Creation, the Origin of Life and the Gospel

Is the Genesis account of creation related to the promise of eternal life in the NT?

• Total voters

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Let's start off with an exposition. In Gen. 1 we have the description of creation week. God ‘created’ (H1254 בָּרָא bara'), the word translated ‘created’ is used once of the origin of the universe (Gen. 1:1), once in regards to life in general (Gen. 1:21) and three times to speak of the origin of Adam and Eve (Gen. 1:25; Deut. 4:32). Repeated in connection with the Sabbath (Gen. 2:3), which was the purpose of the fourth commandment (Exodus 20:8-11; Deut. 5:12-15), it was a weekly reminder of God’s work in creation. The generations (genealogy) of man from Adam to Noah (Gen. 2:4; 5:1). The creation of God’s habitation on Zion which is the hill Jerusalem sits on (Isa. 4:5), the creation of Israel (Isa. 42:1; Isa 42:15) and the righteousness that brings salvation (Isa 45:8; Rom. 3:21-23).

If the posters are not too busy worrying about whether or not the earth is flat, some might want to consider the New Testament implications of the Genesis account of creation. The way I see it is if God didn't create life in the first place, what does that tell us about the promise of eternal life in the New Testament?

Grace and peace,
Mark

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟250,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
All of the Bible is important and creation is true God created a literal Adam and Eve and Adam brought sin into the world and upon man.

But a person can receive eternal life not knowing the above information. As long as he/she/they trust in the promised Messiah from Old Testament prophecies for His gift of His eternal life. That is the object (The Messiah) that gives a person eternal life. Look to Him and live.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
All of the Bible is important and creation is true God created a literal Adam and Eve and Adam brought sin into the world and upon man.

But a person can receive eternal life not knowing the above information. As long as he/she/they trust in the promised Messiah from Old Testament prophecies for His gift of His eternal life. That is the object (The Messiah) that gives a person eternal life. Look to Him and live.
I understand the simplicity of the gospel, but there are a few things worth considering. First of all the most commonly recognized holy day on the Jewish calendar was the Sabbath that commemorated creation week. Why would that be if it was all figurative, should be think the same thing about Passover this Easter weekend? Israel, according to Scripture was created by God, the same word for special creation in Genesis is used to describe the creation of Israel. The resurrection, the incarnation, new birth and let's not forget the promise of the new heavens and the new earth. How can we dismiss these things as irrelevant to God's creation of life 'in the beginning'.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Jesus isn't called the second Adam for nothing, I suppose.
Some 400 times in the OT Adam's name is used synonymously with humanity, just as Israel's name is used synonymously with the nation that descended from him. From the genealogy in Luke's Gospel:

the son of Enosh,
the son of Seth, the son of Adam,
the son of God.
(Luke 3:38)

Adam had no earthly father, it's the only explanation that makes sense, he was created. The passage where Jesus is called 'the second Adam' has this to say, according to Paul:

Sin came as the result of, 'many died by the trespass of the one man' (Rom. 5:15), 'judgment followed one sin and brought condemnation' (Rom. 5:16), the trespass of the one man, death reigned through that one man (Rom. 5:17), 'just as the result of one trespass was condemnation for all men' (Rom. 5:18), 'through the disobedience of the one man the many were made sinners' (Rom. 5:19).
Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟250,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I understand the simplicity of the gospel, but there are a few things worth considering. First of all the most commonly recognized holy day on the Jewish calendar was the Sabbath that commemorated creation week. Why would that be if it was all figurative, should be think the same thing about Passover this Easter weekend? Israel, according to Scripture was created by God, the same word for special creation in Genesis is used to describe the creation of Israel. The resurrection, the incarnation, new birth and let's not forget the promise of the new heavens and the new earth. How can we dismiss these things as irrelevant to God's creation of life 'in the beginning'.

I never said none of that was not literal ( i believe it is ) and many people believe that creation is literal and many of the Jews in the past did too. But the single condition whether a person has received eternal life is have they trusted in the Messiah for eternal life.
As Jesus said
You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me. But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life.

Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I never said none of that was not literal ( i believe it is ) and many people believe that creation is literal and many of the Jews in the past did too. But the single condition whether a person has received eternal life is have they trusted in the Messiah for eternal life.
As Jesus said
You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me. But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life.
No you won't get the gospel from Genesis 1 but the point of the passage is God created life. In the Nicene Creed it goes from the incarnation to salvation in the next line:

Through him all things were made.
For us men and for our salvation. (Nicene Creed)​

God's work in creation and promise in the gospel are closely related. I'm talking about creation as doctrine and it's relation to the incarnation, resurrection and new birth. If God didn't create life in the first place what's that say about the promise of eternal life? That does not negate the simplicity of the gospel, it's based on it.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟250,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
No you won't get the gospel from Genesis 1 but the point of the passage is God created life. In the Nicene Creed it goes from the incarnation to salvation in the next line:

Through him all things were made.
For us men and for our salvation. (Nicene Creed)​

God's work in creation and promise in the gospel are closely related. I'm talking about creation as doctrine and it's relation to the incarnation, resurrection and new birth. If God didn't create life in the first place what's that say about the promise of eternal life? That does not negate the simplicity of the gospel, it's based on it.

Grace and peace,
Mark

I am not up on a lot of new church teaching are there people in church now saying God did not create life.
I have heard that pagan scientist are possibly saying aliens created life on earth but has that worked its way into churches. I know evolution has

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I am not up on a lot of new church teaching are there people in church now saying God did not create life.
I have heard that pagan scientist are possibly saying aliens created life on earth but has that worked its way into churches. I know evolution has
Actually, a lot of Christians believe everything evolved from a single cell organism from billions of years ago. Now certainly not all Christians believe that. I think you can make a pretty good case for Gen 1 being confirmed and essential to New Testament theism. Seldm have I seen the doctrinal issues related to creation addressed. That's why I started the thread. Intended to be a topical study really.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I make a case for not accepting any of pagan sciences statements/ideas.
Only Biblical facts/ information, even down to the current time keeping which our current system is not Biblical.
That's kind of one of the issues I don't think the Bible addresses. Geology, astronomy and cosmology isn't something that interested Biblical writters. I realize the ancient world was prone to mix the sciences with pagan mysticism vut that's easily sorted out. God did say he set the sun, moon and stars to mark times and seasons. My issue is the creation of life but I guess how calenders are calculated could be of passing interest.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟250,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
That's kind of one of the issues I don't think the Bible addresses. Geology, astronomy and cosmology isn't something that interested Biblical writters. I realize the ancient world was prone to mix the sciences with pagan mysticism vut that's easily sorted out. God did say he set the sun, moon and stars to mark times and seasons. My issue is the creation of life but I guess how calenders are calculated could be of passing interest.

Read "All past time " it is hard to locate, but part of it is in the book, Is the Bible from Heaven Is the earth a globe. actually in that book are 6 chapters that are really great concerning how events are marked by the sun, moon and stars.
Chapter 6 All past time
Chapter 7 The death of Abel
Chapter 8 The literal week
Chapter 9 March of the Children of Israel
Chapter 10 The seventy weeks
Chapter 11 Day of the Crucifixion
Chapter 12 "Vox Dei"
Time marks Gods creation from the start and the sun, moon and stars have accurately recorded this. to bad not many people realize this. everything God wants us to know at this point in time about His creation is in the Bible and nowhere else.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Read "All past time " it is hard to locate, but part of it is in the book, Is the Bible from Heaven Is the earth a globe. actually in that book are 6 chapters that are really great concerning how events are marked by the sun, moon and stars.
Chapter 6 All past time
Chapter 7 The death of Abel
Chapter 8 The literal week
Chapter 9 March of the Children of Israel
Chapter 10 The seventy weeks
Chapter 11 Day of the Crucifixion
Chapter 12 "Vox Dei"
Time marks Gods creation from the start and the sun, moon and stars have accurately recorded this. to bad not many people realize this. everything God wants us to know at this point in time about His creation is in the Bible and nowhere else.
That would be the lunar calendar, it served the ancients well. The solar calendar is more accurate and peobable not easy to translate into modern calendars. I don't see a big conflict here except that the calendars the ancient Hebrews used worked perfectly fine. I would be interested in some of the insights from your source material though, sounds interesting enough.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟250,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
All past time, if the link does not go directly to page 126 of 433 then you will need to scroll down till you get to page 126 All Past Time.

https://vaultedearth.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/is-the-bible-from-heaven-is-earth-a-globe.pdf
Well I checked it out, I'm not sure I followed the very complicated chronology. I did notice he put the crucifixion at 30 AD, solar date, the date I'm familiar with is 33 AD. The analogy of the cogs was quite interesting, I'll take another look at that some time when I get the chance. The core question of whether or not the earth is a globe leaves me cold since I've seen pictures of it from space, sure looks like a globe to me. I want to take another look at his discussion of Newton because I've read a couple of his biographies and while he was certainly eccentric, I don't get any indication the man was insane.

Again, I'm interested in the creation of life s a doctrinal issue. Thanks for sharing the PDF, it has some interesting things, but I'm not entirely sure I see the real point of the arguments in it.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0