Craig Truglia . . .

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟73,913.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I find it strange we would speak about "binding upon the conscience" as if we can disregard saints or conciliar documents from the Church. Can we ignore the Palamite councils, for example? How about St Gregory Palamas? If he wrote a catechism, would it be "optional?" I just don't ever see any of the saints speak of our Church's own saints and documents in this sense. It seems to me as dangerously Protestant, where outside of the Scriptures and ecumenical councils, we get to pick and choose.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,456,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes, there are numerous catechisms, but as I understand it, none of them are actually official, that is, they do not have the property of being binding upon my conscience as do the Seven Ecumenical Councils. Or am I wrong here?

Father Matt?

they are all official if what they say is Orthodox or can be interpreted in an Orthodox manner.

that includes what came out of the pre-Schism West or something that had a Western influence on its articulation.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,456,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hmmm, that doesn't sound right. There are numerous catechisms. The one quoted above is Saint Filaret's, approved by the Russian synod some time during the 1800s--translated into English of course.

The Synod of Jassy (approved by the whole Church/all the synods) subscribed to the Catechism of St Peter Mogila: The orthodox confession of the Catholic and Apostolic Eastern Church : Mogila, Peter, Metropolitan of Kiev, 1596-1646 : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

St Sebastian Dabovic wrote a catechism in the USA: The Holy Orthodox Church

St Nicolai of Zica wrote a catechism: The Faith of the Saints: A Catechism by Saint Bishop Nikolai Velimirovic

New Martyr Daneil Sysoev wrote a catechism: The Law of God (Sysoev)

The top two are open source. I think there are more from saints, but I forget at the moment. It is interesting though that due to having conciliar approval for Mogila's catechism, the Orthodox in effect have a more authoritative catechism than the Roman Catholics, who have made alterations in theirs over the centuries.

the Didache is considered a catechism, as is Wisdom of Sirach, the Catechetical Lectures of St Cyril of Jerusalem, the Fount of Wisdom by St John of Damascus, Indication of the Way of the Kingdom of Heaven by St Innocent of Moscow, etc.

Upvote 0

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟73,913.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
the Didache is considered a catechism, as is Wisdom of Sirach, the Catechetical Lectures of St Cyril of Jerusalem, the Fount of Wisdom by St John of Damascus, Indication of the Way of the Kingdom of Heaven by St Innocent of Moscow, etc.
I think only the latter of the list were really intended to be *read* as catechisms. TBH I am not sure "Way of the Kingdom" really reads that way but the last I read it was 5 years ago.

In any event, the Orthodox have several catechisms, two with synodical approvals (one of which included Pan-Orthodox synodical approval *twice*). I find it ironic that in the original post, there was an issue with something penned by St Filaret. Shows people should do their research before pointing fingers.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,456,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think only the latter of the list were really intended to be *read* as catechisms. TBH I am not sure "Way of the Kingdom" really reads that way but the last I read it was 5 years ago.

In any event, the Orthodox have several catechisms, two with synodical approvals (one of which included Pan-Orthodox synodical approval *twice*). I find it ironic that in the original post, there was an issue with something penned by St Filaret. Shows people should do their research before pointing fingers.

I agree except for the catechetical lectures. pretty clear together those are intended as a catechism. Sirach was one for Old Covenant Jews, and the earliest Christians just picked up on it.

either way

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums