Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is a blog, not guaranteed to be totally accurate, but I find it interesting.

It is reported that the United States has maintained an embargo and increasing sanctions against Cuba, since 1962. Plus, recently Cuba has had problems with food and medical supplies.

Yet, it seems Cuba has taken care of itself by producing its own vaccines against COVID-19, plus putting out vaccines to help other countries.

This article explains why Cuba can do this, plus how different types of vaccines work.

Cuba's five COVID-19 vaccines: the full story on Soberana 01/02/Plus, Abdala, and Mambisa | LSE Latin America and Caribbean

Last edited:

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
It's actually not as difficult as people might suppose to develop a vaccine (in fact there are open-source COVID-19 vaccine projects based on research into peptide based vaccines). The US just has a very conservative, and expensive, regulatory regime that focuses alot on safety and efficacy.

Also, Cuba has more doctors per capita than the US, as well as a great deal of medical expertise for a relatively poor country. Cuba uses its doctors as a kind of soft-power diplomacy. Cubans are also some of the healthiest people in the entire Carribean because healthcare is free and accessible in their country.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is a blog, not guaranteed to be totally accurate, but I find it interesting.

It is reported that the United States has maintained an embargo and increasing sanctions against Cuba, since 1962. Plus, recently Cuba has had problems with food and medical supplies.

Yet, it seems Cuba has taken care of itself by producing its own vaccines against COVID-19, plus putting out vaccines to help other countries.

This article explains why Cuba can do this, plus how different types of vaccines work.

Cuba's five COVID-19 vaccines: the full story on Soberana 01/02/Plus, Abdala, and Mambisa | LSE Latin America and Caribbean
There have been Cuban protests over shortages of food, medicine and everything else. Some homes are shared by more than one family.
Why protests in Cuba erupted to historic levels and what protesters want

Christians in Cuba face government regulations and restrictions. Some churches were able to meet in public, others met in secret. Prisoners were not allowed to have church services.

Some Cuban Americans sent money to their relatives in Cuba. These Cubans lived a noticeable wealthier lifestyle.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟141,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
There have been Cuban protests over shortages of food, medicine and everything else. Some homes are shared by more than one family.
Why protests in Cuba erupted to historic levels and what protesters want

Christians in Cuba face government regulations and restrictions. Some churches were able to meet in public, others met in secret. Prisoners were not allowed to have church services.

Some Cuban Americans sent money to their relatives in Cuba. These Cubans lived a noticeable wealthier lifestyle.
Gee maybe we should oughta try a carrot once every sixty years or so?

• Agree
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,680.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Gee maybe we should oughta try a carrot once every sixty years or so?
I'm sure if you starve people enough they will forget who is starving them.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
219960082_10220673084760570_4010895735597605812_n.jpg

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,204,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
State-owned (meaning, free of private interests and profit motives) and "free" don't necessarily equate to a quality product.

I could be proved wrong, and for the sake of Cubans amid the pandemic, I hope I'm wrong, but I'd be interested to see what kind of efficacy rates their in-house vaccines end up having.

As we've seen with Sputnik, Sinovac, and Sinopharm...not all vaccines were created equal.

With regards to the health of Cubans overall, while they can boast some decent numbers in certain areas due to their focus on preventative care, there's some built-in advantages to being an Island nation with restricted travel in and out that can shield them from certain types of infectious disease impacts that would effect them a lot more if they were conjoined to other nations.

Upvote 0