Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
The dead have no thoughts. Their families, however, might not be thinking any more objectively than you are due in part to the consistent message of doom being foisted upon the public by government and media propagandists and of course the fact they have been personally affected by the disease. Using the emotions of people personally affected by something to base public policy decisions on is not the wisest approach.

It is known that a certain population is much more susceptible to dying from Covid. Instead of dealing with the disease using that knowledge, too many governments have decided to act as if everyone is equally in danger and cry the sky is falling thereby claiming that the dictatorial power that those government are wielding is somehow justifiable when reasonable measures that did not require government overreach would be all that was needed. There are 340 million or so Americans and a large number of non Americans residing in the US. The unfortunate 200,000 that have so far died of Covid or other causes complicated by Covid represents .00059% of the total population. The inordinate amount of fear mongering of those in government and the media is not proportionate to that percentage of people dying from this disease. For some reason those in media and in the government seem to desire the population be in panic over the disease rather than cautiously mindful of the disease and well informed as to how to deal with the situation.
Well, perhaps you are correct, and the overall response was "disproportionate". After all, what's a few hundred thousand in a population of millions? Neglecatable.
The measures that other countries in their governmental overreach took to somehow significantly reduce the number of deaths compared to their population, while keeping panic from spreading as well as preventing societal collapse... clearly unneccessary. Somehow the hotch-potch way the USA dealt with this situation is demonstrably better. After all, they only have about one fourth of world-wide deaths from Corona.

So, yes, well... perhaps you are right. In hindsight, who knows what will happen... what would have happened.

I have just one thing I ask from you and your comrades...

... never, never never ever again call yourself "pro-life"!

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You're basically saying that 200,000 dead people doesn't matter, because far more people won't die. Considering a large proportion of those deaths were avoidable, that's a pretty callous attitude to take.

As for the supposed fear mongering, do you even understand what happens if this virus is allowed to freely spread? Did you actually watch what happened in Italy and Spain where hospitals were completely over-run, bodies piling up, and doctors and nurses started dying in large numbers too, reducing the ability of the medical professionals even further?

We've SEEN what happens if you don't stop it spreading. Stop with the myth that this isn't serious, and listen to the doctors who keep telling you that its incredibly dangerous.

You are misrepresenting both me and my words by telling me what I am "basically saying" please tell me what you want to say and stop misrepresenting me by telling me what I am saying. Nothing you have posted above in the least bit changes my position. If you wish to convince me that there is a good reason for the fear mongering you will havew to come up with a better argument based upon factual information rather than speculation on what might happen if people were not made to be so fearful.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
....can you cite one country that implemented "reasonable measures" and has a lower per capita death rate than the US?

I don't think any country has actually tried.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,422,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We've all been exposed well most of us anyway so let's see how it all plays out. Those that are afraid can stay home and the rest of us will take care of business. If those of us that don't want to hide from the virus all die off then what's the problem? You will have an all united society with no obstacles in your way.

...those that are vulnerable do not live in isolation. They depend on others who while "taking care of business" can become an unintentional carrier.

Case in point: A wedding in Maine led to the death of seven people...none of whom attended the wedding:

Only about 65 close family members and friends were on the guest list for a bride and groom’s rustic wedding celebration in a small Maine town in early August.

But the nuptials began an outbreak now traced to more than 175 reported novel coronavirus infections and also to the deaths of seven people, the Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention said Tuesday.

The cluster of coronavirus infections that originated from the Big Moose Inn outside Millinocket on Aug. 7 continues to grow in Maine, state health officials said, after guests flouted social distancing and mask guidelines. Now people who have no association with the party have died, including six residents of the Maplecrest Rehabilitation and Living Center in Madison, Maine CDC Director Nirav Shah said in a news briefing Tuesday.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/09/15/maine-wedding-covid/

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, perhaps you are correct, and the overall response was "disproportionate". After all, what's a few hundred thousand in a population of millions? Neglecatable.
The measures that other countries in their governmental overreach took to somehow significantly reduce the number of deaths compared to their population, while keeping panic from spreading as well as preventing societal collapse... clearly unneccessary. Somehow the hotch-potch way the USA dealt with this situation is demonstrably better. After all, they only have about one fourth of world-wide deaths from Corona.

So, yes, well... perhaps you are right. In hindsight, who knows what will happen... what would have happened.

I have just one thing I ask from you and your comrades...

... never, never never ever again call yourself "pro-life"!

Your logical progression then is goes like this . Since I am of the opinion it is inappropriate to sow fear in the populace based upon a disease that is not fatal to the vast majority of people that contract it , I am not only anti life but also just a cog in a group of comrades? I surely hope you a do not call yourself pro choice then if being anti life means not wanting people to be propagandized to make them panic over a disease. What would being anti choice consist of?

Last edited:
Reactions: LostMarbels
Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Eventually the fear will be seen as ridiculous and the herd will stop acting as if this is the plague and society will return to a semblance of normal life.

You're thinking we'll look back on the deaths of almost a million people (and counting) as something we shouldn't have got all bothered about?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Donald Trump promoting herd mentality:doh:

“It would go away without the vaccine George,” he said speaking to ABC journalist George Stephanopoulos. “With time it goes away. And you’ll develop like a herd mentality. It’s going to be herd developed, and that’s going to happen. That will all happen.”

I think he meant herd immunity, but he repeated herd mentality more than once
Trump Says With ‘A Herd Mentality’ Covid-19 Coronavirus Will Go Away

Some stuff is happening - have I won the election yet? - better say something, uh, 'it'll just disappear', wow I am such a genius, yeah that's it everything will just go away. Oh look, I'm on TV!

• Useful
Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟373,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Yes, that too. But as Trump said: "It will go away without the vaccine."
Well, that's not completely correct... it will subside. It will not go away. Just like the Black Death didn't.

And that people will die for the soothing of Trump's mind... who cares, right? All that matters is that it he isn't to blame. Right? Right??

Very true. Most all viruses have a natural reservoir. One or more species of animal hosts who harbor the virus without becoming sick themselves. You might think of it as a hideout where a virus lays low after a crime spree. Ebola's reservoir appears to be bats. Which is also thought to to be the reservoir for SARS-CoV-2. The primary reservoir for influenza A are wild birds, especially waterfowl. But domestic poultry and pigs, horses, dogs, cats, and some other mammals can be secondary reservoirs. Birds are also the likely reservoir for West Nile. (Which then passi it on to mosquitoes.) As long as there's a reservoir, a virus won't go away. The only pathogenic virus I can think of that MAY have disappeared is smallpox. That's due to vaccination. And because humans are the only known reservoir. When no one is colonized with smallpox anymore, then the virus has gone away.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
A cull of the old and the weak so the fit can thrive seems to be an acceptable Christian response to our situation....
We've come a long way from the warm Christianity of old movies. The cute vicar who visits the shut-in.

This new icy Christianity of upside down Bibles brandished to project power might be what the times calls for.

• Useful
Reactions: Skewpoint
Upvote 0

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
...those that are vulnerable do not live in isolation. They depend on others who while "taking care of business" can become an unintentional carrier.

Case in point: A wedding in Maine led to the death of seven people...none of whom attended the wedding:

Only about 65 close family members and friends were on the guest list for a bride and groom’s rustic wedding celebration in a small Maine town in early August.

But the nuptials began an outbreak now traced to more than 175 reported novel coronavirus infections and also to the deaths of seven people, the Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention said Tuesday.

The cluster of coronavirus infections that originated from the Big Moose Inn outside Millinocket on Aug. 7 continues to grow in Maine, state health officials said, after guests flouted social distancing and mask guidelines. Now people who have no association with the party have died, including six residents of the Maplecrest Rehabilitation and Living Center in Madison, Maine CDC Director Nirav Shah said in a news briefing Tuesday.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/09/15/maine-wedding-covid/

I can understand that. So why let others put their lives in danger so that you can survive. Are they expendable or worth less? Does the grocery store worker deserve to take risks while the rest of us hide? If it is indeed that dangerous should we not all take a turn and rotate through these jobs instead of letting those few support us?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Your logical progression then is goes liek this . Since I am of the opinion it is inappropriate to sow fear in the populace based upon a disease that is not fatal to the vast majority of people that contract it and I am not only anti life but also just a cog in a group of comrades? I surely hope you a do not call yourself pro choice then if being anti life means not wanting people to be propagandized to make them panic over a disease. What would being anti choice consist of?
You might have noticed that the person which this thread is about did equate "not spreading panic" with "ignoring the problem".

"It will go away. Like a miracle, it will disappear. It's a hoax. Soon, there will be zero cases."

As I said - and I am sincere here - maybe you are right and the measures were/are "disproportionate".

But when you are willing to accept the dying of thousands of people because "it's only a small part of the population"... than you are not "pro-life".

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,422,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I can understand that. So why let others put their lives in danger so that you can survive. Are they expendable or worth less? Does the grocery store worker deserve to take risks while the rest of us hide? If it is indeed that dangerous should we not all take a turn and rotate through these jobs instead of letting those few support us?

The rest of us do not need to "hide" -- we only need to take appropriate steps to reduce the risk of transmission - i.e. wearing a mask, respecting social distancing guidelines etc.

The people who attended that wedding did not respect the prevention guidelines and ultimately killed others.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Arc F1

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The rest of us do not need to "hide" -- we only need to take appropriate steps to reduce the risk of transmission - i.e. wearing a mask, respecting social distancing guidelines etc.

The people who attended that wedding did not respect the prevention guidelines and ultimately killed others.

OK.

Upvote 0

Arc F1

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You might have noticed that the person which this thread is about did equate "not spreading panic" with "ignoring the problem".

"It will go away. Like a miracle, it will disappear. It's a hoax. Soon, there will be zero cases."

As I said - and I am sincere here - maybe you are right and the measures were/are "disproportionate".

But when you are willing to accept the dying of thousands of people because "it's only a small part of the population"... than you are not "pro-life".

That's not true. By your definition pro life would have to advocate for shutting down all jobs, transportation, medical treatments etc. All those things cause people to die and yes it's acceptable. We have to take risks just to survive.

Upvote 0

Arc F1

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A cull of the old and the weak so the fit can thrive seems to be an acceptable Christian response to our situation. Thats what I'm getting from the discussion here.

I'm old and weak. I survived it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.