USA
✟299,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
There's no ethical way to determine that.

A child just born to a woman with a COVID infection could (and should) be tested for the virus to see if it had been passed through the blood.

Do we have any reports of such? (I am aware of none.)

Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
A child just born to a woman with a COVID infection could (and should) be tested for the virus to see if it had been passed through the blood.

There's no "coulds and shoulds" when it comes to new borns. I for one wooud object to both a blood draw and a stick going down its nose if it were my child.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,908,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If it was a virus that could transmitted through bodily fluids, such as HIV, then there would be a chance, though small.

But, since, as it has been noted above, COVID is an airborne virus, no.
Thank you.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟299,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
There's no "coulds and shoulds" when it comes to new borns. I for one wooud object to both a blood draw and a stick going down its nose if it were my child.

I would think for the safety of you child you would want to know if it had been born with an infectious disease. I don't know if there is a "blood test" for COVID. (Yes there are antibody tests, but maternal antibodies can also be present, so I don't think an antibody test would inform.)

My point is that the testing of the newborn would be done for protecting the health of the newborn. If a doctor found a newborn infected in utero a report in the literature would be warranted.

• Agree
Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0

ironbjorn

Wanderer
Oct 13, 2020
Purgatory
✟22,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
At the start of summer I looked up if mosquitoes would present a problem with Covid since they bite one person and then the next. I read that Covid isn't passed through the blood and if it was possible, there is so little of the virus in the blood that it wouldn't be likely.

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
At the start of summer I looked up if mosquitoes would present a problem with Covid since they bite one person and then the next. I read that Covid isn't passed through the blood and if it was possible, there is so little of the virus in the blood that it wouldn't be likely.

What happened to west nile virus in ms, there has not been one mention in the news, of a person having west nile in ms. or at least the news i have seen

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟299,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

I have heard about some symptoms of COVID involving the blood directly or to spread within the body.

As a transmission mechanism, direct blood transmission is about the least effective. Even if there is a possibility of blood transmission with COVID, it would be very rare. The maternal transmission case would seem likely to be rare if it could even happen, but that was the subject of the OP. It would seem more likely that a nursing infant would be infected by close contact with their mother and her respiratory droplets.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

They could only be in contact with the mother's blood during the deliverly but I suppose it could be possible then through their mouth, nose, or eyes.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My point is that the testing of the newborn would be done for protecting the health of the newborn. If a doctor found a newborn infected in utero a report in the literature would be warranted.
A baby doesn't come in contact or share the mother's blood in utero.

Upvote 0

Tanj

Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I would think for the safety of you child you would want to know if it had been born with an infectious disease. I don't know if there is a "blood test" for COVID. (Yes there are antibody tests, but maternal antibodies can also be present, so I don't think an antibody test would inform.)

There's no absolutes in this space, and it has to be considered with reference to the risk and the reward. There's 0 evidence that cov2 infects or causes disease in new borns. There's always risk, not to mention discomfort/pain, involved in poking them with sticks, regardless of some single patient report showing someone was even more unethical and prodded the foetus in utero.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tanj

Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,435.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟674,302.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
From Tanj's link.

There is not a lot of information about infections in newborn babies born to mothers with coronavirus (COVID-19). In cases overseas, about half the babies born to infected mothers still developed coronavirus infection, despite being separated from mothers after birth and mostly formula fed. It is not known if this was passed on from the mother whilst she was pregnant or during birth, or if the baby got the infection after it was born. We do not know whether coronavirus can be passed on via breastmilk.

Upvote 0