ActionJ

Beware ... not really a " Chr
Jan 27, 2013
✟10,638.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private
This topic has probably been dealt with many times before but I'm fairly new to this site and would like some fresh ideas and/or opinions.

For many years I believed that a Christian should be buried upon death. As the old saying goes: "he should have a good, Christian burial." However, I've been wondering lately if it really matters if a person is buried or cremated upon death.

There are many biblical examples of noted, biblical persons being buried or placed in a tomb but I can't think of a situation where any biblical Patriarch or Prophet or Apostle was ceremoniously cremated based on his personal will or wishes.

On the other hand, I'm sure that millions of good Christians have died in fires for one reason or another. Many were burned during the Inquisitions while others may have died in house fires, plane crashes, or by some other means.

So does it really matter from a biblical, Christian standpoint?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm planning to write a will. Burial is far more expensive than simple cremation and I don't want to be a financial burden on anyone when I pass on. I'm only 52 so, hopefully, I have a long ways to go but it doesn't hurt to plan.

What are your thoughts?

contango

...and you shall live...
Jul 9, 2010
Sometimes here, sometimes there
✟16,996.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your body is not who you are; it is where you live temporarily.

^ This

Once you are dead your body is effectively just the bit you've finished with.

Personally I like the idea of a woodland burial. If you go with the big fancy funeral you get a brushed aluminium coffin set inside a stone vault and your body is embalmed, and every phrase the funeral director utters costs you four figures. With a woodland burial you get a coffin that's either a large cardboard box or a large wicker basket, which is put into a hole in the ground and a tree planted over the top.

Whereas conventional cemetaries feel like places of death with regimented rows of chiselled granite headstones, the woodland burial ground feels like places of life - native flowers are grown on the burial plots, even plot is marked with a tree and there's the general sight and sound of wildlife.

Reactions: ActionJ
Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Singpeace is right - God has our DNA and our body is just the temple we live in while on this earth. Burial has just about gotten out of the reach of all of us - $10,000 to $14,000 - who can afford it? The Bible says we came from dust and dust we will return - one way or the other.

Upvote 0

ActionJ

Jan 27, 2013
✟10,638.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private
Thanks for the answers so far.

The thing that has always concerned me (from my Christian perspective) is the second resurrection of the body. True ... we're given a new, glorified body but the following passage is always lingering in the back of my mind:

Matthew 27:50-53
, "Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost. And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent; And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose, And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many."

Could this event have happened had all of those folks who "appeared unto many" been cremated?

Upvote 0

contango

...and you shall live...
Jul 9, 2010
✟16,996.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the answers so far.

The thing that has always concerned me (from my Christian perspective) is the second resurrection of the body. True ... we're given a new, glorified body but the following passage is always lingering in the back of my mind:

Matthew 27:50-53
, "Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost. And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent; And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose, And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many."

Could this event have happened had all of those folks who "appeared unto many" been cremated?

No more and no less than if they had been killed in an explosion, or a monstrous car wreck, or a plane crash, or been eaten by lions, or burned at the stake, or killed in a burning building, or any other form of death that involved mutilation or destruction of the body either during or after death.

Upvote 0

contango

...and you shall live...
Jul 9, 2010
✟16,996.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As another point I'd be a little careful of anything described as "a good, Christian" anything. If it's supported by Scripture that's one thing. If it's just a case of a church tradition being presented as a "good, Christian" option as if it were the only option that's another thing entirely.

There's nothing wrong with personal preferences and there's nothing wrong with church traditions. There's a lot wrong when personal preferences and church traditions get presented as if they were theologically required. Using terms like "a good, Christian (something)" can easily create an implication that alternatives are not "good, Christian" options in ways that are potentially unhelpful.

If a church only ever served chocolate ice cream at its summer picnics it would clearly be absurd if people were to say they wanted a "good, Christian ice cream" as they reached for the chocolate ice cream, as if strawberry ice cream were somehow less Christian or an inferior flavour. Maybe you like chocolate ice cream more than strawberry but it's an issue of preference rather than theology. Although it's a silly example it does highlight how things can take on a significance they don't deserve.

Upvote 0

ActionJ

Jan 27, 2013
✟10,638.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private
No more and no less than if they had been killed in an explosion, or a monstrous car wreck, or a plane crash, or been eaten by lions, or burned at the stake, or killed in a burning building, or any other form of death that involved mutilation or destruction of the body either during or after death.

So what you're saying is that the bodies seen by many could have been a spiritual body or the actual soul rather than a physical body. I'm not arguing with you but simply trying to grasp the truth of the matter.

