Mar 13, 2017
✟186,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I started going to this singles group...and I think there's' simply a time and place to do worship/Bible study. The leader of this singles group gave his testimony when he was downtrodden big time. The situation drove him out of his church's involvement and later worked at a min. wage job as a result. (His wife had an affair with the pastor, so you can see why he had to leave). He got very emotional, and most everyone was moved.

I found it to be uplifting that he was able to pick himself back up again and move on.

Now it's all and well when it's done in a place of worship. But this past weekend, he hosted a party at his house during a football game. We were mingling and watching the game, and I think during a commercial break or half-time...we started talking about plans to divide up the group into areas where people were suffering from recent crises...as he's come across newcomers to the group going through divorce, abuse, etc. Which is a nice idea.

Then he brings up the testimony he gave and quite a few people were saying how powerful it was....which it was, I agreed.

Someone who had missed that particular event said "Please tell it again, I wasn't there."

So he repeats his story...but...it's not over.

He "feels the urge" to ask everyone to get up, hold hands, and pray. Which again, is nice....I suppose.

Then he tries to get the musician of the group to sing a little worship song, putting HIM on the spot. He was able to pull it out of his memory. So some people join him in song. And the leader is also attempting to coax others to be a "sound board" to God, and to obey Him and perhaps give a testimony or hardship of their own.

I'm thinking, "Okay, this is getting ridiculous! But, gosh forbid I say anything as I'll be considered a blasphemer!"

This dude has a serious flare for the dramatic and I think this isn't the only time it's happened, but I think there's some trend of the modern Christian to feel delve a little too deeply into cathartic experiences.

I get a kick out of these people that said "God moved them" to do this and that, and I'm like "No, it was your decision to do this, not God's"

To be honest, I'm not sure if I want to go back if he's leading...because, I know him through other circles and he's a bit socially awkward based on his personality.

It's not over, he proceeds to come to me and another new comer and says, "I hope this wasn't too weird for you."

Okay, now that's a red flag there, because he KNEW it was weird to begin with.

I apologize for sounding insensitive, but I mean.....REALLY? I have heard quite a few accounts of this whole "Drop and give me prayer" mentality, where Christians just randomly decide to pray publicly out of the blue and then attempt to suck others in.

I came across this little gem ( Yeah, it's a crude website, but it does make sense). And turns out, this guy is spot on, as I found myself nodding my head in agreement.

There's also this site about "What we get wrong about giving testimonies"

Thoughts on this? There's just something that's just seems fake about all this. I hope they just don't handing out rattle snakes.

Last edited:

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I started going to this singles group...and I think there's' simply a time and place to do worship/Bible study. The leader of this singles group gave his testimony when he was downtrodden big time. The situation drove him out of his church's involvement and later worked at a min. wage job as a result. (His wife had an affair with the pastor, so you can see why he had to leave). He got very emotional, and most everyone was moved.

I found it to be uplifting that he was able to pick himself back up again and move on.

Now it's all and well when it's done in a place of worship. But this past weekend, he hosted a party at his house during a football game. We were mingling and watching the game, and I think during a commercial break or half-time...we started talking about plans to divide up the group into areas where people were suffering from recent crises...as he's come across newcomers to the group going through divorce, abuse, etc. Which is a nice idea.

Then he brings up the testimony he gave and quite a few people were saying how powerful it was....which it was, I agreed.

Someone who had missed that particular event said "Please tell it again, I wasn't there."

He "feels the urge" to ask everyone to get up, hold hands, and pray. Which again, is nice....I suppose.

Then he tries to get the musician of the group to sing a little worship song, putting HIM on the spot. He was able to pull it out of his memory. So some people join him in song. And the leader is also attempting to coax others to be a "sound board" to God, and to obey Him and perhaps give a testimony or hardship of their own.

I'm thinking, "Okay, this is getting ridiculous! But, gosh forbid I say anything as I'll be considered a blasphemer!"

This dude has a serious flare for the dramatic and I think this isn't the only time it's happened, but I think there's some trend of the modern Christian to feel delve a little too deeply into cathartic experiences.

I get a kick out of these people that said "God moved them" to do this and that, and I'm like "No, it was your decision to do this, not God's"

To be honest, I'm not sure if I want to go back if he's leading...because, I know him through other circles and he's a bit socially awkward based on his personality.

It's not over, he proceeds to come to me and another new comer and says, "I hope this wasn't too weird for you."

I apologize for sounding insensitive, but I mean.....REALLY? I have heard quite a few accounts of this whole "Drop and give me prayer" mentality, where Christians just randomly decide to pray publicly out of the blue and then attempt to suck others in.

I came across this little gem ( Yeah, it's a crude website, but it does make sense). And turns out, this guy is spot on, as I found myself nodding my head in agreement.

Thoughts on this? There's just something that's just seems fake about all this. I hope they just don't handing out rattle snakes.

You can love people and cut them a lot of slack,
and you can remain suspicious and on alert
for any and all charismatic leaders.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,720.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I guess you and I are both "Unorthodox" in our beliefs? lol You are not alone. I was waiting for the Kool-Aid to come out.

Yes, I couldn't stand such behavior as well. That's what I would probably do if I like to prank people but my prankster days are over!

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Yeah, this kind of approach to testimony and 'felt' prayer and all of that *jazz* can become something that goes a bit over the top. I've had my share of church experiences in which we were led by what turned out to be dysfunctional leaders, even if they were well-intended.

