COVID-19 may have improved my health

Sep 8, 2012
✟14,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
On august 19th 2021, something strange happened. My sense of taste and smell disappeared. I knew instantly: I had COVID-19. I thought I might get it as there had been an outbreak that was confirmed positive for COVID and some of my family interacted with people confirmed to be infected in the 7 day span before symptoms manifest.

Vitamin D and zinc were said to be crucial for helping the body fight off COVID infection. I tried to drink milk for vitamin D and eat things that are considered good sources of zinc.

Another strange thing happened. My appetite and sense of hunger disappeared the way my sense of smell and taste had. Even though I had not eaten much over a span of more than 24 hours, I still didn't feel hungry. My symptoms were mild. I dropped the vitamin D and zinc thinking maybe I would be lucky (or blessed by God) and have a mild case. Switched to drinking water.

Day 2 was the worst. Felt super weak and had no energy on that day. Spent all of it in bed sleeping. On day 3 I was feeling better. It felt like the worst had passed.

3 days passed without eating much of anything. Still no feelings of hunger. Drinking mostly water I felt a little like Jesus in the desert, fasting. Around day 4 or 5 of barely eating. I started to feel noticeably weaker. I began forcing myself to eat, even if I didn't feel like it.

Health experts tout the health benefits of intermittent water fasting. My COVID experience ended up being something like a week long water fast. While it wasn't the most fun thing in the world, I think it definitely did improve my health. By doing many of the cliche things people who do water fasts claim can happen, that I never really believed in. Clearer skin, less brain fog, more energy. Et cetera, et cetera.

On the bad side a month later my sense of taste is still wonky and my sense of smell hasn't completely returned. Hopefully both will return in time.

COVID isn't the most fun in the world but in my case, I think I might actually be healthier after having COVID than I was before having it. Maybe it is a "God works in mysterious ways" thing? I would be interested to know if anyone has had a similar experience.

Last edited:

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi @1rreducibly Complex

Thanks for your testimony. Now, do you have any tested proof that what you think 'might' have happened to you, is actually the source of your 'improvement'? After all, a steady diet of water will often clear your complexion without the problem of Covid. Less brain fog would really be a hard metric to test or show, but if you believe you're less foggy after having Covid, then that's a great thing for you. Just think some 7,000 people must be having less brain fog right now in their graves.

God bless,
Ted

Upvote 0
Sep 8, 2012
✟14,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi @1rreducibly Complex

Thanks for your testimony. Now, do you have any tested proof that what you think 'might' have happened to you, is actually the source of your 'improvement'?

I'll try to explain the basic theory behind it.

It naturally takes time for the body to remove toxins. Recovering from alcohol or a hangover is one example. If a person drinks a steady stream of alcohol their body could never purge itself of alcohol, at a faster rate than it is being consumed.

This principle also applies to toxins and unhealthy ingredients in food and beverages. The body can never remove a steady stream of unhealthy food toxins at a faster rate than consumption.

One answer to this, is water fasting. Eating nothing for 24+ hours drinking only water. In theory it stops the flow of consumption and gives the body time to remove toxins and things that are unhealthy. It also gives the body time to heal.

There are many world class athletes and health gurus who swear by this. The muslim faith mandates fasting as a requirement during ramadan. There is plenty of evidence for it being effective in the many testimonials for it working from those who didn't benefit and weren't paid to endorse anything.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
On august 19th 2021, something strange happened. My sense of taste and smell disappeared. I knew instantly: I had COVID-19. I thought I might get it as there had been an outbreak that was confirmed positive for COVID and some of my family interacted with people confirmed to be infected in the 7 day span before symptoms manifest.

Vitamin D and zinc were said to be crucial for helping the body fight off COVID infection. I tried to drink milk for vitamin D and eat things that are considered good sources of zinc.

Another strange thing happened. My appetite and sense of hunger disappeared the way my sense of smell and taste had. Even though I had not eaten much over a span of more than 24 hours, I still didn't feel hungry. My symptoms were mild. I dropped the vitamin D and zinc thinking maybe I would be lucky (or blessed by God) and have a mild case. Switched to drinking water.

Day 2 was the worst. Felt super weak and had no energy on that day. Spent all of it in bed sleeping. On day 3 I was feeling better. It felt like the worst had passed.

3 days passed without eating much of anything. Still no feelings of hunger. Drinking mostly water I felt a little like Jesus in the desert, fasting. Around day 4 or 5 of barely eating. I started to feel noticeably weaker. I began forcing myself to eat, even if I didn't feel like it.

Health experts tout the health benefits of intermittent water fasting. My COVID experience ended up being something like a week long water fast. While it wasn't the most fun thing in the world, I think it definitely did improve my health. By doing many of the cliche things people who do water fasts claim can happen, that I never really believed in. Clearer skin, less brain fog, more energy. Et cetera, et cetera.

On the bad side a month later my sense of taste is still wonky and my sense of smell hasn't completely returned. Hopefully both will return in time.

COVID isn't the most fun in the world but in my case, I think I might actually be healthier after having COVID than I was before having it. Maybe it is a "God works in mysterious ways" thing? I would be interested to know if anyone has had a similar experience.
I had pancreatitis. It's a miserable illness. I was told that only childbirth is more painful. I could believe it. I was on nil by mouth for 5 days. I lost 5 kg. It was the thirst that was the hardest.

