Creationists: How exactly did the fall of man change biological organisms?

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
The fall of man is often cited by creationists are the point which death entered the world, organisms began changing, etc.

My question is how did the fall specifically affect biological organisms causing them to change?

Was this change supernatural in nature? Were their deliberate, creative decisions being made in this process? Were new organisms being created? Or did it just involve modifying existing organisms?

Or did the fall simply trigger biological evolution in organisms? E.g. reproducing and mutating and diversifying from their originally created states?

Or was it some combination of factors?

Creationists: How exactly did the fall do things with respect to biology?

Last edited:

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,908,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Creationists: How exactly did the fall do anything?
I once speculated that Adam's DNA could have been "flat" -- that is, not "twisted."

(Since we live in a "twisted world.")

But I don't necessarily hold to that anymore.

We know that thorns and thistles started appearing as a result of the Fall; probably as a result of the decaying process.

Try and picture the universe in Genesis 1 as a giant ice sculptor, with an endless supply of frigid air keeping it spotless.

Then the fall occurs, and that frigid air is withdrawn.

What happens? the universe starts melting.

We're living in just such a universe.

One that started out pristine, and is now in a state of entropy.

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟176,762.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
I once speculated that Adam's DNA could have been "flat" -- that is, not "twisted."

Thank goodness!
DNA's 'twist' is a result of its molecular interactions with liquid water.
This is one of the key reasons for questioning speculated life on any non-Earth body, where long-lived liquid water supplies are not physically possible.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,908,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
DNA's 'twist' is a result of its molecular interactions with liquid water.
If I remember correct, someone explained to me that it was tension that pulled DNA into a double helix.

Kind of like a rubber ladder, with its rungs too short. twisting it out of shape.

Else Adam would be something like a mile tall.

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟731,631.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
Try and picture the universe in Genesis 1 as a giant ice sculptor, with an endless supply of frigid air keeping it spotless.
Sounds like a world that like ice, looks nice and clean, but is without vitality and life force and mystery. Sounds pretty boring and I don't think it's anywhere near what God would create.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟790,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
The fall of man is often cited by creationists are the point which death entered the world, organisms began changing, etc.

My question is how did the fall specifically affect biological organisms causing them to change?

Was this change supernatural in nature? Were their deliberate, creative decisions being made in this process? Were new organisms being created? Or did it just involve modifying existing organisms?

Or did the fall simply trigger biological evolution in organisms? E.g. reproducing and mutating and diversifying from their originally created states?

Creationists: How exactly did the fall do anything?
You are asking two questions, no?
1. How did the fall specifically affect biological organisms causing them to change?
This is related (I think) to the notion that any suffering or apparent harm is related to sin, and caused by the devil.
2. How exactly did the fall do anything? This is a much more Biblical question, less speculation is necessary. The bible says in Adam all died (I think obviously speaking of spiritual death. This is the doctrine of original sin.)

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,908,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sounds like a world that like ice, looks nice and clean, but is without vitality and life force and mystery. Sounds pretty boring and I don't think it's anywhere near what God would create.
:doh:

Similies can be confusing, can't they?

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟176,762.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
If I remember correct, someone explained to me that it was tension that pulled DNA into a double helix.

Kind of like a rubber ladder, with its rungs too short. twisting it out of shape.

Else Adam would be something like a mile tall.
These guys have a nice explanation here:
In order to further prevent the nitrogenous bases from coming into contact with cell fluid, the molecule twists to reduce space between the nitrogenous bases and the phosphate and sugar strands.

• Informative
Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
You are asking two questions, no?
1. How did the fall specifically affect biological organisms causing them to change?
This is related (I think) to the notion that any suffering or apparent harm is related to sin, and caused by the devil.
2. How exactly did the fall do anything? This is a much more Biblical question, less speculation is necessary. The bible says in Adam all died (I think obviously speaking of spiritual death. This is the doctrine of original sin.)

I meant the latter with respect of the former (changes in biology).

And I'm familiar the doctrine of sin, claims that fall involved corruption of creation, etc.

I'm asking specifically how it could change biological organisms and how that worked.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private

We know that thorns and thistles started appearing as a result of the Fall; probably as a result of the decaying process.

Then the fall occurs, and that frigid air is withdrawn.

What happens? the universe starts melting.

We're living in just such a universe.

One that started out pristine, and is now in a state of entropy.

Sounds like you are implying the original creation was a fixed, static thing. That seems a contradiction with the Biblical texts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟790,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
I meant the latter with respect of the former (changes in biology).

And I'm familiar the doctrine of sin, claims that fall involved corruption of creation, etc.

I'm asking specifically how it could change biological organisms and how that worked.
ok Well, and not that you don't know this, but not all believers claim it did change biological organisms.

And somewhat to the contrary, there is speculation that sin is actually in the DNA. I can only guess what that means.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Abiding in Holiness was entirely prophylactic for the Man & Woman, and their domain.

Removing Holiness destroyed that order like a Jenga tower.

Upvote 0

Job 33:6

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟295,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I typically view the fall as a product of man trying to grapple with the issues of sin. The story of genesis strongly points at things like sin, shame, lying, blaming, dishonesty etc. As all being issues observed at the fall. And that mankind is separated from God in these acts.

It's an expression of brokenness.

Young earthers may have thought that meat eating dinosaurs used their sharp teeth to eat coconuts before the fall. But I think most lay Christians and more on the liberal end of things recognize that death long predated mankind. Which is to say that no physical death or sin entered the world that didn't previously exist at any point in the history of mankind. Though perhaps there was a time where a human being made a sentient choice to sin for the first time. Though often times these are viewed as spiritual issues, moreso than physical issues.

Just as when Jesus died for our sins, he didn't stop all humanity from physically dying. No more did Adam begin the process of physical death. These are spiritual issues.

Are we within Adam, born of the world, or in Jesus born again?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Creationists: How exactly did the fall do things with respect to biology?

I believe it was supernatural and then natural changes followed that, developed by chance, mutations and isolation. Creationists are not against small changes such as loss of DNA or one species finding an area more suitable than another. If a striped species was more easily able to blend in the grass, in a world that had turned carnivorous, it would make sense that more of those that didn't blend in would get eaten.

I don't believe there was any new organisms only changes in existing ones.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Abiding in Holiness was entirely prophylactic for the Man & Woman, and their domain.

Removing Holiness destroyed that order like a Jenga tower.

What does that have to do with the biology in question? Not looking for analogies. Looking for explanations of the biology involved.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What does that have to do with the biology in question? Not looking for analogies. Looking for explanations of the biology involved.
These details are just conjecture on my part,
IIUC, we have various micro-organisms that live inside our bodies, including beneficial bacteria that aid in digestion.

We also have bad bacteria that are normally kept in check. When our body's [immune?] systems are out of balance, the latter can proliferate and make us sick.

I believe that the missing element of Holiness may have stabilized that balance all of the time, rather than most of the time like our current immune system does. With Holiness still in place, either the bad bacteria were not present at all OR their presence was beneficial in ways that we currently do not understand.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,533.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
These details are just conjecture on my part,
IIUC, we have various micro-organisms that live inside our bodies, including beneficial bacteria that aid in digestion.

We also have bad bacteria that are normally kept in check. When our body's [immune?] systems are out of balance, the latter can proliferate and make us sick.

I believe that the missing element of Holiness may have stabilized that balance all of the time, rather than most of the time like our current immune system does. With Holiness still in place, either the bad bacteria were not present at all OR their presence was beneficial in ways that we currently do not understand.
Intriguing proposal. Any actual evidence in support of it? Any way you might test the hypothesis?
Edit: I recognise that you described it as conjecture, but often conjecture is promoted by a snippet or two of evidence. And testing can still be envisaged for conjectures.

Last edited:
Upvote 0