Feb 17, 2005
Shah Alam, Selangor
Visit site
✟26,381.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
consideringlily has re-identified herself as Lilandra. She is still the same person she was offline. But is she still the same person online? Are all our experiences with her modulated through the identity of her user ID, so that our interactions with her will now all be subtly different? Or is it possible to preserve some core of her online identity (indeed, if such a thing exists) that remains invariant through all those strange changes, so that we are essentially still talking to the same person?

Ship of Theseus and Star Trek transporters, I've been reading too much sociology and philosophy. It's still good to have you around. :)

Upvote 0

Lilandra

Princess-Majestrix
Dec 9, 2004
state of mind
Visit site
✟19,703.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
consideringlily has re-identified herself as Lilandra. She is still the same person she was offline. But is she still the same person online? Are all our experiences with her modulated through the identity of her user ID, so that our interactions with her will now all be subtly different? Or is it possible to preserve some core of her online identity (indeed, if such a thing exists) that remains invariant through all those strange changes, so that we are essentially still talking to the same person?

Ship of Theseus and Star Trek transporters, I've been reading too much sociology and philosophy. It's still good to have you around. :)
thankie.:)

I suppose I have changed a great deal in real life also. Strangely due in part to online interactions. But the core of me is essentially the same.

Upvote 0

shernren

you are not reading this.
Feb 17, 2005
Shah Alam, Selangor
Visit site
✟26,381.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
thankie.:)

I suppose I have changed a great deal in real life also. Strangely due in part to online interactions. But the core of me is essentially the same.
Isn't that strange? For all you know, we could all just be extremely cleverly programmed AIs. That such interactions could change lives is just unthinkable. Welcome to the new world.

:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MissVegas

Veteran
Feb 23, 2006
Las Vegas
✟2,763.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Lilandra

Princess-Majestrix
Dec 9, 2004
state of mind
Visit site
✟19,703.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.