✟18,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
-Sigh-

I want to finish my bachelor's degree now that I've got a consistent schedule with my baby but all the nearby colleges in my city are requiring an experimental vaccine to attend class on campus (or mandatory mask, daily check in, and weekly testing).

I could probably get away with some online courses for a few semesters but I don't know whether this will blow over in a few years or not.

Anyone else going through this?

Fr. Appletree

Priest of The Society of St. Pius V
Jun 24, 2021
Williamsburg
✟11,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I would say it is not right for them to be so coercive about it. With pending lawsuits against universities around the country it is likely the courts will forcably remove such requirements, so I think it will blow over.

Could you look into some exemptions? Or perhaps seek legal counsel?

Upvote 0

Fr. Appletree

Jun 24, 2021
Williamsburg
✟11,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
My college isn't requiring vaccines yet but they might and I hope they do, it is about the only way to get rid of this thing completely

It will never be got rid of completely. The cat is out of the bag. Why do you support such coercion for a utopian pipe dream?

Upvote 0

Taodeching

Oct 29, 2020
Southwest
✟60,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It will never be got rid of completely. The cat is out of the bag. Why do you support such coercion for a utopian pipe dream?

It's not coercion, kids have to have vaccines to go school and this is no different. I wish people would stop being so dumb about this whole thing. People who won't get it and can are the problem

Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟121,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
It's not coercion, kids have to have vaccines to go school and this is no different. I wish people would stop being so dumb about this whole thing. People who won't get it and can are the problem

Oh my Gosh ....Joe .............Mr. President is that you?

Upvote 0

Fr. Appletree

Jun 24, 2021
Williamsburg
✟11,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate

But if you enacted the most totalitarianism system to eradicate the virus by social control, you would fail. And cause great suffering on such a wide scale. And you are very carefree in saying so, even as you seem to move the goalposts.

Reactions: royal priest
Upvote 0

Taodeching

Oct 29, 2020
Southwest
✟60,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh my Gosh ....Joe .............Mr. President is that you?

I am not President Trump, who should be President again, nor am I the thief in residence of the WH who loves baby murder. Just because some is smart enough to support vaccines does not make the liberal. Just because some are not smart enough doesn't mean they are conservatives. Some are smart others are not

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Sodafox

Jun 17, 2021
Denver
✟18,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I am not President Trump, who should be President again, nor am I the thief in residence of the WH who loves baby murder. Just because some is smart enough to support vaccines does not make the liberal. Just because some are not smart enough doesn't mean they are conservatives. Some are smart others are not

I don't think taking an experimental drug is really smart when the thing it protects against has a 99% survival rate. At best, this vaccine has been around since the early 2000s, which, if fertility is on the line (or cancer) would take several decades to realize.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,740.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
-Sigh-

I want to finish my bachelor's degree now that I've got a consistent schedule with my baby but all the nearby colleges in my city are requiring an experimental vaccine to attend class on campus (or mandatory mask, daily check in, and weekly testing).

I could probably get away with some online courses for a few semesters but I don't know whether this will blow over in a few years or not.

Can I seriously suggest you rethink this. Characterising a Covid vaccine as 'experimental' ignores the extensive testing vaccines have gone through. It also ignores the monitoring going on around the world as millions receive the vaccines. Some side effects have been found but they are statistically insignificant when compared with the risks associated with Covid.

As an unvaccinated person you are a breeding ground for the virus. While you may not get ill you risk being a carrier for the disease and infecting others.

As an unvaccinated person you are also a Petri dish for the production of mutated versions of the virus which may be significantly more dangerous than the strains we are presently aware of. This is already happening with new strains being detected. The risk includes strains which are more infective, have more severe symptoms or versions of the virus which may infect younger people - including your own child.

I understand your hesitation but you need to seriously consider all the factors at play here..

OB

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟121,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
I wish people would stop being so dumb about this whole thing. People who won't get it and can are the problem
I agree with you on Trump ....but
Those are the statements that irritate me.
The freedom for others to make their own decision based on their evaluation through research or personal reasons ...does not make someone dumb.
Nobody really knows of all the side effects current or down the road that the vaccine will contribute to. Everybody is different and what may have zero effect on some may be catastrophic for others (as we already know).
It could be the sprite of God working in some to say "ya don't need that" or others who just believe and trust that God that He will protect them.
For you getting that vaccine that's fine...others who have had covid have immunities...and others are dosing with C, D, and Zinc.
So people who are not getting the stab are not the problem ...the problem is "Fear" perpetuated by this administration.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
In college you will spend time in close quarters with lots of other people. That’s exactly the situation where viruses spread. So there’s good reason to require vaccination. To call it experimental after so many people have had it is not sensible. Just get the vaccination for Covid, along with the others that most schools have required for years.

It’s not going to blow over, but it won’t be so special in the future. It will just be another vaccine on the list.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Taodeching

Oct 29, 2020
Southwest
✟60,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
has a 99% survival rate.

Tell that to the dead an those who lost loved ones, what you quote is false and the next few variants will not have a good survival rate. The problem is people here think they know everything so believe "the 99 percent survival" lie, after all a lie is very attractive the truth is not

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
-Sigh-

I think you would be happier if you just bite the bullet and get the shots. But if not do it online.

