you are looking for an argument here so I’ll back out and let you have the last word,

Peace,

Tom
I am not looking for an argument ,but the truth ; no fables either .The Stewarts were a Scots Clan that existed since before the there was a King ,Malcolm Canmore .So Charles Stewart may have spent a large part of his life in France ,as Queen Mary Stuart (French spelling ) was his ancestor ,but the family who gave him roots was Scottish .
Oh , others have 'romantic fables ', how condescending , but better than : Secrets and lies !!! Murder and theft !!!

Upvote 0

fat wee robin

Jan 12, 2015
✟47,420.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, good then you’ll know that the conflict at the time was largely about inter-clan politics and the Catholic/Protestant divide across the British Isles, and not blood lines (the Young Pretender, although of Scottish descent, was born and raised in Italy, and was related to the Hanovers). Both the Stuarts /Stewarts and their opponents intended to unite Scotland, England and Ireland under their rule, so either way you have imposition of a monarchy. The picture isn’t as simple as romantic fables might paint it, however I sense you are looking for an argument here so I’ll back out and let you have the last word,

Peace,

Tom
I am not looking for an argument ,but the truth ; no fables either .The Stewarts were a Scots Clan that existed since before the there was a King ,Malcolm Canmore .So Charles Stewart may have spent a large part of his life in France ,as Queen Mary Stuart (French spelling ) was his ancestor ,but the family who gave him roots was Scottish .

O, others have 'romantic fables ', how condescending , but better than : Secrets and lies !!! Murder and theft !!!

Upvote 0

fat wee robin

Jan 12, 2015
✟47,420.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
TE="Naomi4Christ, post: 72504673, member: 124709"]Oh dear[/QUOTE]
Oh Dear !! the truth is painful .We should know that as Christians ,but it has always been that way for those who hate the truth .
It is good to know that as the truth of history is revealed , the suppression , mainly through profound ignorance, of cultures superior to theirs , that some English are awakening up to see the truth .
God is working to reveal what has been hidden deliberately .

Upvote 0

fat wee robin

Jan 12, 2015
✟47,420.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Oh Dear !! the truth is painful .We should know that as Christians ,but it has always been that way for those who hate the truth .
It is good to know that as the truth of history is revealed , the suppression , mainly through profound ignorance, of cultures superior to theirs , that some English are awakening up to see the truth .
God is working to reveal what has been hidden deliberately .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

fat wee robin

Jan 12, 2015
✟47,420.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well you must know as a Christian, that the truth will come out , whether it is wished for or not . Better prepare ,as it will be painful for some groups more than others , who do not know history and are proud .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Dec 8, 2011
✟120,714.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Gillian ,
I like so many but "Rob Roy McGeregor "' who was a real rebel) is a wonderful story which is a wonderful way to get an overall picture of life after Culloden and is less sad than some ,like "Waverley ", which gives you a very good idea of the Celtic clan system which still existed in western Scotland ,while it's originators from Ireland had been destroyed by brute force from Cromwell onward .
His biographical 'novel' "The blue heaven bends over all" ,by Jane Oliver ", helps to understand his life and works .
Yes ,one of the greatest pleasures ,good books !

Kenny's of Galway send books free . My source for most of my books .

Thanks for the tips and information. Did you say, or did I read it somewhere else, that the clan system came to an end after the end of the Jacobite wars?

I am nearing the end of The Flight of the Heron. Maybe Rob Roy will be next on my list.

Gillian

Upvote 0

fat wee robin

Jan 12, 2015
✟47,420.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thanks for the tips and information. Did you say, or did I read it somewhere else, that the clan system came to an end after the end of the Jacobite wars?

I am nearing the end of The Flight of the Heron. Maybe Rob Roy will be next on my list.

Gillian
Bonjour Gillian ,
Nice to hear from you .I don't know the "flight of the heron ". Would you recommend it ?
A modern writer you might like is Peter May . He is a thriller writer ,not my cup of tea ,but his trilogy
set in the isle of Lewis, is truly a masterpiece .To be read in order, to get the best out of it .
I read it in French, produced in one volume with a tartan cover ,while I think in Scotland it comes in three parts .
Lewis is the isle where Mr. Trumps mothers family lived . Anyone who wishes to see a portrait of real Scotland should read this . A great modern classic .
Happy reading ,a great pastime .:clap:

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2011
✟120,714.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Nice to hear from you too. Are you fluent in French? Just wondering.

I certainly would recommend The Flight of the Heron. It's about two men from the opposing sides of the Jacobite Rebellion who form a friendship. Having finished reading it, I now want to read the next book in the trilogy, The Gleam in the North. I was hoping to find it free online, but couldn't so am going to have to source it somewhere else.

Gillian

Upvote 0

fat wee robin

Jan 12, 2015
✟47,420.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Nice to hear from you too. Are you fluent in French? Just wondering.

I certainly would recommend The Flight of the Heron. It's about two men from the opposing sides of the Jacobite Rebellion who form a friendship. Having finished reading it, I now want to read the next book in the trilogy, The Gleam in the North. I was hoping to find it free online, but couldn't so am going to have to source it somewhere else.

