Criminal attack (was Vandalism) Knocks out power to 40,000 in North Carolina; Jan 6 Protestor claims God was chastising county for drag show

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
[Sheriff] Fields said investigators “have not been able to tie anything back to the drag show,” which was scheduled in the town of Southern Pines at 7 p.m. Saturday, around the time the power went out.

The head of the LGBTQ+ group that helped organize the drag show said Monday she was unaware of any threats to the event before the attacks. Lauren Mathers, the executive director of Sandhills PRIDE, told CNN they received a lot of “hateful comments” on social media, but nothing that could be considered a threat.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,455.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
No, specifics. Better security? How? Redundancies? What sort?
I don't think I'm qualified to lay out the specifics of a resilient electrical infrastructure. Nor do I think is that required of me.

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟47,931.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
don't think I'm qualified to lay out the specifics of a resilient electrical infrastructure. Nor do I think is that required of me.
Required? No, not at all. Yet to say the US needs to do "something" implies a specific "something" that the US isn't doing. I'm amazed at two specifics:

1. I know of another utility that has portable substations. Duke has none?
2. I know of substation transformers changed out in less that 24 hours, including bringing in the crane. Duke can't do that?

Those are my specific "somethings."

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟47,931.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was going to say. I can't imagine a MORE clearcut case of domestic terrorism. I wonder if people who agree with her about divine punishment for a dragshow will ALSO consider it domestic terrorism.
Acts of God are one thing; acts of idiots are quite another.

Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟47,931.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In Ukraine, they have cruise missiles flying at their power infrastructure every couple of days, and usually they have most things running within 24 hours. And the US can't deal with a couple of bullet holes?
I don't know if the Ukrainians have.

Upvote 0

JosephZ

Mar 25, 2017
Davao City
Visit site
✟230,439.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
1. I know of another utility that has portable substations. Duke has none?
2. I know of substation transformers changed out in less that 24 hours, including bringing in the crane. Duke can't do that?
"Somebody with a high-powered rifle puts a bullet through the case of a transformer and once it goes into the case of the transformer it hits the coils of the transformer, shorts it out, and it's gone; That that device is no longer operable," said Wellinghoff. "It can't be fixed, it needs to be replaced. It cannot be repaired."

"A lot of these transformers also are sort of one-offs. It's not like you can cookie-cutter replace them with another one from some other utility in the next county or the next state," said Wellinghoff. "They have to be made sort of custom for the particular substation that they're in. So if they don't have spares for that particular substation, it could take a considerable amount of time."

Following the Metcalf sniper attack on a substation in 2013, it took over three weeks to make repairs and bring the substation back online. If Duke Energy is able to get the substations that were attacked over the weekend back online by Thursday, that will be a commendable achievement.

• Informative
Reactions: Don't Panic
Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,455.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
"Somebody with a high-powered rifle puts a bullet through the case of a transformer and once it goes into the case of the transformer it hits the coils of the transformer, shorts it out, and it's gone; That that device is no longer operable," said Wellinghoff. "It can't be fixed, it needs to be replaced. It cannot be repaired."

"A lot of these transformers also are sort of one-offs. It's not like you can cookie-cutter replace them with another one from some other utility in the next county or the next state," said Wellinghoff. "They have to be made sort of custom for the particular substation that they're in. So if they don't have spares for that particular substation, it could take a considerable amount of time."

Following the Metcalf sniper attack on a substation in 2013, it took over three weeks to make repairs and bring the substation back online. If Duke Energy is able to get the substations that were attacked over the weekend back online by Thursday, that will be a commendable achievement.
Sounds like the obvious solution is to make transformers bulletproof.

That should go for everything in the USA, really. I wouldn't want to live in a home in the USA where a stray bullet could kill me after going through the wall.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,189,908.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Don’t be silly. It needs automated turrets to return fire.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,455.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Don’t be silly. It needs automated turrets to return fire.
What good is an active defense if the transformers go out and the turrets aren't powered? Or are you suggesting that the automated turrets run with a diesel generator?

Of course you still need an active defense, or a passive defense would only postpone the attacker and make them waste more ammunition that could be shot at people instead of infrastructure.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,440.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced

That should go for everything in the USA, really. I wouldn't want to live in a home in the USA where a stray bullet could kill me after going through the wall.
You should probably start by bullet proofing the kids...

What size body armor should you buy for my kids?