It could all blow over in a few years... let's say it goes away in 2.5 years from now, but that is still a long time to be side tracked especially when you are young.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,740.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
I don't think taking an experimental drug is really smart when the thing it protects against has a 99% survival rate. At best, this vaccine has been around since the early 2000s, which, if fertility is on the line (or cancer) would take several decades to realize.

Both the infertility and cancer issues are myths. Here's some real medical opinion on both. The second source (7 Myths) also mentions the issues of fertility and quick development.

Fertility Is it true? Do COVID-19 vaccines cause infertility? | Australian Government Department of Health
Do COVID-19 vaccines cause infertility?
There is no scientific evidence to support this. None of the COVID-19 vaccines currently under review by the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) cause sterilisation/infertility.

The TGA will not approve a vaccine for use in Australia unless it is safe and effective. This includes impacts on fertility.

The theory that COVID-19 vaccines cause infertility is based on the disproven idea that one of the spike proteins in COVID-19 and the Syncytin-1 protein (which help placenta development) are the same. They are not.

The COVID-19 vaccine, like other vaccines, works by training our bodies to develop antibodies to fight against the virus that causes COVID-19, to prevent future illness.

There is currently no evidence that antibodies formed from COVID-19 vaccination cause any problems with pregnancy, including the development of the placenta.

In addition, there is no evidence suggesting that fertility problems are a side effect of ANY vaccine.

People who are trying to become pregnant now or who plan to try in the future may receive the COVID-19 vaccine when it becomes available to them.

Cancer Fact Check: 7 Persistent Myths about COVID-19 Vaccines | Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (mskcc.org)
Myth: The mRNA vaccines change your DNA and could cause cancer.
Truth: None of the vaccines interact with or alter your DNA in any way, and therefore cannot cause cancer.

Messenger RNA (mRNA) is not the same as DNA and cannot be combined with DNA to change your genetic code. Here’s now mRNA vaccines actually work:

The mRNA vaccines use a tiny piece of the coronavirus’ genetic code to teach your immune system how to make a protein that will trigger an immune response if you get infected. The mRNA is fragile, so after it delivers the instructions to your cells, it breaks down and disappears from the body (in about 72 hours). The mRNA never even goes into the nucleus of the cell — the part that contains your DNA.

Therefore, there is no truth to the myth that somehow the mRNA vaccine could inactivate the genes that suppress tumors.​

• Winner
Reactions: Taodeching
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Fr. Appletree

Jun 24, 2021
Williamsburg
✟11,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
While you may not get ill you risk being a carrier for the disease and infecting others.

And just as an aside, Sodafox, as being someone unvaccinated you would not carry any moral burden if someone around you would suffer infection.

Similarly, you have no moral obligation to be vaccinated.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,740.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
And just as an aside, Sodafox, as being someone unvaccinated you would not carry any moral burden if someone around you would suffer infection.

Similarly, you have no moral obligation to be vaccinated.

Fortunately I'm an atheist, so I would feel morally compromised if I knowingly placed others at risk without a good reason.

OB

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fr. Appletree

Jun 24, 2021
Williamsburg
✟11,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Fortunately I'm an atheist, so I would feel morally compromised if I knowing placed others at risk without a good reason.

OB

What I said is based on basic ethical philosophy, not unique to any religion. As an atheist, you still maintain the burden of moral justification, unless you subscribe to moral anti-realism - and if so, then you wouldn't have a moral position at all.

For your position, you must overcome the is-ought barrier, effects topicality, and value calculus.

My position does not violate the is-ought barrier, avoids the effects topicality issue with Occam's Ra zor, and I use a value calculus which isn't authoritarian. As such, you would carry the burden of proof to show why the hypothesis is sound, as I represent the null.

Upvote 0

Palmfever

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2019
Hawaii
✟152,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As colleges issue controversial mandates that students be vaccinated or not attend classes, and reports surfaced of numerous deaths potentially caused by the various coronavirus vaccines, the inventor of the mRNA technology that went into some of the vaccines told Fox News on Wednesday that Google-owned YouTube deleted a posting of a podcast during which he discussed his concerns and findings.

As "Tucker Carlson Tonight" host Tucker Carlson noted, Dr. Robert Malone is "the single most qualified" expert on mRNA vaccines, but that the Big Tech companies are asserting themselves as more informed than him on the topic.

"A Norwegian study conducted of 100 nursing home residents who died after receiving Pfizer's Corona shots. They found that at least ten of those deaths were likely caused by the vaccine. 10%," said Carlson.
"One of my concerns are that the government is not being transparent with us about what those risks are. And so, I am of the opinion that people have the right to decide whether to accept vaccines or not, especially since these are experimental vaccines," Dr. Malone said, pointing to the fact the vaccines are not formally approved but instead being administered under Emergency Use Authorization.
Article

• Agree
Reactions: sandman
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,245.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Fortunately I'm an atheist, so I would feel morally compromised if I knowing placed others at risk without a good reason.

I don't think that's an atheism thing. As a Christian, the idea that there is no moral obligation to avoid being the spreader of a deadly disease is questionable.

All of us might unknowingly and unwillingly contribute to the spread of disease without being morally culpable. But when we have the opportunity to prevent such spread and refuse the opportunity, that would fall into "sin of omission" territory.

Edited to add: and I write this an hour or so before I get to roll up my sleeve for my first dose, for which I am profoundly grateful.

Last edited:
Upvote 0