Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I can live with an older dormant Earth, but Christianity falls apart without a literal Original Sin by our proto-parents. I call my view Kenotaxy* which proposes a "dormant gap" for an indeterminate amount of time. It is different than the usual "gap" theories.

During that gap there was not yet
  1. light [Day 1],
  2. air to breathe [Day 2] nor
  3. dry land [Day 3].
No life as we currently know it could thrive under those conditions.
After God said, "Let there be light" [Genesis 1:3], my timeline agrees with that of the YECs.

*Means "recent arrangement."

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
For those of you who are creationists and believe in a young earth, tell me what convinced you that your position is true, from a scientific standpoint. And when you became a creationist. TIA!

Creationism or Theistic evolution are both faith based positions.
It is ones view of the bible that determins ones position, not ones view of science.

Is science more authoritive than the bible? For me the bible has a far higher authority than that of any scientific theory or atheistic scientist.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Creationism or Theistic evolution are both faith based positions.
It is ones view of the bible that determins ones position, not ones view of science.

Is science more authoritive than the bible? For me the bible has a far higher authority than that of any scientific theory or atheistic scientist.
Not all scientists are atheists. I know what the Bible teaches but I want supporting evidence from science to back up the Bible’s teachings.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  • Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

J_B_

I have answers to questions no one ever asks.
May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I’m in the process of leaving my LCMS church ...

I'm sorry to hear that. I had my struggles with the LCMS as well - not with creation vs evolution, that was never a concern for me - but with other things. I considered leaving and also faced the, "But where do I go?" question. In the end I realized I had been missing the point all that time. I hope you find peace in Christ and a community you can embrace.

Reactions: FaithT
Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry to hear that. I had my struggles with the LCMS as well - not with creation vs evolution, that was never a concern for me - but with other things. I considered leaving and also faced the, "But where do I go?" question. In the end I realized I had been missing the point all that time. I hope you find peace in Christ and a community you can embrace.
Thank you. There’s a church (ND) I’d visited 1 or 2 times, a few years ago. I’ve been watching their services online for the last couple weeks and am interested. Only problem is it’s 15 minutes away and I have anxiety disorders so driving there will make me nervous. I’ll pass a number of other churches along the way. Plus there are a lot of churches closer to me. Is 15 minutes a far drive to attend services?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

J_B_

May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There’s a church (ND) I’d visited 1 or 2 times, a few years ago.

That would be quite the theology switch. Most NDs tend toward a Reformed theology and would reject evolution. If they swing the other way, you may be talking a Joel Osteen prosperity message or a liberal "everything is OK" message. None of that appeals to me.

Is 15 minutes a far drive to attend services?

I lived in a larger city until recently, so 15 minutes was a typical drive to get anywhere.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That would be quite the theology switch. Most NDs tend toward a Reformed theology and would reject evolution. If they swing the other way, you may be talking a Joel Osteen prosperity message or a liberal "everything is OK" message. None of that appeals to me.

I lived in a larger city until recently, so 15 minutes was a typical drive to get anywhere.
I was told by one of the pastors that it’s ok to believe in an old earth and believe in theistic evolution as long as I follow 4 non negotiables, one being that God created the universe, two) the world didn’t organize itself on its own, three) people were a unique distinct and intentional creation of God and four) we have sinned. They seem to be against the prosperity gospel and everything is not ok. I’m good with this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I was told by one of the pastors that it’s ok to believe in an old earth and believe in theistic evolution as long as I follow 4 non negotiables, one being that God created the universe, two) the world didn’t organize itself on its own, three) people were a unique distinct and intentional creation of God and four) we have sinned. They seem to be against the prosperity gospel and I’m good with all this.
I went there today.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Keep in touch. I'd be curious to know how it goes for you there.
Ok. I can tell you that I have anxiety and I was anxious there because of the drive and being away from my house without my husband so I left a couple minutes early. I’ll probably go back but I’d feel more comfortable if it was closer.

If I don’t get comfy, I plan on returning to Catholicism.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I’m back in the LCMS! long story short, I tried Catholicism again (online) and a ND church but they just weren’t home. I missed my church.

Reactions: Daniel9v9
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

J_B_

May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I’m back in the LCMS! long story short, I tried Catholicism again (online) and a ND church but they just weren’t home. I missed my church.
I hope you find peace with your decision.

Upvote 0