Creationists: What have you studied re: evolution? What resources have you specifically used?

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
If you're a creationist (e.g. one who rejects evolution as an explanation for diversity of life on Earth) and you've studied the subject, what have you specifically studied? Have you taken any courses in biology (e.g. high school, college, online)? Have you read any books on evolution? Which ones? Do you use online publications? Have you read any scientific journals?

In short, as a creationist, what resources have you used to learn about evolution?

(And for anyone who wants to learn about biology and evolution, I have a list of free university-level courses and other material here: Educational resources for learning about biology and evolution )

Last edited:

Rachel20

May 30, 2020
STX
✟58,109.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Honestly, very little. But then I'm not really interested in the subject. I know there are Christians who've studied in detail - some accept the theory as sound, others not so much. Personally, it's not a theological problem for me. That said, I've watched debates about it on sites like this and others, and find the answers of many evolutionists boil down to "you're just ignorant" - I don't find that helpful at all.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Honestly, very little. But then I'm not really interested in the subject. I know there are Christians who've studied in detail - some accept the theory as sound, others not so much. Personally, it's not a theological problem for me. That said, I've watched debates about it on sites like this and others, and find the answers of many evolutionists boil down to "you're just ignorant" - I don't find that helpful at all.
That is simply untrue. Explanations are given to creationists but since they do not understand even the basics of science it is inevitable that their ignorance is pointed out to them. Now be honest, is that all that they do or do they offer a solution? In other words do they offer a way out of ignorance?

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
That is simply untrue. Explanations are given to creationists but since they do not understand even the basics of science it is inevitable that their ignorance is pointed out to them. Now be honest, is that all that they do or do they offer a solution? In other words do they offer a way out of ignorance?

Can I ask a favor? Please don't derail the thread yet with a debate. I'd prefer if creationists could just respond to the OP before the thread goes off the rails.

Upvote 0

driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟260,554.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Can I ask a favor? Please don't derail the thread yet with a debate. I'd prefer if creationists could just respond to the OP before the thread goes off the rails.
I was on the edge to answer in the same spirit as Subduction Zone. But because you used the magic word (Please), I will grant you the favour you ask for. ;)

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟453,908.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Ignorant are the ones they think we are a brain only and don't know God, just listen what an 'old fool' tells you. ;)

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Ignorant are the ones they think we are a brain only and don't know God, just listen what an 'old fool' tells you. ;)

Do you have an answer re: the OP?

Have you studied biology and evolution at all? If so, what resources have you used?

Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have read (or tried to) many papers on evolution. But once you get past the abstract (the sales pitch) the whole thing goes down the rabbit hole, which can only be believed/understood by dedicating body and soul to the study. Most serious papers are aimed at a peer audience, not for instructing the general public.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I have read (or tried to) many papers on evolution. But once you get past the abstract (the sales pitch) the whole thing goes down the rabbit hole, which can only be believed/understood by dedicating body and soul to the study. Most serious papers are aimed at a peer audience, not for instructing the general public.

Yes, scientific journals are generally aimed at those with a background in the subject.

Have you ever tried to study evolution at a more basic level? For example through courses, textbooks, or other sources like that?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟453,908.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you have an answer re: the OP?

Have you studied biology and evolution at all? If so, what resources have you used?

I have discerned my soul, God has blessed it and was attacked by the enemy too. For what i am going to study evolution other than trying to discuss it? which i did to some extent, evolution says we are a piece of meat only and a creator is not needed for it to work.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
For what i am going to study evolution other than trying to discuss it? which i did to some extent, evolution says we are a piece of meat only and a creator is not needed for it to work.

How did you study it? What resources did you use?

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I have not studied evolution but, science is not speaking the truth about creation as a whole, the earth, sun, moon and stars, so why go any further.

Evolutionist should be thankful that these creationist who reject Gods true creation given in the Bible. They keep many from knowing the true creation, by debating and trying to make Adam fit in the creation, that science created for evolution to be believed. This way creationist will never prove anything.

They simply can not see that evolution will not work in Gods creation described in the Bible, but they reject this creation. Then they take Adam out of Gods creation and place him in sciences creation and try to disprove evolution.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If you're a creationist (e.g. one who rejects evolution as an explanation for diversity of life on Earth) and you've studied the subject, what have you specifically studied? Have you taken any courses in biology (e.g. high school, college, online)? Have you read any books on evolution? Which ones? Do you use online publications? Have you read any scientific journals?

In short, as a creationist, what resources have you used to learn about evolution?
I believe in creation and I accept that there is evidence of evolution. I also accept that the earth is ancient.

The Genesis account is a simple account about creation and not a scientific paper.

Mankind has always been wrong about everything throughout history. Even today, I see no change in the depth of stupidity that envelopes mankind.

I studied science at university.

Though I doubt, that the empirical method will ultimately unlock the mysteries of the universe. Rather, the empirical method has been generating, more and more, difficult questions.

Reactions: Pioneer3mm
Upvote 0

Rachel20

May 30, 2020
STX
✟58,109.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I have discerned my soul, God has blessed it and was attacked by the enemy too. For what i am going to study evolution other than trying to discuss it? which i did to some extent, evolution says we are a piece of meat only and a creator is not needed for it to work.
Since that is blatantly false, you must not have studied evolution to any significant extent at all.

Upvote 0

Theodoric

Feb 21, 2018
Tennessee
✟18,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
To the OP:

You're an Athiest. What have you specifically studied? Have you taken any courses in biblical studies (e.g. high school, college, online)? Have you read any books on systematic theology? Which ones? Do you use online publications? Have you read any theological journals?

Why would you? So you could impress some random stranger on the internet with how well read you are on a subject that you don't believe and have no interest in?

Your question was pompous and self-serving.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
You're an Athiest.

No, I'm not.

Why would you? So you could impress some random stranger on the internet with how well read you are on a subject that you don't believe and have no interest in?

You'll notice we're in the Creation/Evolution subforum. So in context of discussing these subjects it's certainly a peritenent question to ask people what they've studied of the subject at hand.

Now if I were arguing about general Christian theology, then asking me which Biblical studies I have done would be more relevant. But I'm not. In fact, I rarely post in those forums.

However, I do post in the C/E forum a lot. In the context of the creation/evolution debate, I have read a variety of literature including:
  • More articles than I can count from sources like Answers in Genesis, Creation Ministries International and the Institute for Creation Research. This even includes chunks of ICR's RATE project, among other published literature.
  • Various books on Intelligent Design including Darwin on Trial, Darwin's Black Box, No Free Lunch, and Darwin's Doubt.
  • Various published papers by proponents of Intelligent Design (primarily Meyer, Dembski, and Axe). This includes papers specifically promoted by the Discovery Institute on their main site, as well as a handful of papers published through Bio-Complexity (an ID journal).
  • Various videos including Kent Hovind's entire video lecture series on creationism, a few Ray Comfort videos, and handfuls of others on ID/creationism. (I even read through a bunch of Hovind's 'thesis paper' that was leaked on the internet.)
  • I also specifically studied the Dover trial when it was underway and wrote a paper on it for a law class in university.
  • And an anecdote of note: when I first learned about creationism I visited a local Christian bookstore with the express purpose of buying a book on creationism. Except they didn't carry any.
And FWIW, I have read various portions of the Bible itself. Though I tend not to have delved as much into the theological debates outside of the C/E debate.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0