Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
On a recent Friday evening, 7,000 people gathered in downtown Fort Worth’s Trinity Park overlooking the river to sing to Jesus and experience what they’ve heard is a revival sweeping the nation during months of civil unrest and pandemic-related restrictions.

Some drove hundreds of miles to jump, shout and raise their hands to the guitar strumming by evangelical worship leader Sean Feucht, singing lyrics like “up from the ashes, hope will arise/ death is defeated, the king will arise!” and “this is how I fight my battles/ it may look like I’m surrounded/ but I’m surrounded by You [God].” Few people wore masks, but those in the back of the crowd sat grouped on picnic blankets and lawn chairs or stood socially distanced. The music was upbeat and joyful. Jumping and smiling was encouraged. At the end, those who decided to come forward and accept an invitation to know Jesus were dunked in a tank full of water behind plexiglass.

In some cities like Seattle that did not permit his team to host an outdoor gathering, Feucht has called the event a “worship protest” to resist restrictions on religious services and emphasize that Black Lives Matter protests have circumvented bans on large gatherings. He even gathered Christians on the block where George Floyd died.

“Where there was riot God brought revival!” Feucht shouted from a makeshift platform, brushing aside his long blonde curls that evoke a trendy, California surfer vibe. “I believe the enemy [the devil] overplayed his hand and now the church across America is rising up.”

Feucht, associated with the charismatic non-denominational megachurch Bethel in California known globally for exporting its worship music, has broadcast worship, claims of revival and political support for President Donald Trump on a national tour of dozens of cities. Although Feucht is the most visible leader, several charismatic churches and ministries have organized similar but disconnected outdoor gatherings around the country that emphasize preaching the gospel (the Bible’s main message of hope that Jesus can save souls) and praying for unity during a time of political polarization, performing baptisms and prophesying a national revival of souls to Christianity they say is already taking place. They believe this year of hardships is creating an opportunity for ministry, to bring healing and peace.

Continued below.
COVID-19 Is Fueling A New Jesus Movement

Freedm

Sep 27, 2020
Austin TX
✟40,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I really believe that the way to win souls for Christ is to literally preach the good news because it is hopeful and it's not complicated. I'm extremely frustrated with the vast majority of churches today because they're doing nothing but driving people away with their pretentious piety, avoidance of controversy and focus on community. As Christians we don't need to pretend to be pious, we shouldn't be avoiding controversial topics, and the primary drawing force of a church service should not be the opportunity to gather with friends and have coffee; YOU CAN DO THAT AT STARBUCKS!!! No, a church service needs to preach the gospel and preach it in a way that matters to people, warning of the devil, explaining the plan, speaking the truth, spreading the encouragement of resurrection after death, and the ultimate union with God the creator.

It sounds like these outdoor worship services, although preaching is not the focus, are at least getting back to basics by spreading hope and joy, just as the early Christians did.

Upvote 0