Gillian
Yes good books are wonderful ,saved my life many times, as a good historical novel of high quality is spiritually uplifting . I get my books mostly from Kenny's Books ,Galway, as they send anywhere in the world, free postage . I would feel guilty reading a book free online ,as authors have to be paid as well as publishers , but you can get books at very low cost from Kenny's secondhand .

Yes I live in the countryside and speak French most of the time , but perfectly ,no.
I want to relearn our own language 'gaelic ' ,and that would be great .

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2011
✟120,714.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Yes good books are wonderful ,saved my life many times, as a good historical novel of high quality is spiritually uplifting . I get my books mostly from Kenny's Books ,Galway, as they send anywhere in the world, free postage . I would feel guilty reading a book free online ,as authors have to be paid as well as publishers , but you can get books at very low cost from Kenny's secondhand .

Yes I live in the countryside and speak French most of the time , but perfectly ,no.
I want to relearn our own language 'gaelic ' ,and that would be great .

Don't worry, the books I get free online are the classics, with the authors long dead. I've been catching up on books I should have read in my youth, but didn't.

Anyway, we've strayed rather a lot from the original thread. Sorry about that, op. I hope your curiosity is satisfied now

Gillian

Upvote 0

JackRT

Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Some years ago I found this bit of family history composed by a man who carries my name. One of the more shameful incidents in the history of Scotland:

GLENCOE

by Alastair MacDonald

Chorus:

Oh cruel is the snow that sweeps Glencoe,
and covers the graves o'Donald.
Oh cruel was the foe that raped Glencoe,
and murdered the house of MacDonald.

They came in a blizzard, we offered them heat,
a roof o'er their heads, dry shoes for their feet,
we wined them and dined them, they ate of our meat,
and they slept in the house of MacDonald.

Chorus

They came from Fort William with murder in mind,
the Campbell had orders, King William had signed,
put all to the sword, these words underlined,
leave no one alive called MacDonald.

Chorus

They came in the night while our men were asleep,
this band of Argylls, through snow soft and deep,
like murdering foxes among helpless sheep,
they butchered the house of MacDonald.

Chorus

Some died in their beds at the hand of the foe,
some fled in the night and were lost in the snow,
some lived to accuse him, who struck the first blow,
but gone was the house of MacDonald.

• Winner
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

DW1980

Don
Supporter
Dec 12, 2017
Scotland
✟121,809.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK - SNP
My family and I were born in the United States BUT my ancestors were from Scotland, and my grandmother tells me that Queen Mary of Scots was an ancestor of mine. They were from Scotland, but some generations ago migrated to the United States and I was lucky enough to be born in Florida, a place I really like because its so tropical and has lovely beaches. I was born on the Space Coast, in Palm Bay, near Cape Canaveral when the space shuttle program was still going on (and I am a huge fan of the space shuttle programs!). Its a wicked cool place to be born I'll tell you that. :D My childhood was a blast.

Although I don't think we have any rights or claims to thrones nowadays. Scotland is not a monarchy anymore, is it?

I know a little bit about the late Queen but I don't know much about my ancestral home other than what I have seen in pictures, I have never even been there.

They like bagpipes, right? Or is that just a stereotype? :(

Are you from Scotland? What is it like?

I am Scottish :)

What's it like? Scotland Is Now | Scotland is Now :)

Bagpipes are a bit of a stereotype. They tend to be used round tourists, at Hogmanay, weddings, but we'd not really sit and listen to them. It's a bit of an acquired taste, though my dad was a piper :) A modern take on them you could look up online is the Red Hot Chilli Pipers.

Scotland is a bit of a strange place politically. We are currently part of the UK (a union of countries - Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland) though we have our own Government in Edinburgh. There's a strong move towards independence from the UK, and we have a slightly different outlook politically than the rest of the UK. In Scotland the biggest party is the Scottish National Party (SNP), headed by Nicola Sturgeon, who is also the First Minister of the Scottish Government. The SNP are Social Democrats - in contrast, England most recently voted Conservative (Theresa May is the head of the Conservative Party, which also has a Scottish branch headed by Ruth Davidson). In the EU referendum Scotland voted to remain in the EU, the rest of the UK (aside from London) voted to leave. You can check out the Scottish Government's website at www.gov.scot

Scotland is quite distinct from the rest of the UK in several other areas, we have our own legal system, our own education and health system, our own bank notes, the biggest Church is the Church of Scotland (Presbyterian). Gaelic (pronounced ga-lick, as opposed to Irish Gaelic which is pronounced more like gay-lick) is spoken mainly in the Western Isles, the west coast of the mainland and Highlands, with significant Gaelic speaking communities in the big cities (Glasgow especially).

The Queen is the head of state (as she is in several other countries, including Canada and Australia). Scotland has a kind of indifferent view of the monarchy, lots are happy with it, but lots would drop it too. So it's quite hard to say what we would do if there was a referendum on the monarchy - our constitutional issues at the moment relate more to our relationship with the UK and EU.

Otherwise, Scotland is a modern country, we're generally seen as friendly and welcoming. Glasgow, the biggest city in Scotland, was recently voted the world's friendliest city by RoughGuides. We've got fantastic cities, amazing countryside - and proud of the diversity here. I love it.

• Informative
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0