the Kingdom of God
✟19,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My Drawing of Coco from Animal Crossing. I tried to add ruffles and lace to her dress and changed the color to make it look more gothic. This is the first of a bunch of creepy/gothic animal crossing characters I plan to draw. I don’t think any of them are as creepy as Coco, but if people think it’s too creepy for a Christian website, I won’t post any more.
I know that this isn’t as good as most of the art on this forum, but I did work hard on this so no negative comments please.
D280985A-F97B-40FE-AAA5-33006333F5FD.jpeg

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My Drawing of Coco from Animal Crossing. I tried to add ruffles and lace to her dress and changed the color to make it look more gothic. This is the first of a bunch of creepy/gothic animal crossing characters I plan to draw. I don’t think any of them are as creepy as Coco, but if people think it’s too creepy for a Christian website, I won’t post any more.
I know that this isn’t as good as most of the art on this forum, but I did work hard on this so no negative comments please.
View attachment 310337
It is far less creepy than the original Coco.
I like yours better.
128px-Coco%27s_Poster_NH_Texture.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Private
I like her better than the original actually.
Your version has more character
View attachment 310337

Upvote 0

Vesper_Jaye✝️

Truth-Seeker
Dec 29, 2021
the Kingdom of God
✟19,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is far less creepy than the original Coco.
128px-Coco%27s_Poster_NH_Texture.png
I tried to make it as creepy as the original, but it’s hard to copy her blank stare. I guess it’s a good thing that it didn’t turn out so creepy though.

Upvote 0

Vesper_Jaye✝️

Truth-Seeker
Dec 29, 2021
the Kingdom of God
✟19,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Vesper_Jaye✝️

Truth-Seeker
Dec 29, 2021
the Kingdom of God
✟19,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's all about geometry. Do you have a good protractor?

I don’t know. If I have a protractor I probably have either lost or broken it - I’m not good at keeping up with things lol. I’m sure I can either look for a not broken one or buy a new one. Are you an artist?

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My Drawing of Coco from Animal Crossing. I tried to add ruffles and lace to her dress and changed the color to make it look more gothic.

Welcome! Always good to get more artists dropping by.

I don't know much about Animal Crossing, despite doing most of my art on a Nintendo 3ds (a lot of the colorslive folks do play animal crossing). But it does look creepy!

I like the outfit. Is this colored pencil?

Upvote 0

Vesper_Jaye✝️

Truth-Seeker
Dec 29, 2021
the Kingdom of God
✟19,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Welcome! Always good to get more artists dropping by.

I don't know much about Animal Crossing, despite doing most of my art on a Nintendo 3ds (a lot of the colorslive folks do play animal crossing). But it does look creepy!

I like the outfit. Is this colored pencil?
It is colored pencil! Thank you! I’ve heard of colorslive before and I really want to learn how to do digital art. Is it harder than drawing on paper?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is colored pencil! Thank you! I’ve heard of colorslive before and I really want to learn how to do digital art. Is it harder than drawing on paper?

Some parts are harder, and some are easier. It is easier because you can hit undo, and you don't have clean-up! And you have unlimited supplies. It is harder because you have to get accustomed to drawing on a much different surface. And even with a pressure sensitive pen you don't have quite the same dynamic brush strokes.

You don't have to mix color, but that means you also don't learn as much about mixing, and it is harder to use a brush effect with multiple colors.

You can be very precise in the size, amount of transparency, softness of the brush, etc. So that is helpful.

If you have a Nintendo 3ds you can just get the download for about 8 bucks and try it out with the built in stylus. It does not have pressure sensitivity, but it does have three brushes, (soft round, hard round, and bristle) an eraser, undo, layers, etc. It is actually a great way to get started on digital painting as it is very simple.

I have a pen tablet for the computer, and I have an android phone with a stylus, but I find myself picking up the Nintendo more often because I like the shortcut buttons. It really makes the process easy once you get accustomed to it. And the simple tools let me focus on getting right into the painting without worrying about what brush I will use, etc.

If you have a Switch you can get a retail package or order online and it comes with pressure-sensitive pen, some different brush options, a simple select and move tool, etc. But it costs more.

Traditional art is good for building skills. But I do enjoy digital.

The other nice part about colorslive in particular is that you can watch playbacks of people's art to see how they do things. The gallery is why most people stay on colorslive. It is not the most capable program. But it has a built in audience. And with the recent Switch release the gallery has been pretty active.

I usually make updated post-process versions of artwork from colors using another program to adjust levels. But here is my colorslive gallery so you can see what it looks like with the playback:

Colors Live - tall73

While you are there you might check out this artist who uses only an old ipod touch with colorslive, using his finger! So it is possible without a stylus, but a stylus makes it easier.

Colors Live - mcollins

If you have a smartphone you can get some free programs such as autodesk sketchbook to get a bit of a feel for how things work. Or if you prefer the desktop Krita is a good free program. But you might have to use a mouse there unless you have a touch screen or tablet.

That is still possible though! A lot of artists in the old days used just a mouse.