When the Apostles saw Christ after His resurrection He wasn't initially easy to recognize. Thomas had to literally touch Christ's body to quell his doubts. That being the case, a change in the body likely took place and the "true" body of the individual (whether Christ's or the those who were resurrected upon His death) were seen -- rather than their actual flesh and blood bodies.

Whatever the case, I'm in the process of Binging "woodland burials."

Upvote 0

contango

...and you shall live...
Jul 9, 2010
✟16,996.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So what you're saying is that the bodies seen by many could have been a spiritual body or the actual soul rather than a physical body. I'm not arguing with you but simply trying to grasp the truth of the matter.

I couldn't say for sure but it's entirely possible. I don't see any reason why we shouldn't be given new bodies post-resurrection. In a world with no more sorrow and no more pain it would seem necessary that those who suffer with significant physical infirmities in this world would have a body free from such issues in the next.

Whatever the case, I'm in the process of Binging "woodland burials."

Don't know if you get them in the US but they seem to be growing in popularity over here.

Upvote 0

Daughter of His

Believing God
Feb 1, 2004
On my computer chair
✟76,711.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
This passage speaks to me on the subject.

Ezekiel 37:4-10
4 Then he said to me, “Prophesy to these bones and say to them, ‘Dry bones, hear the word of the Lord! 5 This is what the Sovereign Lord says to these bones: I will make breath[a] enter you, and you will come to life. 6 I will attach tendons to you and make flesh come upon you and cover you with skin; I will put breath in you, and you will come to life. Then you will know that I am the Lord.’”

7 So I prophesied as I was commanded. And as I was prophesying, there was a noise, a rattling sound, and the bones came together, bone to bone. 8 I looked, and tendons and flesh appeared on them and skin covered them, but there was no breath in them.

9 Then he said to me, “Prophesy to the breath; prophesy, son of man, and say to it, ‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says: Come, breath, from the four winds and breathe into these slain, that they may live.’” 10 So I prophesied as he commanded me, and breath entered them; they came to life and stood up on their feet—a vast army.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ActionJ

Jan 27, 2013
✟10,638.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private
=contango;63147065]As another point I'd be a little careful of anything described as "a good, Christian" anything. If it's supported by Scripture that's one thing. If it's just a case of a church tradition being presented as a "good, Christian" option as if it were the only option that's another thing entirely.

Thanks for your wisdom but the term "good, Christian" was used as an adjective to describe the burial. It's simply an old adage that has been used for decades (centuries?).

There's nothing wrong with personal preferences and there's nothing wrong with church traditions. There's a lot wrong when personal preferences and church traditions get presented as if they were theologically required. Using terms like "a good, Christian (something)" can easily create an implication that alternatives are not "good, Christian" options in ways that are potentially unhelpful.

Nevertheless, "goodness" does exist and if something is good then it's likely not bad. If I stated that a "good, Christian burial" is theologically "required" then I retract that statement and humbly apologize.

Upvote 0

ActionJ

Jan 27, 2013
✟10,638.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private
This passage speaks to me on the subject.

Ezekiel 37:4-10
4 Then he said to me, “Prophesy to these bones and say to them, ‘Dry bones, hear the word of the Lord! 5 This is what the Sovereign Lord says to these bones: I will make breath[a] enter you, and you will come to life. 6 I will attach tendons to you and make flesh come upon you and cover you with skin; I will put breath in you, and you will come to life. Then you will know that I am the Lord.’”

7 So I prophesied as I was commanded. And as I was prophesying, there was a noise, a rattling sound, and the bones came together, bone to bone. 8 I looked, and tendons and flesh appeared on them and skin covered them, but there was no breath in them.

9 Then he said to me, “Prophesy to the breath; prophesy, son of man, and say to it, ‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says: Come, breath, from the four winds and breathe into these slain, that they may live.’” 10 So I prophesied as he commanded me, and breath entered them; they came to life and stood up on their feet—a vast army.

Interesting!!

I wonder if the Prophecy is literal or is speaking to us metaphorically? It's something to consider.

I simply lean towards doing things in a biblical way and since our biblical Patriarchs were all buried it seems (in a very general sense) that we should endeavor to follow the biblical example if possible. I'm starting to like the idea of "woodland burial" over cremation.

Upvote 0

ActionJ

Jan 27, 2013
✟10,638.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private
To me it just lets me know, burial or cremation, God will do His mighty works with His power at the time of resurrection.

Amen to that!!

If He could create us from nothing then He can do anything.:amen:

Upvote 0

Cuddles333

May 5, 2011
Denver
✟30,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The reason the ancient Jews would gather the bones of their loved ones after a year of the body being in a cave decaying, was for the bones to be placed together with others who have passed on. For them to be preserved till the general resurrection. This practice came to an end when Jerusalem was destroyed in 70 A.D.

