Oct 20, 2015
✟171,835.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm just wondering how varied understandings of creation can be and still remain within (or is that under) the umbrella of conservative Christianity. Heard a guy explain his view of divinely guided evolution to the point where humans appeared which was when God gave them a soul. This seems rather radical to me as I have always believed God literally created Adam & Eve, although I am not a six day creationist. I know the arguments for literal 24 hour days in Genesis 1 but feel comfortable seeing them as ages, and with the "gap" between Genesis verses 1 & 2.

How much of evolution theory can be can be incorporated into a conservative Christian view of Scripture?

PizzaAddict

Jun 23, 2019
Krakow
✟11,331.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'm just wondering how varied understandings of creation can be and still remain within (or is that under) the umbrella of conservative Christianity. Heard a guy explain his view of divinely guided evolution to the point where humans appeared which was when God gave them a soul. This seems rather radical to me as I have always believed God literally created Adam & Eve, although I am not a six day creationist. I know the arguments for literal 24 hour days in Genesis 1 but feel comfortable seeing them as ages, and with the "gap" between Genesis verses 1 & 2.

How much of evolution theory can be can be incorporated into a conservative Christian view of Scripture?

Basically nothing , evolution is "in theory " animals evolving gradually over long period of time with many deaths untill few survive and evolve into others .

Bible claims there was no death at all untill Adam and Eve sinned so it's just plain contradiction .

People believe what they believe in the end .

Upvote 0

creslaw

Site Supporter
Oct 20, 2015
✟171,835.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Basically nothing , evolution is "in theory " animals evolving gradually over long period of time with many deaths untill few survive and evolve into others .

Bible claims there was no death at all untill Adam and Eve sinned so it's just plain contradiction .

People believe what they believe in the end .
I am not sure of the Bible passage you are referring to. Could it mean spiritual death?

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think that it is difficult to be true to the text and glean anything other than a six-day creation. It seems to me that any other interpretation is based on reading our contemporary philosophical conclusions back into the text and trying to make it work. Had modern Darwinian philosophy not existed, I don't believe that we'd have ideas such as Day-Age, Gap, or what have you.

As for whether any of that falls under the umbrella of being "conservstive", I don't know. I think that trying to make the meaning of the text fit our modern sensibilities is something other than conservative, although, as with anything else, I think that pursuing truth is more important than being able to claim a certain label such as "conservative"; although I do find that many "conservative" opinions tend to be correct.

Upvote 0