Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Many make the mistake of thinking Friday was the crucifixion date based on the idea that Jesus was crucified on the 6th day of the week. It is true that Jesus was crucified on the 6th day of the week. But the week was based on a Lunar/Solar calendar and not a strict Solar calendar. Therefore, the 6th day of a Lunar week can fall on any day of the week. However, the crucifixion was on the 25th of March (Julian) in 31 AD. That day is a SUNDAY.
Others have claimed that Jesus was crucified on a Wednesday because of either a mistake in thinking that Daniel 9 is applicable here or they are trying to get 3 days and 3 nights to work out to a Saturday/Sunday Resurrection.
This date of March 25th was not my own analysis but was also one of the earliest shared understandings of the dating of Jesus Crucifixion.
Now many will fret at that because they hold traditions on Friday for the crucifixion and the previous sunday as the Triumphant entry etc... It is not important to observe those events on the specific days they occurred. But knowing when they occurred IS important. It is important because only the Spring Feast days were fulfilled with yet the Fall Feast days to be fulfilled and they will happen still according to a knowledge of the original calendar as God appointed those times.

This is why you should question your traditions and how you can be deceived by them.
Interesting calculations. Does not compute.
All four gospels agree that Jesus was crucified on παρασκευὴ/parasceue which means and is translated as "preparation." At the time of Jesus, the day we know as "Friday" was called "parasceue/preparation."

Matthew 27:62
(62) Now the next day, that followed the day of the preparation, the chief priests and Pharisees came together unto Pilate,
Mark 15:42
(42) And now when the even was come, because it was the preparation, that is, the day before the sabbath,
John 19:14
(14) And it was the preparation of the passover, and about the sixth hour: and he saith unto the Jews, Behold your King!
John 19:31
(31) The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.
John 19:42
(42) There laid they Jesus therefore because of the Jews' preparation day; for the sepulchre was nigh at hand.
Parasceue remains to this day. the name of the day we call Friday.
How to say "Friday" in Greek and 6 more useful words. (languagedrops.com)

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟188,628.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It matters because we need to validate that Jesus was the Messiah and the year contributes in validating the alignment of the 70 weeks prophecy which relates to aligning sabbatical years and Jubilee years.
So Jesus is only the Messiah to you because of some math that you concocted works out? Not because He said He was or that the Father validated those claims? Seems rather shaky ground for faith to stand upon.

Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟836,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Luke 23:54; “And that day was the preparation, and the Sabbath drew on.” - Passover fell on a special Thursday sabbath.

Matthew 12:40 But Jesus said, “For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.”

John 19:31 “The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the Sabbath day (for that Sabbath day was a high day), besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.”

Corinthians 15:3-4 “…Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures.”

He died on Wednesday. It wasn't a normal Saturday Sabbath, but a special high day due to Passover on Thursday, so He was off the cross and put in the grave by 6 PM before Passover. Three days later was Saturday evening around 6:00 PM.

Reactions: BPPLEE
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,196.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Many make the mistake of thinking Friday was the crucifixion date based on the idea that Jesus was crucified on the 6th day of the week. It is true that Jesus was crucified on the 6th day of the week. But the week was based on a Lunar/Solar calendar and not a strict Solar calendar. Therefore, the 6th day of a Lunar week can fall on any day of the week. However, the crucifixion was on the 25th of March (Julian) in 31 AD. That day is a SUNDAY.

That's your opinion.
Scripture clearly says that Jesus was crucified on the day of preparation and the Sabbath was about to begin, Luke 23:54, John 19:42. Mark says that the women went to the tomb when the Sabbath was over, Mark 16:1. Matthew says that they went to the tomb on the first day of the week, Matthew 28:1.
The Jewish sabbath is sunset on Friday -> sunset on Saturday.
Sunday is the day after their sabbath, not before.

Now many will fret at that because they hold traditions on Friday for the crucifixion

And the reason for that tradition is the Gospel accounts, which say that the crucifixion was the day before the sabbath.
You agree that Jesus was crucified on the 6th day of the week - yet you are claiming that that is a Sunday? So the 7th day of the Jewish week is a Monday, and the 1st day of the week, when the empty tomb was discovered, was a Tuesday?
I'm not sure you've thought this through.

This is why you should question your traditions and how you can be deceived by them.

Maybe you should question your ideas in the light of what Scripture says.
If Jesus HAD to have been crucified on March 25th, and if that day was a Sunday, then everyone else is, and has been, wrong. Jews should not be, or have been, keeping Saturday as the sabbath; it's a Monday.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,196.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It matters because we need to validate that Jesus was the Messiah

No, we don't.
Jesus told the woman at the well in Samaria that he was the Messiah, John 4:26.
Peter declared him to be the Messiah, Matthew 16:16.
Believe the Scriptures, or don't.

