Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Saying Trump is a poopy head and Evangelicals are too is hardly a reasonable answer to the question of what are the merits and demerits of critical race theory. For that matter, define critical race theory and why should anyone consider it useful?

Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you think it ever had to do with race? If so, when do you think it stopped having to do with race?
14th Amendment, the Voting Rights Acts, and Brown v. Board of Education.
Let's not forget the fair housing acts either.

The last of these was over 50 years ago...

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you can't explain something, you probably don't understand it that well.

Do you understand it well enough to explain CRT and why and how one would use it as a tool?

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟319,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Making something illegal doesn't make it go away. Or will you also claim that there's no more theft or murder in our country?

• Agree
Reactions: Quartermaine
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Making something illegal doesn't make it go away. Or will you also claim that there's no more theft or murder in our country?

How does CRT make something go away?

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,602.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Do you understand it well enough to explain CRT and why and how one would use it as a tool?

Only barely.

The gist is that it tries to look at systemic dynamics that can operate at the societal level to reinforce and entrench certain relationships or power imbalances even in the absence of deliberate action on the part of individual actors.

This approach can be useful as a tool when crafting social policy because it has the potential to identify avenues by which corrective measures can be taken.

• Agree
Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Actually he did know...
He just did a very poor job of explaining it.

It's just like the Nazis attitude but different people playing different roles.

There may be classism/caste based system in America...but it definitely has nothing to do with race.
Unless the Nazis sat around talking about how their own race could work to dismantle antisemetism, and asked Jewish people to share their experiences with antisemetism, no, it’s not like the Nazis attitude.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married

Yes, slavery is over, Jim Crow is over, discrimination is illegal. People of color are entirely free to start acting like white people--it's not our fault if they don't.

Upvote 0

Dryskale

Itchy, itchy
Nov 1, 2012
✟25,302.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ok...
But then why did President Trump claim that it was racist and teaching people to hate America?

Surely there is something more that isn't being explained here.
Critics of CRT think that its a way to hate the white man or whiteness. That generalization mostly comes from how minority groups react to the magority group. There is nothing inherently racsit in CRT.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dryskale

Itchy, itchy
Nov 1, 2012
✟25,302.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Critical race theory is used to understand how media, law, and culture translate and effect racial demographic groups. It is used in sociology to understand viewpoints and structures with societies and micro societies.

Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Unless the Nazis sat around talking about how their own race could work to dismantle antisemetism, and asked Jewish people to share their experiences with antisemetism, no, it’s not like the Nazis attitude.

Well....
Like I said before... different people in different positions.

Now you have black people claiming to be the superior race just like Nazis did....and instead of Jews being the bane of all that is good it's white people.

Facts are no longer relevant with CRT... only emotional anecdotes that have no basis in fact according to the critics.

And considering they are promoting equity instead of equality...I can fully believe that. That exactly what the Nazis claimed about the Jews.

• Agree
Reactions: LostMarbels
Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟319,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
How does CRT make something go away?
My comment had nothing to do with Critical Race Theory. The poster I was replying to was saying that the passage of laws/court decisions that made racist activities illegal marked the point at which any class divide in the country was no longer related to race. Which is patently ridiculous.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My comment had nothing to do with Critical Race Theory. The poster I was replying to was saying that the passage of laws/court decisions that made racist activities illegal marked the point at which any class divide in the country was no longer related to race. Which is patently ridiculous.
And your assertions of "ridiculous" needs support in a material fashion. Especially since we had a black Presidency.

• Agree
Reactions: LostMarbels
Upvote 0

Dryskale

Itchy, itchy
Nov 1, 2012
✟25,302.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well....

Now you have black people claiming to be the superior race just like Nazis did....and instead of Jews being the bane of all that is good it's white people.

Facts are no longer relevant with CRT... only emotional anecdotes that have no basis in fact according to the critics.

And considering they are promoting equity instead of equality...I can fully believe that. That exactly what the Nazis claimed about the Jews.
I'm not sure where you got any of that. CRT has nothing to do with any race being supported. Its a theoretical model to look at how systems, media, and culture effect racial demographics.

Reactions: hedrick
Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure where you got any of that. CRT has nothing to do with any race being supported. Its a theoretical model to look at how systems, media, and culture effect racial demographics.

Post number 11 has quotes from people who would know.

Upvote 0

Dryskale

Itchy, itchy
Nov 1, 2012
✟25,302.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
From Wikipedia:
Critics of CRT, including Richard Posner and Alex Kozinski, take issue with its foundations in postmodernism and reliance on moral relativism, social constructionism, and other tenets contrary to classical liberalism.

Now that is beginning to make some sense as to why Trump would claim something.

Here's more:
Judge Richard Posner of the U.S. Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals has "label[ed] critical race theorists and postmodernists the 'lunatic core' of 'radical legal egalitarianism.'"[37] He wrote:[37]

What is most arresting about critical race theory is that…it turns its back on the Western tradition of rational inquiry, forswearing analysis for narrative. Rather than marshal logical arguments and empirical data, critical race theorists tell stories – fictional, science-fictional, quasi-fictional, autobiographical, anecdotal – designed to expose the pervasive and debilitating racism of America today. By repudiating reasoned argumentation, the storytellers reinforce stereotypes about the intellectual capacities of nonwhites.

So...that's more explanation than what has been given to date.

Jeffrey J. Pyle wrote in the Boston College Law Review:[40]

Critical race theorists attack the very foundations of the [classical] liberal legal order, including equality theory, legal reasoning, Enlightenment rationalism and neutral principles of constitutional law. These liberal values, they allege, have no enduring basis in principle, but are mere social constructs calculated to legitimate white supremacy. The rule of law, according to critical race theorists, is a false promise of principled government, and they have lost patience with false promises

That's pretty bad...
All this is reminisce of the Nazis attitude towards the Jews. That kind of hate speech is illegal in most countries around the world.

I've witnessed real racism...
And where a claim can be made for classism or that a caste based society is evolving in America it most certainly is not based upon racial lines. And I've witnessed plenty of people who have elevated themselves out of their caste in remarkable ways to remarkable ends.
I still don't get where you are getting this Nazi comparison, considering that CRT is a subset of Critical Theory, which was conceived and invented by the Frankfurt School who were run out of Nazi Germany for being critical of the Nazis and many of them being Jewish themselves.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well....

Please post a citation that shows that Critical Race Theory teaches that blacks are the superior race, that facts are “no longer relevant,” and a citation showing that Nazis sought equity with Jews.

You’re posting absolute lies and it’s disgusting.

Upvote 0