Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
What do you make of these two citations:
1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith
In the beginning it pleased God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, for the manifestation of the glory of his eternal power, wisdom, and goodness, to create or make the world, and all things therein, whether visible or invisible, in the space of six days, and all very good.

Westminister Confession of Faith
It pleased God the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, for the manifestation of the glory of His eternal power, wisdom, and goodness, in the beginning, to create, or make of nothing, the world, and all things therein whether visible or invisible, in the space of six days; and all very good.
The phrases underlined bring up my question: does a Christian who attends a church that holds to either of these confessions have to be a Young Earth Creationist? Or, would you see that phrase as having a more "flexible" meaning?

kenrapoza

I Like Ice Cream
Aug 20, 2006
Massachusetts
✟11,878.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
My denomination (PCA) actually launched a Creation study committee a couple years ago to evaluate that exact question. They evaluated all the major Christian positions and highlighted the fact that all of them are represented in various degrees by our pastors and laity. The conclusion they came to was that the PCA should not impose one of the views as the "standard" and that all the orthodox ones are acceptable in our church. Essentially, this excludes theistic evolution as a viable option. They pulished a report, and their reasoning was that the Confession can be taken to represent any of the views and that the PCA shouldn't change its historic practice of allowing some freedom in this area. It was kind of a controversial decision.

Upvote 0