COVID-19 Cases Top 3 Million World Wide. U.S. Cases Set to Hit 1 Million by End of April

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟239,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
upload_2020-4-27_13-11-15.png

Global Death rate: 6.9%
Resolved Case Death Rate: 19.4%

We're not slowing down yet. Even with increased testing, though that has been lacking.

And Florida, Georgia and other states are actually opening back up. Even with restrictions I think this is probably a mistake. On top of news/rumors that people who have had the virus and recovered are not showing immunity and are able to continue to spread it.

• Useful
Reactions: Tom 1

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟887,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
View attachment 275548

We're not slowing down yet. Even with increased testing, though that has been lacking.

And Florida, Georgia and other states are actually opening back up. Even with restrictions I think this is probably a mistake. On top of news/rumors that people who have had the virus and recovered are not showing immunity and are able to continue to spread it.
I started a thread about what I noticed about the states that are re-opening we shell see in a couple of weeks.

Upvote 0

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟239,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I started a thread about what I noticed about the states that are re-opening we shell see in a couple of weeks.

Can you link? I don't see it. Thanks!

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟887,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟213,623.00
Faith
Non-Denom
View attachment 275548

I think if they did over all testing they'd find a lot more people have it as carriers. This would actually make the global death rate not true at all but much, much lower.

• Winner
Reactions: Ricky M
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

I'm back
Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟676,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
View attachment 275548

This is a better metric by which to understand what public health officials are talking about when they say it's slowing down:

Link

Upvote 0

Ricky M

Supporter
Apr 19, 2017
Los Angeles
✟130,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think if they did over all testing they'd find a lot more people have it as carriers. This would actually make the global death rate not true at all but much, much lower.
3 million out of 7.8 billion. 1 million out of 330 million. It's not a good situation, but when numbers are skewed to make it look worse, it doesn't help anyone.

Reactions: Hieronymus
Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟321,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
View attachment 275548

It's probably a mistake . Since the numbers are going. We should have treated it like China. Forced Quarantine for everyone. Especially people coming back from China ,Italy and other countries.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,388,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's probably a lot, lot more than that and if so what does that tell us?

...if half of the US population is eventually infected over the next year, a .6 percent fatality rate would kill a million people.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟213,623.00
Faith
Non-Denom
...if half of the US population is eventually infected over the next year, a .6 percent fatality rate would kill a million people.
Hold it now....the question really is if a lot more people are infected NOW....what does that tell us. You're going by the assumption that if half the population were infected in the future their symptoms and state of being would all be similar to the ones having a real struggle with the virus.

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟339,453.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hold it now....the question really is if a lot more people are infected NOW....what does that tell us. You're going by the assumption that if half the population were infected in the future their symptoms and state of being would all be similar to the ones having a real struggle with the virus.
I'm not clear on what you're asking. After you correct for the fact that a lot more people have been infected than have tested positive, the death rate is in the range of 0.5% - 1.0% per infected person. That means a lot of people will die, since the bulk of the population (at least apart from the hottest of hot spots) still hasn't been infected.

Upvote 0

Ricky M

Supporter
Apr 19, 2017
Los Angeles
✟130,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm not clear on what you're asking. After you correct for the fact that a lot more people have been infected than have tested positive, the death rate is in the range of 0.5% - 1.0% per infected person. That means a lot of people will die, since the bulk of the population (at least apart from the hottest of hot spots) still hasn't been infected.
Which poses an interesting conundrum... herd immunity will be the key to getting control over this, but you can't achieve herd immunity until the herd is exposed. I think the total lock-down is going to prove a mistake and extend the amount of time it will take to achieve herd immunity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟339,453.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Which poses an interesting conundrum... herd immunity will be the key to getting control over this, but you can't achieve herd immunity until the herd is exposed.
You can achieve herd immunity by exposing most of the herd or by vaccinating most of the herd. In the absence of a vaccine, you can achieve herd immunity by exposing more of the population if the exposure is rapid or somewhat less if it is slower. You can expose them with an overwhelmed health care system or with a functioning system, and with working therapeutics in hand or without them.

In each case, slowing transmission leads to better health outcomes.

Upvote 0