If you're looking for a soft body armor vest for your child (which is rated to stop bullets from a handgun) you are most likely going to need to purchase an Extra Small or Small vest.
If you are looking for protection against rifle rounds such as .223 or 5.56 you are going to need to upgrade to hard body armor plates. These plates are generally thicker, heavier, and as their name suggests, harder than soft armor panels and vests. Children and smaller framed adults will generally need 8"x10" plates.
Be advised that hard armor plates will require the purchase of a plate carrier which allows the plates to be worn front and back. When purchasing a plate carrier, be sure to confirm that the carrier is designed to carry 8"x10" plates.

OB

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,119.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,455.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
You should probably start by bullet proofing the kids...

What size body armor should you buy for my kids?

If you're looking for a soft body armor vest for your child (which is rated to stop bullets from a handgun) you are most likely going to need to purchase an Extra Small or Small vest.
If you are looking for protection against rifle rounds such as .223 or 5.56 you are going to need to upgrade to hard body armor plates. These plates are generally thicker, heavier, and as their name suggests, harder than soft armor panels and vests. Children and smaller framed adults will generally need 8"x10" plates.
Be advised that hard armor plates will require the purchase of a plate carrier which allows the plates to be worn front and back. When purchasing a plate carrier, be sure to confirm that the carrier is designed to carry 8"x10" plates.

OB
I think that the sensible design choice would be small pockets of artificial blood in front of the plates or amor resistant fabric. That way, the children look like they bleed out and become less interesting for a school shooter who is going for a high kill count.

Maybe also go for a shock pad that delivers a non-lethal but incapacitating jolt of electricity. You can't expect children to convincingly play possum when surrounded by their dead and dying classmates, at least before high school.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,440.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
I think that the sensible design choice would be small pockets of artificial blood in front of the plates or amor resistant fabric. That way, the children look like they bleed out and become less interesting for a school shooter who is going for a high kill count.

Maybe also go for a shock pad that delivers a non-lethal but incapacitating jolt of electricity. You can't expect children to convincingly play possum when surrounded by their dead and dying classmates, at least before high school.

That makes a lot of sense.

OB

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Attachments

• 1670357087454.png
    1670357087454.png
    377.3 KB · Views: 10
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Don't Panic

Nov 25, 2022
Newfield
✟2,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private

Or we could work on our gun problem. Nah

• Optimistic
Reactions: NxNW
Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟47,931.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I know of a utility that maintains an equipment yard the size of some small towns. Have circled it before on company business. So when the town I mentioned had a transformer go bad, they loaded a replacement on a flatbed and headed to the substation.

It the other instance, the bad transformer happened during an ongoing natural disaster, and the utility connected circuits to a different substations. That's not always possible, but they were able to do it for that one while a portable substation headed their ways. These are basically transformers permanently mounted on a flatbed ready to be connected. That was put into place before a replacement headed to the site, and it took the pressure off. I don't remember when the replacement arrived.

The key thing in both instances is that these utilities had spares. If they didn't have spares, they would have been left trying to scrounge one. That portable substation was handy, too, and was used when changing out transformers as part of normal upgrades as well as for emergencies. This old man is wondering why Duke doesn't have something similar.

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟47,931.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Transformers are already in metal shells, and the big transformers weigh into the tons. Use tonnes if you like. Transformers tend to get hot and need cooling, and that's a factor in their design as well.

Upvote 0

JosephZ

Mar 25, 2017
Davao City
Visit site
✟230,439.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
That portable substation was handy, too, and was used when changing out transformers as part of normal upgrades as well as for emergencies. This old man is wondering why Duke doesn't have something similar.
They do.

duke energy.png

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Perhaps I'm the wrong person to speak on this being an atheist...

But why is it that people insist on claiming that anything bad that happens in a place where something happened that they don't like is an "act of God"?

I remember some televangelists, and their followers, attributing hurricanes (the ones hitting the areas hurricanes have always frequently hit) as "God's punishment for people accepting homosexuality"

I get it, there's plenty to be "not to thrilled about" with regards to drag shows catered to children, but they're going on all over the place, so to find one example of an infrastructure issue happening in one of the many cities where these things go on, and claiming "see, that's proof God is angry and doesn't like it!" seems silly.

Makes about as much sense as:
"Hey, you see! Minnesota legalized certain forms of pot and we had a snow storm, that's proof God is angry with those hippies legalizing weed!"

Upvote 0