Alma
✟80,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Asking you to prove racism isn't "defending" or "deflecting" it.
but dismissing racism as some sort of imaginary monster under the bed is.

Ok...wealth disparities, which include home ownership, income, savings, etc.

When I said most disparities....I meant most.
are you pretending that wealth disparities aren't tied to education, employment opportunities and pay disparities?

I didn't dismiss racism. Your problem is that you believe any accusation of racism proves racism. I believe that racism occurs when there's actual evidence of it.
like the evince the op-ed you linked to describes?

• Agree
Reactions: rambot
Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟903,440.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
  • Agree
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

Mayzoo

Jun 17, 2004
✟204,435.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
New dashboard highlights COVID-19 disparities by race, ethnicity

"Data shows that Black and Hispanic/Latinx populations are over-represented among COVID-19 cases, hospitalizations, and deaths compared to White Wisconsinites. Hispanic or Latinx Wisconsinites have roughly 2.4 times greater case rates, while Black Wisconsinites have more than three times greater hospitalization rates, and over double the death rate.

Health officials say the disparities could be caused by systemic racism, and socioeconomic differences across communities."
-------

There you have it, folks! If blacks didn't get treated as often for getting Covid as whites do, it's called systematic racism. But now we see that they're getting 3 times as much treatment, that is also called systematic racism.
What's the solution? Should we treat less of them in hospitals so they won't be "over-represented"???

It really is easier to make fun of a serious issue than to attempt to solve it. Not everyone is suited to solving complex issues either. Making fun of an issue we do not how to resolve is a self-defense mechanism many use. It releases the internal tension caused by the internal conflict we feel over not being to resolve a problem. We know we should solve this problem, but we do not know how to begin, so it is easier to pretend the issue does not exist and make fun of others who are choosing a more productive approach.

Rest assured, lots of people who have a temperament and patience for solving complicated issues are working on a resolution. Or as the generations pass, time and education will continue to greatly minimize racism. We have made progress in the last two generations, and I expect more will be made as time ticks on. This is the slower route, but it is at least progress as opposed to ignoring the issue.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,172.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It's about outcomes of a disease. That's what they're blaming on racism....outcomes.
You'll have to take it up with "them", I guess. Any chance of getting back to what I actually wrote? The question I was answering was "Name one disparity between blacks and whites in the US where blacks have a worse outcome that's not caused by racism".

Now that I have, you're trying to change the subject. Seems quite suspicious.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟364,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
It's probably because blacks live in the city more often so are in closer contact with others, statistically. Not sure how this relates to racism?
Not sure how this guess has convinced you.

• Agree
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟364,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Christ:
"Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse lepers, cast out demons. You received without paying; give without pay."

Today:
"Eh, screw it, make fun of the sick if it means you can own the libs"
Everything is on the table ...so long as u can own the libs.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Where I live, people in a certain part of town, mostly Latino, were the hardest hit . They were the people going to work everyday in unsafe conditions while many of us were able to work from home. My roommate works at a hospital and she says the people coming in with COVID are very disproportionately Latino and black, and mostly people working low wage jobs or the relatives of those people.

Were they not wearing masks at work?

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Early on, before the governor’s mask mandate, likely not. And certainly they weren’t able to socially distance at work. Low wage workers also are less likely to be able to stay home when they have symptoms. Look at what happened in meat processing plants.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟649,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
K

In your OP, you failed to consider the obvious (to me, anyways) possibility that minorities are suffering severe consequences of the disease at disproportionate rates. If you look at the dashboard, that certainly seems to be borne out by the fact that, as a share of the total population, blacks are also about 2.5x more likely to die from the disease as whites.

Why those disproportionate rates? It could be several things. It could be poverty and lack of access to good medical care. It could be the types of jobs held by certain groups. It could be the dependence on public transportation. It could be elevated stress levels from living in dysfunctional neighborhoods.

And yet they still aren't being denied the medical care, thus the 3x hospitalizations.
The old story was that systematic racism denies those people the same healthcare. Now the facts prove otherwise.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟649,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
This post demonstrates poor reading comprehension.

The issue is not that so many of them are "getting treated in hospital". No, they are suggesting that systemic racism could be a reason why blacks are disproportionately hit HARDER by the disease. It's not about how many in the hospital.

Then Covid 19 is the one that's being racist. Maybe you guys should try "cancelling" the virus, or maybe riot in the street against it, or write a blog about how you hate Covid 19. But quit using it as a way to justify calling the entire country "systematically racist".

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟649,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Christ:
"Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse lepers, cast out demons. You received without paying; give without pay."

Today:
"Eh, screw it, make fun of the sick if it means you can own the libs"

If you think pointing out that black people (the sick, in your post) are getting 3x as much treatment as whites is "making fun" of them, then your reading comprehension needs some work.
At least I'm not using the deaths of 220,000+ people as political fodder each night.

Upvote 0

Triumvirate

Oct 22, 2020
London
✟21,962.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If you think pointing out that black people (the sick, in your post) are getting 3x as much treatment as whites is "making fun" of them, then your reading comprehension needs some work.
At least I'm not using the deaths of 220,000+ people as political fodder each night.

Whatever you need to tell yourself mate, it's an ignorant joke at their expense.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟649,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Whatever you need to tell yourself mate, it's an ignorant joke at their expense.

You mean the other 2x just got discharged from the hospital while still sick?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.