✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Victoria is the envy of the world today, but the race isn't over

Charting the pandemic: Latest data shows Australia's progress towards suppression

On August 5th, Melbourne (a city of ~ 5 million) recorded 533 new cases in one day. We went into a strict lockdown that included a night curfew, closure of all non essential shops, and only being allowed out for 1 hour a day and then only for exercise, food shopping, and a few other essential reasons.

That lockdown went for 112 days.

During this time the tracking and tracing fiasco which was a major contributor to the second wave has been fixed.

Yesterday, Melbourne recorded 0 cases off 15000 tests. Today, Melbourne recorded 0 cases off 15000 tests. Tomorrow the lockdown ends, and we moved into a staged reopening which includes me going to the pub tomorrow evening for a beer.

We join the rest of Australia which since about May has recorded < 10 community cases across the rest of the country on a daily basis (with many states at 0), with the ability to go about our professional and private lives in a pretty close to "normal" environment which has no sustained community transmission of the virus, in the knowledge that the post lock down process now in place will keep it that way, just as it has in the rest of Australia for the last 5 months.

Good luck Wales, Ireland, and anywhere else following this path. Know there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

Last edited:

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Charting the pandemic: Latest data shows Australia's progress towards suppression

On August 5th, Melbourne (a city of ~ 5 million) recorded 533 new cases in one day. We went into a strict lockdown that included a night curfew, closure of all non essential shops, and only being allowed out for 1 hour a day and then only for exercise, food shopping, and a few other essential reasons.

During this time the tracking and tracing fiasco which was a major contributor to the second wave has been fixed.

Yesterday, Melbourne recorded 0 cases off 15000 tests. Today, Melbourne recorded 0 cases off 15000 tests. Tomorrow the lockdown ends, and we moved into a staged reopening which includes me going to the pub tomorrow evening for a beer.

We join the rest of Australia which since about May has recorded < 10 community cases across the rest of the country on a daily basis (with many states at 0), with the ability to go about our professional and private lives in a pretty close to "normal" environment which has no sustained community transmission of the virus, in the knowledge that the post lock down process now im place will keep it that way, just as it has in the rest of Australia for the last 5 months.

Good luck Wales, Ireland, and anywhere else following this path. Know there's a light at the end of the tunnel.
Well done, Melbourne!

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟361,729.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
The population where I live is too fickle and entitled and the government is too spineless and impatient. Sadly, we'll be stuck with a long, drawn out, far more troublesome than it would need to be situation, like south of us.

• Haha
Reactions: lasthero
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Australia is doing well because it's got overall good government policies combined with being surrounded by Asian nations that are less individualistic and more socially responsible.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The population where I live is too fickle and entitled and the government is too spineless and impatient. Sadly, we'll be stuck with a long, drawn out, far more troublesome than it would need to be situation, like south of us.
Well, how are things in Alabama?

Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

We join the rest of Australia which since about May has recorded < 10 community cases across the rest of the country on a daily basis (with many states at 0), with the ability to go about our professional and private lives in a pretty close to "normal" environment which has no sustained community transmission of the virus, in the knowledge that the post lock down process now in place will keep it that way, just as it has in the rest of Australia for the last 5 months.

Yes, it is great news for us. I'm in regional Victoria.
I hope and pray that with the opening up, that we will all continue to keep safe practices up.
The real test will be as things open up that it will continue to be controlled and I hope people don't go silly and throw away all the good that has been achieved.

I think our Premier has done an amazing job amidst this, sure some mistakes were made early but there was no precedent with this and a lot was "learn as you go".

And I also hope others can be encouraged with this result.
It can be done!

Upvote 0

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟228,160.00
Faith
Christian

The thing is, it's not even like Australia got everything right. Mistakes were made, some rules are too harsh, others too soft. But even with those issues, just applying some half-reasonable logic to the situation has kept deaths and serious cases massively lower than many countries in Europe and North America.

Trying to do something and mostly succeeding turns out to be a lot better than pretending nothing is wrong in the fist place. Who would have thought?

Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Heavenhome

Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Nobody cares. Only science illiterates care about all the covid nonsense.

.......and the families of the hundreds of thousands who have lost loved ones throughout the world.:(

Who would have thought ?
Well I have a challenge to anyone who thinks this is nothing, that's good the hospitals, nursing homes, shelters etc would probably welcome help even with just cleaning. You wouldn't even need a mask, so go and help.

Upvote 0

Xenophon

Jul 16, 2020
Smithfield
✟17,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
.......and the families of the hundreds of thousands who have lost loved ones throughout the world.:(

Who would have thought ?
Well I have a challenge to anyone who thinks this is nothing, that's good the hospitals, nursing homes, shelters etc would probably welcome help even with just cleaning. You wouldn't even need a mask, so go and help.

Unlike the science illiterates who freak out, I do. Nobody cares about such antiscience fear mongering.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Heavenhome

Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Oh, learn how to read. Get wrecked.
There is no need for that nasty reply, I hope you feel better getting that off your chest.

Anyway stay well and safe everyone, if we are sensible and considerate we can work together to protect each other and particularly the vulnerable in society.

Upvote 0

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
An old, obese, hardly active white American dude who needs help walking down a dry ramp beat COVID-19 and was only sick for three days.

That's no way to describe me. :mask:

• Haha
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Who would have thought ?

That's probably true about not needing a mask.
These 12 Graphs Show Mask Mandates Do Nothing To Stop COVID

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

It definitely isn't. The Federalist is the very last place to get scientific information from. You are better off consulting a magic eight ball.

Mask wearing is an important cog in the covid-safe machinery, together with things like social distancing, tracing/tracking, and limiting large group gatherings. All of these things contribute to non plague ridden society. The Federalist doesn't mention the relaxing of mask mandates that came later in Europe, the complete non compliance with distancing and groups that Europeans engaged in, or the multitude of studies which show mask wearing helps stop the spread.

This is not a political issue, it's not a liberty issue...unless you are a psychopath that enjoys killing people. It's a science issue, and that's without the bizarreness of Christians slavering to sacrifice their countrymen at the altar of mammon.

Upvote 0