I think this one I used a mouse because my tablet broke:

standing_tall_by_m7feettall_dcsjknc-fullview.jpg

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟402,721.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Nice! I concur with the above. You should get into digital art as your style lends itself well to it. I've been working with digital tools for some 20 years and I'd be glad to make recommendations on programs and approaches if you're interested. There are many great tools across the different platforms, and many of them are very reasonable or even free.

I've actually worked on a series of games for Nintendo that teaches people how to draw and paint called Art Academy. I saw Colors and 3DS talked about above, so I couldn't help mention it! If you happen to have a 3DS, you may find Pokémon Art Academy a good bridge between traditional and digital media, plus you get to learn about art in a fun way and draw Pokémon :)

Blessings!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Vesper_Jaye✝️

Truth-Seeker
Dec 29, 2021
the Kingdom of God
✟19,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'd be glad to make recommendations on programs and approaches if you're interested
YES! THANK YOU!!!

My 3DS broke a few years ago. I hope to get another one eventually, but for now I would need to use either a phone, laptop, or Nintendo switch for drawing. I’ve not actually tried a digital art program or app yet but when I use apps where you can draw, the lines always look lumpy and weird. Would that change if I was actually using a digital art app, or is there some kind of technique for drawing smoother lines?

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟402,721.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
YES! THANK YOU!!!

My 3DS broke a few years ago. I hope to get another one eventually, but for now I would need to use either a phone, laptop, or Nintendo switch for drawing. I’ve not actually tried a digital art program or app yet but when I use apps where you can draw, the lines always look lumpy and weird. Would that change if I was actually using a digital art app, or is there some kind of technique for drawing smoother lines?

Oh, right! Well, there is an adjustment period going from traditional to digital media.

Digital
There are many benefits to be working digitally, and I don't need to repeat what tall73 wrote above. In short, though, there are endless possibilities and it's a very flexible way of working. It'll change the way you think and approach art, and it can open many doors.

Stylus
Perhaps the first thing I can recommend when using touch screens is painting with a stylus as opposed to your fingers. Now, you'll have a few different experiences with pens across the different devices. Good pens would for example be Wacom for PC, Apple Pencil for iPad, and the equivalents for Microsoft Surface and Samsung (that is, any tablets that come with or are advertised with their own stylus pens).

General stylus pens for devices that haven't been made with proper stylus support tend to be a little clunky and imprecise. Switch stylus pens would also fall into this category. 3DS was made with stylus in mind, but Switch isn't. You can get used to using pens like these, but if you're able to get a cheap Wacom for your laptop, or iPad with Apple Pencil, for example, you may grow to find that a lot more precise and easier to use.

Programs
Here are a few recommendations for programs/apps on the different devices:

PC

Paid: Adobe Photoshop
This is the industry-standard tool for all things 2D and is what I use. It's a fantastic and rich tool, with a lot of support and tutorials. It requires a subscription fee, similar to Netflix, however.

Cheaper option: Affinity Photo
It's a pretty sophisticated tool and not miles away from Photoshop, and it can be bought at a reasonable one-off fee.

Free: Krita
This is essentially a stripped-down version of Photoshop that's entirely free. It may be a good program to try before committing to anything paid.

iPad
Paid: Procreate
This is perhaps the best and most commonly used art app on iPad. What's good about this is that you'll be able to find a lot of support and tutorials for it.

iPad/Android tables
Free: Adobe Fresco
There are some paid features in this app, but I believe the free version is very comprehensive. There are many other free apps for iPad/Android, but Fresco is likely the most sophisticated and rich app out there. It's essentially Photoshop made for touch screens.

Digital art tools can look a little overwhelming and intimidating, but I think if you can invest in a stylus and go with a commonly used program/app, you'll adjust in no time! I'd be glad to talk about practical methods and art theory, but this is probably enough for now! Sorry for the lengthy post!

Blessings!

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I’ve not actually tried a digital art program or app yet but when I use apps where you can draw, the lines always look lumpy and weird. Would that change if I was actually using a digital art app, or is there some kind of technique for drawing smoother lines?

Using a good stylus helps with smooth lines. But some programs also use a smoothing feature, with adjustable strength. If you turn it too high it can take away some of the nuance from your line. But if you just use a little it helps to keep lines smooth. Some programs may call this line stabilization.

Upvote 0

Alistair_Wonderland

Apr 14, 2018
New Philadelphia
✟28,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Coco is cute. And creepy. One can be both. I like your version; she looks scary but not an evil sort of scary. Like a Tim Burton person who would end up actually being really sweet.

Also, whoever would ban art for being "too creepy for a Christian site" clearly doesn't know their bible too well. I would direct them to the book of Daniel or Revelations, in such a case. I mean, Jesus appears as a seven-eyed, seven-horned zombie lamb in Revelations 5:6. If that isn't creepy, I don't know what is..

And don't even get me started on the Catholic ossuaries that are basically Dark Souls IRL.

That said. I love creepy things. God made all things, including the creepy ones. Deep sea fish and spiders and centipedes are all part of His works, so I don't see why creepy should be considered bad.

Upvote 0