• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Cruel and unusual or great idea??

Discussion in 'Friendship Court' started by mistygail, Oct 21, 2002.

1. mistygail

mistygail Member

+5
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Republican
    I am stealing this topic from another site I vist. I am wondering if the views on this will be different here, among christian, than it is at the other site, where there are many unbelievers... So what are you thoughts on this?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. carmen

carmen Active Member

+1
    We are warn in the bible that cruel or harsh treatment of children with discipline will lead to a child becoming bitter or having resentment. In her anger I believe she has done much damage already with what she has sown. By the shame she has put him through. Also their must be some form of control issues here. Because I don't know many 15 year olds who would just stand there.
    In saying this I would not like to be in the CPS shoes at the moment.
    But I think Christian help is very much in need for this family. As helping to correct problems within the family rather than making them worse.

3. stillsmallvoice

stillsmallvoice The Narn rule!

+174
    Judaism
    Married
    Hi all!

Our Sages say that. "He who shames his fellow man in public has no share in the world-to-come," and that shaming one's fellow in public is tantamount to shedding their blood. I have two boys (thank God!), 2 & 6. Disciplining them when necessary is a constant challenge but I think that the Mom in question went over the line.

Be well!

ssv :wave:

4. Gerry

Gerry Jesus Paid It All

+12
    Of course the mother was wrong and you cannot sell me the idea she loves her son. She is a failure as a parent and her son has paid the price for it. I justy hope she is not insulting Christ by claiming to be a Christian as well.

5. Sharky

Sharky Rockin dude!

+158
    Christian
    Well maybe she should take a few steps back and check herself out. School is important but its not something to suffer over it.

There are people i've heard about who literally killed themselves because their parents are taking total control of their lives right into college. No choices, no nothing. Just straight A's, full on work, no freedom and a burning urge to put themselves out of the misery.

Sometimes you don't need weapons to kill people :(.

6. fieldmouse3

fieldmouse3 Contributor

+58
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    What she did was humiliating, and DEFINITELY wrong, but not abusive. She made a mistake...it doesn't make her a bad mother, but it does mean that she needs some help.

7. Dewjunkie

Dewjunkie Well-Known Member

+4
    Christian
    IMO, there are some problems with her parenting skills that go back long before her son was 15. It seems like a drastic move to move the embarassment off of her shoulders and on to his. Maybe she should stand on the corner with a sign that says "I can't get my son to obey me because I haven't instilled the values of obedience and hard work in him before now, and I hate to think what the PTA thinks of me now....."

8. Gerry

Gerry Jesus Paid It All

+12
    EXCELLENT suggestion!

9. paulewog

paulewog Father of Insanity; Child of Music.

+369
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    She could have just disciplined like it says in Proverbs. :p "spare the rod, spoil the child" ;)

(not like I felt like telling mom not to spare the rod when *I* was younger :eek: :D)

10. 4jc

4jc Active Member

+0
    Christian
    I think that is pathetic. It is degrading to the child, and the mother needs to get help. Not just help for the child to realize that homework is important, but help for her way of punishing her child. A child will NOT learn from punishment like that.
    Help for the entire family is needed. And the only help that will really help is God. I hope someone understanding can reach the mother and help her.

11. amie

amie Survivor

+7
    Non-Denom
    I think she should stand on the street corner wearing a sign that says "I'm the mom who chose to publicly humiliate my son, honk if you think I was fair" then lets see how many honks she gets! :(

12. Rae

Rae Pro-Marriage. All marriage.

+392
    Pagan
    Married
    I think that woman, and her son (does she have any other children?), and the rest of her family, need a good therapist ASAP.

13. paulewog

paulewog Father of Insanity; Child of Music.

+369
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    /me thinks they need to spend time in the Bible first.... it appears they don't have a good relationship with themsleves OR God....

14. Martin

Martin Senior Veteran

+12
    Christian
    Married
    I think that we are all agreed that she went too far.....

I'm pretty sure that if she had done that in the UK, she would have been accused of inflicting emotional abuse on her son and would in all likelyhood be a Social Services' case.

Trouble is, she is not alone. There are many parents who don't know how to parent. Again, in the UK, where parenting classes have been established, the levels of abuse and crime have significantly diminished.

I often wonder whether social trends which mean that people no longer tend to live close by to their parents and grandparents has had it's effect. When there was close proximity of the nuclear family, do you think people learn good parenting skills?

At our church we are embarking on teaching people parenting skills and the response to date has been positive - there is a need out there.....

15. Gerry

Gerry Jesus Paid It All

+12
    At least it would be a quiet neighborhood, and people could sleep at any hour.

16. psalmist

psalmist Member

+3

17. JohnR7

JohnR7 Well-Known Member

+191
    Pentecostal
    Married
    She can get a 15 year old boy to stand out on the street corner with a sign around his neck, but she can not get him to do his homework? 

With a lot of 15 year old's your doing good to get them to the supper table on time and to take a bath every now and then. How did she manage to get him to stand out on a street corner like that? Sounds to me like she is controling and manipulative.

When I was in the Philippines, I was very impressed with the school system there. They treat the students with respect and diginity. There is still some remnant in their culture where you would not ever cause another person to "lose face". They just do not degrade or belittle people and they do not tolerate that going on there.

What a contrast that is to america where so much of out television is invoved with tearing people down or trying to make them look their worst. No christian should be involved in conversation or anything that would do anything other than to build up, strengthen or encourage people.

The Bible is clear, that those who tear down and destroy, will be destroyed. Those who build up, encourage and edify in love, will be redeemed.