In Christianity there is the greatest emphasis on the bodily resurrection so there is a great importance on preserving the body.... not just the bones. However, there are many instances where the body no longer is available for resurrection (wartime explosions, etc.) and then a re-creation of the person's body by God is necessary.

Medical science today has shown that a person need not be dependent upon their body to experience life after death so cremation is a viable option for people now.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

contango

...and you shall live...
Jul 9, 2010
✟16,996.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for your wisdom but the term "good, Christian" was used as an adjective to describe the burial. It's simply an old adage that has been used for decades (centuries?).

Nevertheless, "goodness" does exist and if something is good then it's likely not bad. If I stated that a "good, Christian burial" is theologically "required" then I retract that statement and humbly apologize.

You never said that a "good, Christian burial" was required, I just wanted to mention how easy it is to refer to something as "good, Christian" when the truth is it's little more than a tradition that may have originated within the church somewhere.

If something is "good" then it's not "bad", although when something is traditional it's not necessarily "good" or "bad", it's just a tradition. It's also worth noting that something being "good" doesn't mean that other options are "bad" or even less good.

Upvote 0

dentonz

Feb 4, 2006
Virginia
✟23,788.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
This topic has probably been dealt with many times before but I'm fairly new to this site and would like some fresh ideas and/or opinions.

For many years I believed that a Christian should be buried upon death. As the old saying goes: "he should have a good, Christian burial." However, I've been wondering lately if it really matters if a person is buried or cremated upon death.

There are many biblical examples of noted, biblical persons being buried or placed in a tomb but I can't think of a situation where any biblical Patriarch or Prophet or Apostle was ceremoniously cremated based on his personal will or wishes.

On the other hand, I'm sure that millions of good Christians have died in fires for one reason or another. Many were burned during the Inquisitions while others may have died in house fires, plane crashes, or by some other means.

So does it really matter from a biblical, Christian standpoint?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm planning to write a will. Burial is far more expensive than simple cremation and I don't want to be a financial burden on anyone when I pass on. I'm only 52 so, hopefully, I have a long ways to go but it doesn't hurt to plan.

What are your thoughts?

Let's see, I assume that you believe the Apostles of Christ will be ressurected. What condition do you think their bodies are in after being buried for 2000+ years. What about the Christians who were tore apart and eaten by the lions in the colliseum? Their bodies were digested, yet when the time comes, God will ressurect them and give them new bodies just as well as those of us who are still alive and remain on this earth when he returns. I don't believe it matters what happens to this tent after we have left it.

God spoke life into existence from nothing, so I don't believe he will have any problem ressurecting your body no matter what state of decay it is in.

Upvote 0

ActionJ

Jan 27, 2013
✟10,638.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private
Let's see, I assume that you believe the Apostles of Christ will be ressurected. What condition do you think their bodies are in after being buried for 2000+ years. What about the Christians who were tore apart and eaten by the lions in the colliseum? Their bodies were digested, yet when the time comes, God will ressurect them and give them new bodies just as well as those of us who are still alive and remain on this earth when he returns. I don't believe it matters what happens to this tent after we have left it.

God spoke life into existence from nothing, so I don't believe he will have any problem ressurecting your body no matter what state of decay it is in.

I still have to consider the examples set by men of the Bible. It seems that it was taken for granted that burial was the preferred method where funerals were concerned when given a choice. There's not much we can do about circumstances beyond our control. Even though I am still considering requesting cremation in my will my wife says that she will not comply with that request and that she will have me buried. LOL. I guess I won't be able to argue with her.:)

Abraham and Sarah were buried: Genesis 25:10
Rachel was buried: Genesis 35:19
Isaac was buried: Genesis 35:29
Rebekah & Leah: Gen 49:31
Jacob (Israel): Gen 50:14
Miriam: Numbers 20:1
Aaron: Deuteronomy 10:6
Joseph: Joshua 24:32
Gideon: Judges 8:32
Samuel: 1 Samuel 25:1
Saul: 2 Samuel 2:4
Jonathan: 2 Samuel 21:14
David: 1 Kings 2:10
Solomon: 1 Kings 11:43
Rehoboam: 1 Kings 14:31
Jehoshaphat: 1 Kings 22:50
Elisha: 2 Kings 13:20
Jesus: 1 Corinthians 15:4

The above list is small compared to the actual biblical list of men who were buried. I also find it interesting that the Prophet, Jeremiah, made it a point that the evil men of his day should NOT be buried but should lie upon the earth as "dung." Apparently, it was his opinion that burial was too good for them.

Anyway, I'm not certain that it's really a huge issue. I suppose it boils down to a person's conscience.

Upvote 0