Mallon

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2006
✟22,892.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
"Evolutionism" is often credited by Creationists as being the root of all things evil. Things such as racism, marxism, feminism, naziism, humanism, etc. And yet, while reading about the history of the creationist movement, I came across this cute little poem about the Negro race from George McCready Price, the founder of Flood Geology:

The poor little fellow who went to the south
Got lost in the forests dank;
His skin grew black, as the fierce sun beat
And scorched his hair with its tropic heat,
And his mind became blank.

Evidently, in his book The Phantom of Organic Evolution, Price taught that Negroes, Mongolians, and perhaps even apes were "degenerate or hybridized men", resulting from racial mixing, which according to Price, was against God's intentions.

Just an interesting point I thought I would share. Let it never be said again that "Evolutionism" is the root of the world's problems.

muaxiong

John 3:16
Jan 31, 2006
St. Paul, MN
✟272.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Mallon said:
"Evolutionism" is often credited by Creationists as being the root of all things evil.

Evidently, in his book The Phantom of Organic Evolution, Price taught that Negroes, Mongolians, and perhaps even apes were "degenerate or hybridized men", resulting from racial mixing, which according to Price, was against God's intentions.

And I thought it was the love of money - or rather greed that was the root of all evil? 1 Timothy 6:10.

And just for the record "The Phantom of Organic Evolution" was written in 1924 - around the same time that nebraska man became quite famous as a missing link in the evolution of man - and we know what became of nebraska man.

Upvote 0

Willtor

Not just any Willtor... The Mighty Willtor
Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
muaxiong said:
And I thought it was the love of money - or rather greed that was the root of all evil? 1 Timothy 6:10.

And just for the record "The Phantom of Organic Evolution" was written in 1924 - around the same time that nebraska man became quite famous as a missing link in the evolution of man - and we know what became of nebraska man.

We do? Did he go to the south? Did he get lost in the forest dank? Did his mind become blank? No? Then I have to ask, is it relevant to the question of the origins of racism in contemporary thought?

Upvote 0

Mallon

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2006
✟22,892.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
muaxiong said:
Me too! And yet we have to put up with crap like this:
http://www.icdc.com/~dnice/evolution.html
http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v20/i4/racism.asp
http://www.icr.org/index.php?module=articles&action=view&ID=55
And just for the record "The Phantom of Organic Evolution" was written in 1924
And Darwin's Origin of Species was written in 1859. I don't see your point...

Upvote 0

muaxiong

Jan 31, 2006
St. Paul, MN
✟272.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Willtor said:
We do? Did he go to the south? Did he get lost in the forest dank? Did his mind become blank? No? Then I have to ask, is it relevant to the question of the origins of racism in contemporary thought?

Nah, he simply evolved into an extinct pig!^_^ Sort of like the nonsense found in the book aforementioned (i.e. The Phantom...).

Upvote 0

muaxiong

Jan 31, 2006
St. Paul, MN
✟272.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Mallon said:
Me too! And yet we have to put up with crap like this:
http://www.icdc.com/~dnice/evolution.html
http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v20/i4/racism.asp
http://www.icr.org/index.php?module=articles&action=view&ID=55

And Darwin's Origin of Species was written in 1859. I don't see your point...

I hope we are not going to be reduced into discussion by the link method, but if there is anything of interest in those links why don't you bring them forth and we can discuss which pertains to "creacism" (whatever nonsense that may be).

Oh and Origin of Species bit, just how much of it is still accepted scientifically today - that was the point.

Upvote 0

Willtor

Not just any Willtor... The Mighty Willtor
Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
muaxiong said:
Nah, he simply evolved into an extinct pig!^_^ Sort of like the nonsense found in the book aforementioned (i.e. The Phantom...).

Okay, but you must see that this is not what the thread is about. . .

Upvote 0

Mallon

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2006
✟22,892.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
muaxiong said:
I hope we are not going to be reduced into discussion by the link method, but if there is anything of interest in those links why don't you bring them forth and we can discuss which pertains to "creacism" (whatever nonsense that may be).
The main theme of those links being that evolution is to blame for the ills of today's society, which, as I suggested above, isn't true. Even creationism has lead its leaders to say racist things.
Oh and Origin of Species bit, just how much of it is still accepted scientifically today - that was the point.
A great majority of it.

Upvote 0

muaxiong

Jan 31, 2006
St. Paul, MN
✟272.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Mallon said:
The main theme of those links being that evolution is to blame for the ills of today's society, which, as I suggested above, isn't true. Even creationism has lead its leaders to say racist things.

Now how much of creationism today leads to racism I wonder as oppose to the logical outworking of evolutionism?

A great majority of it.

Yeah, r-i-g-h-t. Chances are if it is scientific creationists already believe it - but a few examples of those "majority" would help.

Upvote 0

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Now how much of creationism today leads to racism I wonder as oppose to the logical outworking of evolutionism?

there seems to be several things that can logically lead to racism in the discussion.

the first is multiple point vs single point genesis. multiple point lends itself to a racism.

multiple point thinking stronger enters into theology with the Hametic verses and was historically used to justify Southern slavery.

likewise multiple regional hypothesis in TofE did exactly the same thing.

a second theme that leads the way into racist thinking is the higher/lower, better/worse, superior/inferior, great chain of being, ladder of evolution metaphor. This has been one of the great metaphors of human history, it certainly infected TofE until the mid 20thC when the idea began to get widespread usage that evolution was not direction, was not purposeful, was not a great plot to produce me and those like me.

The TofE has divorced itself from such thinking but theology has not, nor really can it, as it is rather clear that mankind is a very special creation of God, that the elect are chosen and are special to God.

a third line of thinking that has consistently lead to racist thinking is that the races are something that can be defined scientifically or somehow recognized and clearly defined by people. This too is denied by modern genetics, which can not and does not define race as a subspecies which is what the early evolutionists thought was a simple matter. Yet religion is still a common sense matter which defines race in terms of color.

So religion finds itself much easier to be lead astray by racists on all 3 counts.

reminds me of a quote attributed to M.Twain
figures don't lie, but liars can figure.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Proselyte

Apr 13, 2006
The OC
✟15,810.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let's just be clear that opinions here are generalizations about those who believe in Creation. I do, and I don't harbor these views that many of you posted here. I simply dropped my support of Evolution for Creation, but it hasn't turned me into some raving fanatic that some would have you believe.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.