Creationists: Does the earth look old?

awstar

Aug 21, 2004
✟572.00
Faith
Methodist
Freodin said:
A simple question: does the earth and the universe look old?

No. Compared to the only other planets I have seen (through pictures only, of course) it looks pretty new. Nice colors, fluffy white clouds that float over blue waters, green growth, etc. Very pretty. Very young looking.

Upvote 0

funyun

aude sapere...sed praeterea, aude esse
Feb 14, 2004
Visit site
✟4,544.00
Faith
Atheist
awstar said:
No. Compared to the only other planets I have seen (through pictures only, of course) it looks pretty new. Nice colors, fluffy white clouds that float over blue waters, green growth, etc. Very pretty. Very young looking.

That's some quality scientific investigation there, Watson.

Watch out Scientific Method!!! There's a new player in town!!!

Upvote 0

awstar

Aug 21, 2004
✟572.00
Faith
Methodist
funyun said:
That's some quality scientific investigation there, Watson.

Watch out Scientific Method!!! There's a new player in town!!!

He didn't ask for scientific method. He asked for observation. Why do you ridicule others for following instructions? How about an apology?

Reactions: TwinCrier
Upvote 0

funyun

aude sapere...sed praeterea, aude esse
Feb 14, 2004
Visit site
✟4,544.00
Faith
Atheist
awstar said:
He didn't ask for scientific method. He asked for observation. Why do you ridicule others for following instructions? How about an apology?

See, observation is part of the scientific method. So, no, I will not apologize. Saying that the universe must be young because it is pretty (a subject concept) is a ridiculous claim.

Reactions: Brahe
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dragar

Like the root of -1
Jan 27, 2004
✟14,331.00
Faith
Atheist
Side question: Without ever hearing or knowing anything in or from science, why does the earth look old to you?

Without hearing or knowing anything from science, I don't have a clue how I would possibly distinguish old planets from new ones.

It's not like I have lots of planets that I know are young and lots I know are old, so I can compare what they look like.

Dragar

Upvote 0

Arikay

HI
Jan 23, 2003
Visit site
✟21,317.00
Faith
Taoist
If you completly threw away science, then the earth looks however you want it to look. Since science (such as geology) is the study of the earth, we are only left with opinions and guesses.

And stars are just pin pricks on a black sheet. Germs don't exist, you get sick because you have too much blood, let me release some of that blood for you. Tomorrow you will either feel better, or be dead, but at least we will be certain on your condition. :)

Upvote 0

Hydra009

bel esprit
Oct 28, 2003
Raleigh, NC
✟18,036.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
GodSaves said:
Side question: Without ever hearing or knowing anything in or from science, why does the earth look old to you?
I'll bite. Certain parts of the world, such as the Grand Canyon look as if they are much older than 6,000 years old to me. Many fossils (like dinosaur bones) also have that appearance to me.

But I think whether something appears to be young or old is irrelevant. Our perceptions can be fooled. What matters is whether or not it is young or old in actuality. Radiometric dating has proven that the Earth is much older in actuality than previously thought.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Freodin said:
A simple question: does the earth and the universe look old?
It does not look old to me here in ohio, maybe 6000 to 12000 years old. But there are signs of a old earth that was here before. For example you can see on one of the islands up on lake erie groves cut in the rock by the glaciers from the ice age. So, if you were to look at that, the earth looks older.

Upvote 0

Lonnie

Nov 17, 2003
US
✟17,704.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I think the earth is young.

But I have never seen up close an old earth, and then compared it to a young earth.

So I would imagine it would be hard to tell if the world is old using just science.(you have NOTHING to compare it to(that has life on it, livable atmosphere, ect)

I infer from the bible though, that the world is not millions of years old.(and have inferred from what I have seen no claims that can scientificly prove otherwise, that have not been refuted)

Upvote 0

Hydra009

bel esprit
Oct 28, 2003
Raleigh, NC
✟18,036.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Lonnie said:
So I would imagine it would be hard to tell if the world is old using just science.(you have NOTHING to compare it to(that has life on it, livable atmosphere, ect)
Actually, we have quite a lot of other astronomical bodies to compare it to.

Upvote 0