Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When any behavior or activity becomes commonplace in our culture, however evil it might be, it also becomes desensitized in our collective soul. For example, in the context of violence portrayed in the media, desensitization describes a process "by which initial arousal responses to violent stimuli are reduced, thereby changing an individual's 'present internal state'" (Carnagey, Anderson, & Bushman, 2007, p. 491). The acts become 'normalized' to us such that we can more easily accept them. We find ourselves no longer outraged by terrible acts of evil.

This process certainly occurred with the evil institutionalization of slavery. Slave owners in the south (and there were for many years owners in the north as well) and others who simply accepted it as a normal way of life at some point lost the sense of its essential evilness. As the Bible puts it (1 Tim 4:2), one's conscience is 'seared' and even if people know that the practice is far from the ideal, they are able to find seemingly valid excuses for themselves... and thus reasons to continue it.

Continued below.
Cultural Desensitization to Acts of Evil | VirtueOnline – The Voice for Global Orthodox Anglicanism

Alex Reynolds

Jan 18, 2021
Winchester
Visit site
✟9,676.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
To further your point, I have a friend who played a lot of video games, scoffed at me when I told him that this desensitized him to things like violence, but he'd laugh in movies when violent stuff happens, thing's that I am quite sensitive too. I've seen it happen.

I am not perfect I enjoy some video games here and there, but I don't like the really violent ones and I haven't seen a movie in years, don't even live with a TV for this same reason.

Upvote 0