Cringeworthy: The trailer just dropped for ‘The Pope’s Exorcist,’ with Fr. Gabriele Amorth played by Russell Crowe...

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sony Pictures released the trailer for the upcoming film about Father Gabriele Amorth.

The film entitled “The Pope’s Exorcist,” follows the life of Rome’s former chief exorcist, Father Gabriele Amorth.

Academy Award-winning actor Russell Crowe will portray Father Amorth.

Father Amorth was Rome’s chief exorcist from 1986 until his death in 2016 at age 91. As of 2013, he reportedly performed approximately 160,000 exorcisms during his career.

In 1990, the Italian priest co-founded the International Association of Exorcists. The organization now has several hundred members.

Father Amorth spoke about the many ways in which the demonic affects the world, including attacks on politicians and the family.

He also said invoking St. John Paul II is a powerful weapon against the demonic, explained that “ISIS is Satan,” and discussed St. Padre Pio’s battles with demons. He personally knew Padre Pio for 26 years before the saint’s death.

Sony Pictures said they based “The Pope’s Exorcist” on Father Amorth’s writings, including his exorcism accounts.

According to the movie’s official website, they based the film’s story on Father Amorth’s books, including “Fr. Gabriele Amorth: An Exorcist Tells His Story” and “An Exorcist: More Stories.”

Australian screenwriter and director Julius Avery, who directed the project, obtained licensing from Loyola Productions and producer Michael Patrick Kaczmarek of Jesus & Mary.

Watch the trailer below: (warning – disturbing images)

Continued below.

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟276,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, the trailer looks wild and wooly. :) But not out of character for those kinds of movies, frankly. I have watched a lot of those "demonic possession" movies, and in my humble opinion, less is more. You don't need bodies sailing through the air or gouts of blood squirting like garden hoses to display evil. The Exorcist is the standard template, of course, and you can see elements of that film in Crowe's latest presentation: the low, demonic voice coming from a female child; the levitations; the wounds and scars on the victim's body, etc. All that comes from William Friedkin's 1973 offering, and it's been copycatted ad nauseam ever since.

Movies which I have seen and appreciated in the same vein are The Exorcism of Emily Rose from 2005 (which incorporates the topic of the "victim soul"); The Possession, from 2012, which has the novel twist of a Jewish rabbi exorcising a dybbuk, or evil spirit, from a small Gentile girl; The Unborn from 2009, which also has a Jewish rabbi; 2011's The Rite, starring Anthony Hopkins; and related movies such as The Haunting, The Amityville Horror, The Conjuring, and The Entity. I've also enjoyed smaller, TV movies based on actual incidents, such as 1991's The Haunted (describing the experiences of the Smurl family in Pennsylvania), and 1992's Grave Secrets: The Legacy of Hilltop Drive, based on Ben Williams' book The Black Hope Horror. Most of these movies have the ability of getting their point across without being massively graphic, but there are plenty of others (Crowe's movie here appears to be yet another one) where the directors apparently feel that the more nastiness the audience's noses get rubbed in, the better the movie will be. I stringently disagree, but what can you expect in an era where we have such charming motion picture series such as Saw and I Spit On Your Grave? :confused:

The other thing that struck me about this trailer was the fact that Crowe seems to speak more like a mob hitman than a Catholic priest---"You gotta problem with me, then you talk to my boss: da Pope." That was amusing but unbelievably corny.

Anyway, maybe I'll see it, maybe I won't. I certainly won't be bating my breath until it's available on Roku, that's for sure. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0