The good part? The dietician came to see me, worried about my weight. She wanted me to eat more and get some weight on. I've not heard that in 40 years. In theory, I'd gone down to my correct weight. Apparently we've been lied to all these years. BMI has little meaning. So I've managed to force myself to eat more. You know, the major food groups - pizza, hamburgers, KFC and such. It's been tough, but I've been able to put weight on.

Upvote 0

LeafByNiggle

Jul 20, 2021
Minneapolis
✟174,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
On august 19th 2021, something strange happened. My sense of taste and smell disappeared. I knew instantly: I had COVID-19.....

3 days passed without eating much of anything. Still no feelings of hunger. Drinking mostly water I felt a little like Jesus in the desert, fasting. Around day 4 or 5 of barely eating. I started to feel noticeably weaker. I began forcing myself to eat, even if I didn't feel like it......

I think I might actually be healthier after having COVID than I was before having it. Maybe it is a "God works in mysterious ways" thing? I would be interested to know if anyone has had a similar experience.

While it is true that intermittent fasting can produce lots of health benefits, fighting off COVID is not one of them. If you had fasted without getting COVID you would have gained the same benefits. As for your recovery, that is what most people do. They recover with no outside help. You were lucky that you were among the "most people". I don't think you were implying that fasting helped you fight COVID, but in case any readers get the wrong idea that all they have to do is fast to get rid of COVID, I just wanted to put that idea to rest.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'll try to explain the basic theory behind it.

It naturally takes time for the body to remove toxins. Recovering from alcohol or a hangover is one example. If a person drinks a steady stream of alcohol their body could never purge itself of alcohol, at a faster rate than it is being consumed.

This principle also applies to toxins and unhealthy ingredients in food and beverages. The body can never remove a steady stream of unhealthy food toxins at a faster rate than consumption.

One answer to this, is water fasting. Eating nothing for 24+ hours drinking only water. In theory it stops the flow of consumption and gives the body time to remove toxins and things that are unhealthy. It also gives the body time to heal.

There are many world class athletes and health gurus who swear by this. The muslim faith mandates fasting as a requirement during ramadan. There is plenty of evidence for it being effective in the many testimonials for it working from those who didn't benefit and weren't paid to endorse anything.

Hi @1rreducibly Complex

Right!!! I get all that. But so far all you have is some general ruminations that 'maybe' having the Covid was a benefit to your body. I'm pretty sure there are at least 7,000 people, and many who are still in hospital clinging to life, that aren't going to feel so cheery about having had Covid.

So, if you've got some medical evidence that you bring out that supports any idea that having Covid necessarily makes you stronger, because it didn't kill you (as the song says), I'm all ears. But if all you're interested in doing is ruminating about some ideas you might have, then I say, "Good for you, but I'm not about to push some idea that we shouldn't get vaccinated against this deadly disease because a half dozen people have given testimony that they feel better than before they got it, but over 7,000 people would say, if they could, that they don't.

Perhaps your changed regimen of drinking water and fasting is really what made you feel better as to your health and that's a wonderful thing. So write a book and tell people to drink water and fast, but don't tell them they shouldn't take precautions against Covid because the change in regimen that it caused you to adopt made you feel better about your health. The two issues really don't relate to one another except that it was your feeling terribly lousy for a few days that made you change your regimen to a more healthy one than you had before the Covid attacked your body.

God bless,
Ted

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Today I went to the grocery store and bought some cheese, among a few other things. I got home anticipating that cheese, but when I tried it, it was tasteless. I thought I might have Covid, til I saw on the package, "Gluten Free". Bleahhh!

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Today I went to the grocery store and bought some cheese, among a few other things. I got home anticipating that cheese, but when I tried it, it was tasteless. I thought I might have Covid, til I saw on the package, "Gluten Free". Bleahhh!
I’m still waiting for “Bread-Free Bread!”

Upvote 0
Sep 8, 2012
✟14,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I had pancreatitis. It's a miserable illness. I was told that only childbirth is more painful. I could believe it. I was on nil by mouth for 5 days. I lost 5 kg. It was the thirst that was the hardest.

The good part? The dietician came to see me, worried about my weight. She wanted me to eat more and get some weight on. I've not heard that in 40 years. In theory, I'd gone down to my correct weight. Apparently we've been lied to all these years. BMI has little meaning. So I've managed to force myself to eat more. You know, the major food groups - pizza, hamburgers, KFC and such. It's been tough, but I've been able to put weight on.

Gaining weight generally increases blood pressure. Which can have health benefits for those with dangerously low blood pressure. Or illness that make them susceptible to developing it.

Many of the things gluten is blamed for. Could actually be caused by genetically modified food products (GMOs).

Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Gaining weight generally increases blood pressure. Which can have health benefits for those with dangerously low blood pressure. Or illness that make them susceptible to developing it.

Many of the things gluten is blamed for. Could actually be caused by genetically modified food products (GMOs).
The most ardent opponent of GM foods in Australia finally admitted they'd got it wrong. GM foods have been around long to enough to demonstrate that they are entirely safe. If anything should be investigated, it is homeopathic "remedies", which have no checks and balances. Also, vitamins that likewise have little scientific basis for their claims.

Many people are sick from stress and worry. If they could relax a little, their health would improve. Add in the toxin alcohol and you have a unhealthy combination.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums