Raleigh, NC
✟18,036.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
yeah, how old is your brother? i think not knowing the death of someone is quite different than admitting you've never heard of someone.
My age. He just barely recalled that Lennon was in the Beatles on prompting.

sigh. some people just live under a rock musically. how are you hydra?
Doing good.

Upvote 0

Pats

I'll take that comment with a grain of salt
Oct 8, 2004
Arizona, in the Valley of the sun
Visit site
✟14,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
PATS! How are things going for you?

Hey, CC, Raven, everybody :wave:

Things are going ok, Rave, thanks. I have been busy getting ready to start school and a number of fun things. :)

Plus, my children are really keeping me busy at the moment. My teenager is in a new phase of having some complaint to try and evade school on a weekly basis. :sigh:

Upvote 0

BigToe

You are my itchy sweater.
Jun 24, 2003
Sudzo's Purple Palace of Snuggles
Visit site
✟35,932.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
ah, i remember wanting to skip school. then i went to boarding school where it was altogether more difficult.

right now i am watching the documentary "Trekkies" and this woman being interviewed dresses her doggie up.

Reactions: Praxiteles
Upvote 0
America's cup or the Whitbread?

Yes.

*Unsure of whether US has missed the rhyming slang, or has not and is just carrying on with the jokiness, Prax is not certain of how to proceed with the conversation.

There was a song came out in the 70s called "Nice Legs, Shame About The Boat Race", and your egyptian getup reminded me of it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
I've never been able to crack the code of rhyming slang. I've also never heard of the song so I was doubly in the dark.
Wow, that's dark!

Boat race = face. Ergo, the song was about a girl who had a great set of pins, but had a face like pasta mishap. As a child of about 9 or 10, I found the whole concept terribly amusing. Children, eh?

And you didn't see my legs when I was wearing my trailer trash getup?
I may not have seen that. Last time I was regularly haunting this place you were still in your leathers. If it predated your leathers, well... I dinnae remember it, laddy.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Wow, that's dark!

Boat race = face. Ergo, the song was about a girl who had a great set of pins, but had a face like pasta mishap. As a child of about 9 or 10, I found the whole concept terribly amusing. Children, eh?

I may not have seen that. Last time I was regularly haunting this place you were still in your leathers. If it predated your leathers, well... I dinnae remember it, laddy.

I had almost cracked it, but what throws me off with the rhyming slang is the use of two words to replace one. I was thinking - "rice eggs, lollypop amendment uber gummy face" so I almost had it.

If you're around for 10 more minutes, you can see the duds I'm talking about.

Upvote 0
I had almost cracked it, but what throws me off with the rhyming slang is the use of two words to replace one. I was thinking - "rice eggs, lollypop amendment uber gummy face" so I almost had it.
:D

Gosh, so close...

Yeah, I must admit that rhyming slang is not necessarily intuitive - especially when a word or two is omitted.

For example, a look is a "butcher's" (butcher's hook) and road is a "frog" (frog and toad). It really has to be a part of one's culture/subculture for it to make sense.

If you're around for 10 more minutes, you can see the duds I'm talking about.
Ah, now that I see it, a bell is ringing quite strongly in the back of my head.

Upvote 0
I learned a new phrase that is exactly like the song title - butterface. As in "I like everything about her but her face".

*shrug*

Well, you don't look at the mantlepiece while you're stoking the fire, do you? :holy:

Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Status
Not open for further replies.