• Winner
Reactions: ByTheSpirit
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Semper-Fi

Site Supporter
May 26, 2019
Pacific north west
✟404,495.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Therefore, the 6th day of a Lunar week can fall on any day of the week.

God did not use a thing called a Lunar week.

"The Hebrew week (????, Shavua) is a cycle of seven days,
mirroring the seven-day period of the Book of Genesis in
which the world is created. Each day of the week runs from
sunset to the following sunset and is figured locally.

The weekly cycle, which runs concurrently with
but independently of the monthly and annual cycles.

Hebrew calendar - Wikipedia

The weekly cycle is not locked to the monthly cycle.
The weekly cycle has been ongoing without change since
the garden of Eden, count 6 days plus 1 for the begining.

"There has been no change in our calendar in past centuries that has affected in any way the cycle of the week."—James Robertson, Director American Ephemeris, Navy Department, U.S. Naval Observatory, Washington, D.C., March 12, 1932.

"The human race never lost the septenary [seven day] sequence of week days and that the Sabbath of these latter times comes down to us from Adam, though the ages, without a single lapse."—Dr. Totten, professor of astronomy at Yale University.

"Seven has been the ancient and honored number among the nations of the earth. They have measured their time by weeks from the beginning. The origin of this was the Sabbath of God, as Moses has given the reasons for it in his writings."—Dr. Lyman Coleman.

"By calculating the eclipses, it can be proven that no time has been lost and the creation days were seven, divided into 24 hours each."—Dr. Hinkley, The Watchman, July 1926 [Hinkley was a well-known astronomer].

"It can be said with assurance that not a day has been lost since Creation, and all the calendar changes notwithstanding, there has been no break in the weekly cycle."—Dr. Frank Jeffries, Fellow of the Royal Astronomical Society and Research Director of the Royal Observatory, Greenwich, England.

There is no question about which day
the seventh day of the week is.
x

The Hebrew calendar is designed to ensure that certain holy
days and festivals do not fall on certain days of the week.
Days of week on Hebrew calendar - Wikipedia

God’s calendar months are determined by the moon.
He instructed them to observe holy days on specific
days of the month, while at the same time, during
appointed seasons in the year (Leviticus 23:4).

Gods holy days (as determined by the moon) in
their proper seasons (as determined by the sun).

The Hebrew calendar has been preserved correct by the Jews
Romans 3:1-2. In 31 AD Passover was on a Wednesday.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I do also believe that Jesus was crucified on the Day of the Preparation. Did I say otherwise? The Sabbath (First Day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread) would have begun as soon as the sun set. I disagree that the Jews (Of those days) celebrated the sabbath each sunset on Friday.
And yes, I'm saying the Crucifixion was on a Sunday and the Resurrection was on a Tuesday. I have what I believe is indisputable evidence for those that logically want to explore it.
These two paragraphs contradict each other. All 4 gospels agree that Jesus was crucified on "Parasceue/preparation." which corresponds to our Friday.
Since that is true Jesus could not have been crucified 2 days later on Sunday as your 2nd paragraph says.
See my post #4, above. Link: Crucifixion was on a Sunday - Yep, Not a Friday or a Wednesday

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,196.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They also, had a more sure knowledge of the Calendar than what the majority embraces today.

It's got nothing at all to do with the calendar.
You said that we need to validate that Jesus was the Messiah.
Jesus said that he was the Messiah - do you believe him?
If you do, that is all the validation you need.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,196.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do also believe that Jesus was crucified on the Day of the Preparation. Did I say otherwise? The Sabbath (First Day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread) would have begun as soon as the sun set. I disagree that the Jews (Of those days) celebrated the sabbath each sunset on Friday.

And yes, I'm saying the Crucifixion was on a Sunday and the Resurrection was on a Tuesday.

So the Jewish sabbath - the seventh day of the week - was/is a Monday?

I have what I believe is indisputable evidence for those that logically want to explore it.

Sorry, but I doubt that.
Scripture does not tell us the name of the day the crucifixion was on - they certainly weren't called Sunday, Tuesday or whatever.
It says clearly that the crucifixion was the day before the sabbath, on the 6th day, which you agree with.
You then say that the crucifixion was on a Sunday - even though that name is nowhere in Scripture. I don't see how you can prove what no one is told.

And besides, none of this makes any difference to our faith.

Reactions: ByTheSpirit
Upvote 0