Visit site
✟1,503,521.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
One of the things I'm reflecting on a lot, lately, is how little hope there really is in many of our churches. There's potential for growth, potential for deepened faith, potential for mature service... but discouragement and anxiety suck the energy right out of it.

So I've been pondering how we create cultures of hope in our local churches. Some of the reading I've been doing has pointed to the importance of acceptance; that it's only when people feel accepted, emotionally safe from excessive judgement, criticism, and control, that they feel free enough not just to hope but to share that hope with others. That's interesting and challenging to think about.

I wondered what other people might think, too. How do we foster a culture of hope where we are?

Haydee

Sep 29, 2018
QLD
✟14,801.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
How do we foster a culture of hope where we are?

The scripture that came to my mind when I thought about your question was John 8:1-11.
About the woman caught in the act of adultery.

Jesus didn't condemn the woman for the act of adultery, but He did remind her not to sin anymore.

From what I've observed and experienced, I feel like there needs to be less judgement on others which includes non believers. People are hurting (emotionally) and need a place to go where they feel like they are welcome and not condemned. It's Jesus' teaching after all. He promoted to love others. It was the foundation of His message. Faith, Hope and Love - but the greatest of these is Love.
1 John 12 - He is the light of the world, whoever follows Him will not have darkness, but light. Jesus is all the hope we need, and His hope is open to everyone.

Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I guess that the church has to preach more along these lines, "mercy triumphs over judgment" (James 2:13). Peace in Christ:).
Especially because the scripture says that those who show no mercy will be given no mercy.

Upvote 0

Llleopard

Jun 5, 2018
Hawkes Bay New Zealand
✟135,529.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What gives me hope is the hope of glory. Being in a church where there is strong leadership with a strong vision of the kingdom, and encouragement to everyone to be studying, working towards the kingdom and its rewards instead of being passive in the world creates an atmosphere of hope and purpose.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
One of the things I'm reflecting on a lot, lately, is how little hope there really is in many of our churches. There's potential for growth, potential for deepened faith, potential for mature service... but discouragement and anxiety suck the energy right out of it.

So I've been pondering how we create cultures of hope in our local churches. Some of the reading I've been doing has pointed to the importance of acceptance; that it's only when people feel accepted, emotionally safe from excessive judgement, criticism, and control, that they feel free enough not just to hope but to share that hope with others. That's interesting and challenging to think about.

I wondered what other people might think, too. How do we foster a culture of hope where we are?
This is a deep and widespread problem—the love of most growing cold. There is no quick fix. I would think along the lines of doing what God said to help people to trust Him, because what people need is the fruit of trusting God more and being more deeply connected to Jesus.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. (Galatians 5:22-23, 1984 NIV)

One thing that works over the long-term is for people to share their testimonies of their God encounters to the whole church.

Reactions: Llleopard
Upvote 0

JimBeta

Sep 26, 2018
Begijnendijk
✟16,893.00
Country
Belgium
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
This is a deep and widespread problem—the love of most growing cold. There is no quick fix. I would think along the lines of doing what God said to help people to trust Him, because what people need is the fruit of trusting God more and being more deeply connected to Jesus.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. (Galatians 5:22-23, 1984 NIV)

One thing that works over the long-term is for people to share their testimonies of their God encounters to the whole church.

It is written that the love of many will grow cold.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,402,282.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
IMHO too many Christians are carnal. Too many worldly and fleshly cares choking out the teachings of Lord Jesus.
It is written that the love of many will grow cold.
Yeeees! We can see it everywhere! People are telling others that they don't belong. That saps hope and fosters despair for believers and unbelievers alike. Acceptance through love is the only way to raise the morale, and it should start with believers.

Reactions: Llleopard
Upvote 0

Thess

Oct 31, 2018
Chelan
✟19,864.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

I know you will agree. The teachings are so clear, that we are to help one another, to build each other up. But wait a minute, building up those that are already "built", or those that are weak? Right, the confident members have been given clear instruction to help anyone that is weak. This is the beauty of who we are to be, to love one another just as we love ourselves! Therefore, there is none that are to be poor and weak. How easy it is for everyone to "chip in" so that food and clothing, or any other reasonable need is met. But, these examples have to be made effectual through our obedience. This is our obedience....to make sure that there are no weak brothers and sisters. And when the time comes, those same weak ones will be the strong ones, leading the way for another.

The best way to build a culture of hope is by doing what Paul did with Timothy in his final letter, 2nd Timothy. Paul put on display the most amazing example of expectant confidence. Paul changed my life and perspectives in what he [did not] say to Timothy over the potential harm that his fear may have caused the members. There is nothing worse than lost souls being at stake, but Paul is smooth and he no longer berates or scolds, but builds, builds, builds!

Timothy's insecurity was terrible, this is true, but Paul does not focus on behavior and neither should we. Behavior doesn't define us, rather, it's the evil that others have placed into our minds that define us. What have we been taught by parents, family and other close friends? Are we being handed right thinking? Can anyone around us say, "Look at me and be like me, for if you are, things will work out, things will be ok." No? I don't know of anyone like that either, but that's who the Apostle Paul was/is, for he asks us to model himself about 18 times. He truly was a holy man that lived righteously.

What is so difficult about just being nice to each other?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums