Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Romans 6 states that in Baptism we are united with the death and resurrection of Christ. 1 Peter 3 states that Baptism saves through the resurrection and authority of Jesus Christ. We know from other verses (Ephesians 2:8-9 for example) that participating in and benefitting from the death and resurrection of Christ and being saved through the resurrection of Christ is accomplished through God's gift of faith in Christ.

Therefore (and yes this is a logical step) we confess that faith in Christ is given in Baptism because the benefits of Baptism as outlined in Scripture can only be accomplished through faith in Christ, which is a gift from God.

Upvote 0

Leevo

Feb 18, 2015
Tennessee
✟28,954.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Romans 6 states that in Baptism we are united with the death and resurrection of Christ. 1 Peter 3 states that Baptism saves through the resurrection and authority of Jesus Christ. We know from other verses (Ephesians 2:8-9 for example) that participating in and benefitting from the death and resurrection of Christ and being saved through the resurrection of Christ is accomplished through God's gift of faith in Christ.

Therefore (and yes this is a logical step) we confess that faith in Christ is given in Baptism because the benefits of Baptism as outlined in Scripture can only be accomplished through faith in Christ, which is a gift from God.

Thanks man! I have to say your help has been invaluable to me when I have asked a question on here. Thank you! Might I ask for a few more scriptures to help me along?

Reactions: Tangible
Upvote 0

The Conductor

Χριστῷ συνεσταύρωμαι
Mar 27, 2013
Canada
Visit site
✟8,221.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Here's a couple helpful passages: Baptism is typified in the story of Noah, the story of Naaman, the crossing of the Red Sea, and the crossing of the Jordan. In addition, when Christ was baptized, the Holy Spirit descended on Him to show what happens at all baptisms, and where the Spirit is, there is faith.

Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
From http://www.lcms.org/faqs/doctrine

Lutherans believe that the Bible teaches that a person is saved by God’s grace alone through faith in Jesus Christ alone. The Bible tells us that such “faith comes by hearing” (Romans 10:17). Jesus Himself commands Baptism and tells us that Baptism is water used together with the Word of God (Matthew 28:19-20). Because of this, we believe that Baptism is one of the miraculous means of grace (another is God’s Word as it is written or spoken), through which God creates and/or strengthens the gift of faith in a person’s heart (see Acts 2:38; Acts 22:16; 1 Peter 3:21; Galatians 3:26-27; Romans 6:1-4; Colossians 2:11-12; 1 Corinthians 12:13). Terms the Bible uses to talk about the beginning of faith include “conversion” and “regeneration.” Although we do not claim to understand fully how this happens, we believe that when an infant is baptized God creates faith in the heart of that infant. We believe this because the Bible says that infants can believe (Matthew 18:6) and that new birth (regeneration) happens in Baptism (John 3:5-7; Titus 3:5-6). The infant’s faith cannot yet, of course, be verbally expressed or articulated by the child, yet it is real and present all the same (see e.g., Acts 2:38-39; Luke 1:15; 2 Timothy 3:15). The faith of the infant, like the faith of adults, also needs to be fed and nurtured by God’s Word (Matthew 28:18-20), or it will die.

Upvote 0

Leevo

Feb 18, 2015
Tennessee
✟28,954.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Let me see if I get this right, for adults, since faith comes from hearing, sense it is created when we hear the Word? For example, If someone has never heard the gospel, hears it, and has faith because of it, in a sense the faith was created in him via hearing the Word. Would I be right in assuming this?

Reactions: The Conductor
Upvote 0

The Conductor

Χριστῷ συνεσταύρωμαι
Mar 27, 2013
Canada
Visit site
✟8,221.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Let me see if I get this right, for adults, since faith comes from hearing, sense it is created when we hear the Word? For example, If someone has never heard the gospel, hears it, and has faith because of it, in a sense the faith was created in him via hearing the Word. Would I be right in assuming this?
That's true.

Upvote 0

Tangible

May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
That's right. God uses the spoken or written word to create faith in the individual sinner. The individual need not rationally comprehend the message for God's Word to be efficacious in granting faith in Christ, since it is the Gospel that is the power of God to save, not the ability of the recipient to comprehend and respond.

Reactions: KEPLER
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟817,023.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Here's a couple helpful passages: Baptism is typified in the story of Noah, the story of Naaman, the crossing of the Red Sea, and the crossing of the Jordan. In addition, when Christ was baptized, the Holy Spirit descended on Him to show what happens at all baptisms, and where the Spirit is, there is faith.

Your mention of these is reflected in Luther's Baptismal Prayer; often called "The Flood Prayer":

Almighty, Eternal God, Who, according to Thy righteous judgment, didst condemn the unbelieving world through the flood and, in Thy great mercy, didst preserve believing Noah and his family; and Who didst drown hardhearted Pharaoh with all his host in the Red Sea and didst lead Thy people Israel through the same on dry ground, thereby prefiguring this bath of Thy baptism; and Who, through the baptism of Thy dear Child, our Lord Jesus Christ, hast consecrated and set apart the Jordan and all water as a salutary flood and a rich and full washing away of sins: We pray through the same Thy groundless mercy, that Thou wilt graciously behold this [child] and bless him with true faith in spirit, that by means of this saving flood all that has been born in him from Adam and which he himself has added thereto may be drowned in him and engulfed, and that he may be sundered from the number of the unbelieving, preserved dry and secure in the Holy Ark of Christendom, serve Thy Name at all times fervent in spirit and joyful in hope, so that with all believers he may be made worthy to attain eternal life according to Thy promise; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KevinC1129

Simul justus et peccator
Jan 24, 2016
North Texas
✟490,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I hope no one minds if I jump in with a question. I currently attend a non denominational church, and am looking into Lutheranism; the views on baptism are sort of confusing to me.
So, in the Lutheran view, as an adult, faith would be created through the written or spoken word. Does that mean the person would not need to be baptized to be saved?

Upvote 0

Nova Scotian Boy

Grand Sasquatch
Jan 19, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
✟20,180.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
An adult would still be baptised, if they have not already been baptised. Paul belives and is baptized there are numerouse cases of baptism of adults. Baptism is objective means of the forgiveness of sins. If some one was made alive by the preached word then they may struggle to have assurance. The one who is baptized has assuarance that he is truly saved because of the work of Christ.

Reactions: KevinC1129
Upvote 0

Tangible

May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I hope no one minds if I jump in with a question. I currently attend a non denominational church, and am looking into Lutheranism; the views on baptism are sort of confusing to me.
So, in the Lutheran view, as an adult, faith would be created through the written or spoken word. Does that mean the person would not need to be baptized to be saved?
Lutherans do not typically use the language "need to be baptized to be saved," as this indicates a law view of Baptism. We do not think of Baptism as law but as gospel, that is, Baptism is not something man does out of obedience or requirement, but that Baptism is God's work, performed by the hands of the body of Christ on earth, to grant salvation and faith in Christ.

When an adult or older child comes to faith through hearing the gospel, they are typically instructed for a time in the faith and then baptized. Baptism still gives what scripture says it gives whether it is the means of granting initial faith in Christ or the means of strengthening faith in Christ that is already present. However, for someone to say that they believe in Christ and yet refuse God's gift of Baptism would indicate a concerning doctrinal misunderstanding and a need for pastoral care.

Reactions: KevinC1129
Upvote 0

KevinC1129

Simul justus et peccator
Jan 24, 2016
North Texas
✟490,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Lutherans do not typically use the language "need to be baptized to be saved," as this indicates a law view of Baptism. We do not think of Baptism as law but as gospel, that is, Baptism is not something man does out of obedience or requirement, but that Baptism is God's work, performed by the hands of the body of Christ on earth, to grant salvation and faith in Christ.

When an adult or older child comes to faith through hearing the gospel, they are typically instructed for a time in the faith and then baptized. Baptism still gives what scripture says it gives whether it is the means of granting initial faith in Christ or the means of strengthening faith in Christ that is already present. However, for someone to say that they believe in Christ and yet refuse God's gift of Baptism would indicate a concerning doctrinal misunderstanding and a need for pastoral care.

Thank you for that explanation; it makes perfect sense.
On a side note, I am attending a LCMS congregation now. The pastor pretty much explained it in the same way. One of the things he said was that it's not so much that a person "needs" to be baptized, but that they "get" to be baptized; baptism is a gift.

Reactions: Tangible
Upvote 0