If you feel uncomfortable with the leadership of the church you're now at, then either ask them point blank 'why?' they do what they do, or find another church.

You're free in Christ to find another church where you feel there is a more amiable social (and spiritual) environment. You don't have to feel guilty for it. Just do it--if that is what you think you may need. :cool:

Peace
2PhiloVoid

P.S. Cool avatar, by the way, ThisIsMe

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ThisIsMe123

This And That
Mar 13, 2017
✟186,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, this kind of approach to testimony and 'felt' prayer and all of that *jazz* can become something that goes a bit over the top. I've had my share of church experiences in which we were led by what turned out to be dysfunctional leaders, even if they were well-intended.

If you feel uncomfortable with the leadership of the church you're now at, then either ask them point blank 'why?' they do what they do, or find another church.

You're free in Christ to find another church where you feel there is a more amiable social (and spiritual) environment. You don't have to feel guilty for it. Just do it--if that is what you think you may need. :cool:

Peace
2PhiloVoid

P.S. Cool avatar, by the way, ThisIsMe

Thanks on the avatar...I thought about changing it to Thanos...considering he's up and coming. lol

Actually, they just allow the space for them to fellowship and nothing more. The leaders are decent folk, so I guess they aren't doing much harm? But I'm sure misery loves company.

The reason I joined it it was because it's the ONLY singles group in this backwater area, most churches are just go to church and go home. I may have to find the ones in last night's circle that had also found it equally as disturbing and associate with them. lol

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks on the avatar...I thought about changing it to Thanos...considering he's up and coming. lol
That is funny. Thanos is and has been quite the character, indeed; but I'm waiting to see what they do with Adam Warlock. :D

Actually, they just allow the space for them to fellowship and nothing more. The leaders are decent folk, so I guess they aren't doing much harm? But I'm sure misery loves company.
Well, if you feel uncomfortable with their protocol of drafting people for prayer, I think you should inquire of them to find out why they feel that this is a good approach. If they 'rebuff' you for having dared to ask such a question, then you'll know you may have stepped on the toes of those who really just want to use Christian spirituality as a form of influence (or social power).

A case in point resembling this kind of thing is that a music minister I once knew used to use 'guilt tripping' upon the congregation while in the midst of leading everyone to 'sing out to the Lord.' He'd ask questions like, "Do you feel the Spirit?" and then follow it up with statements like, "Sing it like you mean it!" ............................the funny thing is, which actually is desperately not funny, is the fact that it turned out that he's a certified Narcissist, and not only did he help wreck the church we were in, he wrecked his marriage and relationships with his children.

Anyway, I'm not saying that this particular leader you're talking about is by any necessity a narcissist or is indeed using pressure tactics to exert his spirituality over others, but do keep that in mind that this could be a possibility. OR, it might turn out that he actually intends to be helpful but just happens to use social methods that make others generally uncomfortable.

The reason I joined it it was because it's the ONLY singles group in this backwater area, most churches are just go to church and go home. I may have to find the ones in last night's circle that had also found it equally as disturbing and associate with them. lol
Ok. That is a situation to put some further thought into, isn't it. Then, in this case, I would first ask others how they feel about it all before asking the leader 'why?' Just do so without being too overt so no one feels then need to pin the 'gossiper' stigma on your chest. ;)

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ThisIsMe123

This And That
Mar 13, 2017
✟186,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That is funny. Thanos is and has been quite the character, indeed; but I'm waiting to see what they do with Adam Warlock. :D

Well, if you feel uncomfortable with their protocol of drafting people for prayer, I think you should inquire of them to find out why they feel that this is a good approach. If they 'rebuff' you for having dared to ask such a question, then you'll know you may have stepped on the toes of those who really just want to use Christian spirituality as a form of influence (or social power).

A case in point resembling this kind of thing is that a music minister I once knew used to use 'guilt tripping' upon the congregation while in the midst of leading everyone to 'sing out to the Lord.' He'd ask questions like, "Do you feel the Spirit?" and then follow it up with statements like, "Sing it like you mean it!" ............................the funny thing is, which actually is desperately not funny, is the fact that it turned out that he's a certified Narcissist, and not only did he help wreck the church we were in, he wrecked his marriage and relationships with his children.

Anyway, I'm not saying that this particular leader you're talking about is by any necessity a narcissist or is indeed using pressure tactics to exert his spirituality over others, but do keep that in mind that this could be a possibility. OR, it might turn out that he actually intends to be helpful but just happens to use social methods that make others generally uncomfortable.

Ok. That is a situation to put some further thought into, isn't it. Then, in this case, I would first ask others how they feel about it all before asking the leader 'why?' Just do so without being too overt so no one feels then need to pin the 'gossiper' stigma on your chest. ;)

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

I have someone in mind actually. Her VISA ran out and she'll be heading back to South America for the long haul. Being how I grew up Catholic and...I am guessing she is the same since Catholicism is a major religion in their country...we usually can identify strange the strange charismatic behavior of those in the deep south.

So we may be able to relate.

I'lly something like 'Hey, have you noticed they try to get a little too personal with the new people?"

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have someone in mind actually. Her VISA ran out and she'll be heading back to South America for the long haul. Being how I grew up Catholic and...I am guessing she is the same since Catholicism is a major religion in their country...we usually can identify strange the strange charismatic behavior of those in the deep south.

So we may be able to relate.

I'lly something like 'Hey, have you noticed they try to get a little too personal with the new people?"

Ok. It sounds like talking to her might be a place to start, then. :cool:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums