Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Fortunately I'm an atheist, so I would feel morally compromised if I knowing placed others at risk without a good reason.

OB

That is a silly thing to say. Being an atheist could not cause you to feel morally compromised. Your feeling of moral compromise comes from your subjective personal opinion on what is or is not morally upright not your atheism.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
That is a silly thing to say. Being an atheist could not cause you to feel morally compromised. Your feeling of moral compromise comes from your subjective personal opinion on what is or is not morally upright not your atheism.
It's not silly. Many atheists have a moral commitment to treating others right. While you'd think Christians would also, in practice it's not so clear.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟250,978.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
sodafox said:
The heart of my issue is the idea that the government, or anyone, should have a say what I put into my body. I say, if we're going to mandate this vaccine, let's not stop there. Go all in. Mandate what we eat, drink, smoke, inject or otherwise injest.
First of all, who is mandating the vaccine? No one will be legally compelled to be vaccinated. I realize you may need the vaccine to go to college. And presumably you think that's unfair. But I do not see how it is - a university has the right to protect its student from health threats. And, if you refuse the vaccine, you are a health threat.

This is not like restricting admission on the basis of race or gender - unvaccinated people pose a material threat to others.

As far as things like mandating what food we eat, your choice to eat Big Macs every day does not make other people sick - you are not a threat to the larger society as you are as a vaccine resistor.

Notice how you have framed this issue - as about "your rights". Surely you cannot deny that this is not all about your rights! Does not the broader society have rights as well?

Upvote 0

Sodafox

Jun 17, 2021
Denver
✟18,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
First of all, who is mandating the vaccine? No one will be legally compelled to be vaccinated. I realize you may need the vaccine to go to college. And presumably you think that's unfair. But I do not see how it is - a university has the right to protect its student from health threats. And, if you refuse the vaccine, you are a health threat.

This is not like restricting admission on the basis of race or gender - unvaccinated people pose a material threat to others.

As far as things like mandating what food we eat, your choice to eat Big Macs every day does not make other people sick - you are not a threat to the larger society as you are as a vaccine resistor.

Notice how you have framed this issue - as about "your rights". Surely you cannot deny that this is not all about your rights! Does not the broader society have rights as well?

I see. I misunderstood you. When I read this stuff it always seems like the individual saying it is on the cusp of saying they want sweeping mandates across the board - ex: all schools and businesses must mandate vaccines for their employees and/or clientele.

I said before I won't go to school for now until this all blows over. Also, there are schools that don't mandate vaccines just not in my immediate area. I have the option to take courses online. Similar with employement - I don't have to work somewhere that requires vaccines. But, if all businesses near me require them, I should have the right to start my own business and not require them.

But you are willing to subject your neighbour to covid?
If you recall my post from earlier with all the numbers, I think that answer should be an obvious yes. And I'm not worried at all about them possibly subjecting me to Covid, either.

Since I'm sure it'll come up, I looked up the % of people who experience long term effects. According to this One in ten have long-term effects 8 months following mild COVID-19 it's an additional 1%.

I fundamentally disagree with 98% of people being mandated to do something (again, in the case the government decides to apply the rule widespread) to protect 2% of people. And, again, the number is only made smaller when you ignore the people who made bad life decisions with their health that caused them to have such a severe reaction in the first place.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,804.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Whose evidence? And by what standard should I accept it? Bias enters at the moment the phenomenon is observed. The observation itself suffers from perception bias and then the phenomenon is interpreted into fact. A fact is a supposedly falsifiable statement that may either be true or false. Evidence is a collection of facts said to support an end. The choice of evidence is based on value judgements. Should I accept evidence for public health decisions if handed to me by, say, the Third Reich?

If you're just going to ignore the scientific evidence and obfuscate about it, I have no interest in debating that. I see others have had a go overnight (my time) and I don't feel inclined to bang my head against that brick wall any further.

Attached is working paper, take note of the citations which lead to greater detail.

That looks interesting, thank you. At 38 pages it's a bit much to digest over breakfast, but I shall eventually read with interest.

But we are now in a world of fanatical coercion for this vaccine, which is reason enough to refuse the shot. After all, why should I be a party to the system of coercion.

This seems like strange logic to me. We each have a choice to be vaccinated or not. We each should weigh up the reasons - scientific and ethical - for doing so or not and make our own choice. It would be silly and childish to refuse to do something good just because others are urging you to do so!

What has been severed by the entire pandemic response is what is highest and most critical of all.
First: The banning of participation in the divine life, especially in the banning of the public mass, which is the ban of the worship of God itself. For a Catholic cannot worship God outside the temple of God or without ordained priests. They are reduced to only being able to offer God veneration and are specifically cut off from special sources of grace, specifically the sacraments. This is especially true of the denial of baptism and last rites.

While I do agree with you that there are issues with the way lockdowns impacted on religious observance (the refusal of last rites was particularly problematic), this is not an argument against vaccination.

Second: Relationships are severed by lockdowns. Telecommunications can never be a substitute for in person contact and in person contact is a fundamental human right which continues to be denied.

Again, this is not an argument against vaccination. I asked you what you felt was being severed by vaccination. Conflating vaccination with other public health measures is confusing the issues.

However, all the vaccines made use of fetal tissue either in development or production and that is the grave sin of the desecration of corpses, so perhaps what is severed by the vaccine is human decency.

I am not sure that it is true that all vaccines used foetal tissue in their development, however, even for the ones which did, I saw a very well-written piece months ago (I think Michie posted it over in OBOB, but I might be mistaken) outlining the situations in which use of such a vaccine would still be an ethical choice, within a specifically Catholic moral framework. It's not an absolute argument against use of a vaccine to note that the development of the vaccine may have been less than ideal.

What I do have a problem with is that your suggestion to them that they might be committing a sin by choosing not to take one. I'd say that'd be out of line as it would be seeking to put guilt on the conscience.

Well, as I said, it's not something I've had to say in real life, as all my congregation seem to see the good of vaccines. But that said, if the situation arose, I have no problem saying that in some circumstances vaccine refusal could be sinful, and that one would need to carefully examine one's reasons for refusing.

Sorry that doesn't make sense. So if you doubt the medical advice but you should just throw caution to the wind and just do what they say anyway?

No. Doubt is not a sin. But when we're talking about potential loss of life, doubt cannot be the end of the process. It needs to be worked through.

The heart of my issue is the idea that the government, or anyone, should have a say what I put into my body. I say, if we're going to mandate this vaccine, let's not stop there. Go all in. Mandate what we eat, drink, smoke, inject or otherwise injest.

Nobody here is arguing for forced vaccinations. It is possible to argue that something is good and right, without thinking that others should be forced into it.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,410.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced

The comment was ironic based on the usual (Christian) stereotype of atheists lacking moral convictions.

Atheism itself is obviously not a moral framework.

OB

Upvote 0

Fr. Appletree

Priest of The Society of St. Pius V
Jun 24, 2021
Williamsburg
✟11,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
If you're just going to ignore the scientific evidence and obfuscate about it, I have no interest in debating that. I see others have had a go overnight (my time) and I don't feel inclined to bang my head against that brick wall any further.
Perhaps you should take some classes in the philosophy of science. Read some Kuhn or Sextus Empiricus. Science is a nested structure. Science cannot justify the scientific method. It therefore is,, taken to be, dogmatic religious presuppostion. You speak of scientific evidence and throw out any consideration for the nature of that (science) which you speak about. That which clarifies or seeks clarification is not obfuscation.

Same as what another (now blocked by me) said of basic ethical considerations, 'it's just word salad.'

All of this an example of what Nietzsche said, "Even in the universities, even among the real scholars of philosophy, logic as a theory, as a practice, as a craft, is beginning to die out. One need only read German books: there is no longer the remotest recollection that thinking requires a technique, a teaching curriculum, a will to mastery..."

Pulchrum est paucorum hominum.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,804.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps you should take some classes in the philosophy of science.

I have a BSc with majors in immunology and genetics, and an MDiv which included studies in the philosophy of science as well as moral philosophy. Thank you for the advice, but I feel I have come adequately equipped to this forum discussion.

Pulchrum est paucorum hominum.

As, apparently, is irony. ^_^

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟250,978.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Perhaps you should take some classes in the philosophy of science. Read some Kuhn or Sextus Empiricus. Science is a nested structure. Science cannot justify the scientific method. It therefore is,, taken to be, dogmatic religious presuppostion.
What utter nonsense.

Whether you have a legitimate philosophical point to make, or whether you are just trying to distract with obscure terminology, the simple fact is this:

Science works.

Airplanes stay in the air; comets reappear in the sky exactly when they are supposed to. And, yes, medical technology, including vaccines, work.

You can dance around and play at instructing us in philosophy until the cows come home. The virus does not care. And the mRNA vaccine coursing through my bloodstream does not care - the former is trying to kill me, the latter is offering me a very high level of protection.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Taodeching

Oct 29, 2020
Southwest
✟60,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Fortunately I'm an atheist, so I would feel morally compromised if I knowing placed others at risk without a good reason.

OB
It is quite interesting in this whole issue of vaccinations that atheist act like better Christians than Christians. Christians are suppose to love others as they love themselves yet we don't see that in he case of Covid. In the case of the Covid vaccine issue for Christians now it is all about me not about others and the attitude is who cares about others. We Christians have failed in the est, we fail to show compassion and concern for others.

I don't care if others hate me here anymore. I am a Conservative and I believe in helping others by getting a vaccine that will help. I am ashamed of other Christians and the extremely bad testimony they are giving by being selfish.

• Agree
Reactions: expos4ever
Upvote 0

Taodeching

Oct 29, 2020
Southwest
✟60,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not so with covid - tens of thousands need care all at once.

This makes me wonder why people don't care at all. This Covid virus fills up hospitals at a tremendous rate, so much so that they may not be able to take other types of patients. Yet many don't think about how it taxes the system all at once and while the vaccine may not be a complete cure it will keep the Hospitals from getting over taxed.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,410.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
This might be an appropriate point for a reminder of the real world consequences of Covid.

Across the world known deaths, caused by Covid, now stand at around 3,900,000.

In the US the current total of Covid deaths is almost 620,000.

OB

• Informative
Reactions: Taodeching
Upvote 0

Taodeching

Oct 29, 2020
Southwest
✟60,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
2 - the 600,000 is the death count so far, and with many Americans vaccinated. God knows how many would have died if every American was vaccine hesitant.

3 - Variants: people who refuse to be vaccinated are contributing to the risk that variants will arise that could sidestep the vaccine. Many could die.

Maybe that is what is suppose to happen (yes it seems like I am giving up and to a certain sense I am of western Christianity which is very selfish in many ways)

certain forms of modern Christianity seem to about people being able to do whatever they want.

Many atheists have a moral commitment to treating others right. While you'd think Christians would also, in practice it's not so clear.

I do think the some evangelicalism and greater Protestantism in the west is all about being selfish. If we step back and think about western Christianity has "name and claim it" and many TV Preachers are about what I can do for me, not what we can do for others. So why wouldn't we have people who were anti vaxxers because they all been taught the wrong message which is how to be selfish.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,576.00
Faith
Non-Denom
This is not very convincing. It seems like you are trying to evade moral culpability for getting vaccinated by questioning the credibility of the guidance from medical experts. That seems reasonable on the surface.

And this questioning of who you call medical experts may not be done out of malice or an intent to be hard headed.

Here is the problem: I could apply your same thinking and suggest that I am not obliged to refrain from driving while dead drunk on the grounds that I question the mainstream medical opinion that alcohol impairs the ability to safely operate a car.

But your analogy is beyond extreme. Who really questions that I mean REALLY?

Upvote 0

Sodafox

Jun 17, 2021
Denver
✟18,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
This might be an appropriate point for a reminder of the real world consequences of Covid.

Across the world known deaths, caused by Covid, now stand at around 3,900,000.

In the US the current total of Covid deaths is almost 620,000.

OB
Wow, thanks for posting this. Obviously the 3.9mil is an estimate but am I getting my math right here?

Is 1% of 7bil 70mil? It's getting late so I'm not trusting my math. Let's be generous then and say 1% of 7bil is 7mil.

So you're telling me that the global death rate from covid is about .5%? And we're all supposed to take a vaccine for those numbers?

If my math is correct, then big yikes, this is more of a nothing burger than I originally thought. That said, I'm sure some countries don't have the capacity to keep accurate counts but still.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's not silly. Many atheists have a moral commitment to treating others right. While you'd think Christians would also, in practice it's not so clear.

Yes many atheists, I would suggest most atheists, have moral commitments that they take seriously. It is still silly to contend that their moral commitment is a result of their atheism. Their moral commitment is a personal decision they arrive at that is completely unrelated to the fact they do not believe in a deity. Lack of a religious belief does not compel one to construct a code of morality. Neither does it impede one from doing so. After all, every atheist I have come into contact with both in person and on this forum has made the clear point that the sole attribute of atheism is a lack of belief in a deity and there is nothing about atheism, other than that, that is universal among atheists.

• Agree
Reactions: Occams Barber
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The comment was ironic based on the usual (Christian) stereotype of atheists lacking moral convictions.

Atheism itself is obviously not a moral framework.

OB

So you were not being silly but engaging in subtle irony. I missed it . I will try to be more discerning in future.

Upvote 0