Covenant with Abraham - In Essence, a Christian Covenant?

msortwell

Mar 9, 2004
Gibson, Wisconsin
✟183,401.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Consider the following . . .

Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ. And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect.(Gal 3:16-17 - KJV)

τοῦτο δὲ λέγω διαθήκην προκεκυρωμένην ὑπὸ τοῦ θεοῦ εἰς Χριστὸν ὁ μετὰ ἔτη τετρακόσια καὶ τριάκοντα γεγονὼς νόμος οὐκ ἀκυροῖ εἰς τὸ καταργῆσαι τὴν ἐπαγγελίαν (Gal 3:17 - Textus Receptus)

Do you consider the Textus Receptus to be incorrect in its inclusion of εἰς Χριστὸν (which is carried into the KJV)?

Is the inclusion of this reference to Christ inconsistent with the truth taught in the balance of Galations 3? And, if the inclusion of the reference to Christ in Galation 3:17 is consistent with the balance of Galations 3, would that not make the Abrahamic Covenant, in a sense, a Christian covenant?

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I believe there is nothing that could possibly even come close to making the Abrahamic Covenant in any sense a Christian Covenant, no.

("Covenant Theology" withstanding. i.e. they might have their own definitions and terms and such, such that they can make it into , or to look like,
a so-called "Christian Covenant" if they wanted to for some reason)

Upvote 0

msortwell

Mar 9, 2004
Gibson, Wisconsin
✟183,401.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I believe there is nothing that could possibly even come close to making the Abrahamic Covenant in any sense a Christian Covenant, no.

("Covenant Theology" withstanding. i.e. they might have their own definitions and terms and such, such that they can make it into , or to look like,

So . . . The reference to Christ in Gal 3:17 in The Received Text is in error or . . . ?

Upvote 0

Long Beard

Judeo-Christian
Supporter
Dec 12, 2018
Middle Tennessee
✟44,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Divorced
I do not see an inconsistency... and do not understand why it could be considered that the covenant made with Abraham is not a covenant for followers of Christ... Christ is the covenant.

Christ and Abraham are in covenant. When I make covenant with Christ... I am in covenant with everything Christ is in covenant with...

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟154,100.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ. And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect.(Gal 3:16-17 - KJV)

τοῦτο δὲ λέγω διαθήκην προκεκυρωμένην ὑπὸ τοῦ θεοῦ εἰς Χριστὸν ὁ μετὰ ἔτη τετρακόσια καὶ τριάκοντα γεγονὼς νόμος οὐκ ἀκυροῖ εἰς τὸ καταργῆσαι τὴν ἐπαγγελίαν (Gal 3:17 - Textus Receptus)

Do you consider the Textus Receptus to be incorrect in its inclusion of εἰς Χριστὸν (which is carried into the KJV)?

Is the inclusion of this reference to Christ inconsistent with the truth taught in the balance of Galations 3? And, if the inclusion of the reference to Christ in Galation 3:17 is consistent with the balance of Galations 3, would that not make the Abrahamic Covenant, in a sense, a Christian covenant?

I believe the phrase is consistent with the context. It was the result of God saying "to your seed" (singular, meaning Christ - as Paul says here) that Abraham believed God. In other words, it "clicked" that Abraham understood the connection between the Messiah to come and his covenant with God. Jesus also acknowledged this when he said "Abraham saw My day, and was glad."

It is the same for all the people mentioned in Heb. 11, that they understood the connection between their relationship with God and the Messiah to come. So, Heb. 11 is not talking about a generic faith, but about their specific faith in the coming Messiah that held them to God's covenant. Notice it says "they received promises" but later says "they did not receive the promise" - meaning Christ, who is the whole subject of Heb. They understood the Messiah to be their personal Redeemer, as Job also did.
TD:)

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The Abrahamic Covenant was a dualistic covenant, he had a spiritual and physical seed, with spiritual and physical promises. In its carnal, plain nature, the Abrahamic Covenant defined the essential structure of the Old Covenant (you shall possess a land, become a nation, and kings shall come forth from you). In its spiritual nature, it promised another Covenant in his offspring, who is Christ. In Christ, all nations are blessed. We, being in Christ, who is Abraham's offspring, inherit the spiritual promises by faith made to Abraham regarding eternal life and righteousness, being heirs with him of that hope and a partaker of the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

msortwell

Mar 9, 2004
Gibson, Wisconsin
✟183,401.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The Abrahamic Covenant was a dualistic covenant, he had a spiritual and physical seed, with spiritual and physical promises. In its carnal, plain nature, the Abrahamic Covenant defined the essential structure of the Old Covenant (you shall possess a land, become a nation, and kings shall come forth from you). In its spiritual nature, it promised another Covenant in his offspring, who is Christ. In Christ, all nations are blessed. We, being in Christ, who is Abraham's offspring, inherit the spiritual promises by faith made to Abraham regarding eternal life and righteousness, being heirs with him of that hope and a partaker of the Holy Spirit.

So . . . is that a 'yes,' the Abrahamic Covenant is . . . in a sense . . . a Christian covenant?

Reactions: BABerean2
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
So . . . is that a 'yes,' the Abrahamic Covenant is . . . in a sense . . . a Christian covenant?

I don't think so. It is more of a 'Jewish' Covenant and the New Covenant is the 'Christian Covenant.'

Upvote 0

msortwell

Mar 9, 2004
Gibson, Wisconsin
✟183,401.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I don't think so. It is more of a 'Jewish' Covenant and the New Covenant is the 'Christian Covenant.'

But, you do agree that the Abrahamic Covenant was fulfilled, and will be fully consummated, in its real sense, through Christ alone?

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
But, you do agree that the Abrahamic Covenant was fulfilled, and will be fully consummated, in its real sense, through Christ alone?

The Abraham Covenant was fully consummated in Solomon, after God set David's throne in Israel. It was under Solomon that the Abrahamic people possessed all of the land, were a nation, ruled by their own kings. Furthermore, it was in his reign that they experieced the full extent and glory of all that was promised Abraham and to his physical descendants.

But, I do agree that the Old Covenant was fulfilled by the New Covenant (for that was what was promised), and all the carnal promises and the carnal nation of Israel ceased to be. The Church did not replace Israel, we've existed before and within the nation, but our covenant was not fully established until the advent of Christ and the work he had to do was completed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Choose Wisely

Forgiven
Supporter
Jan 7, 2011
Texas
✟106,222.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Come on, don't you see it. All you have to do is add some smoke and mirrors.

Upvote 0

msortwell

Mar 9, 2004
Gibson, Wisconsin
✟183,401.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Come on, don't you see it. All you have to do is add some smoke and mirrors.

“16 Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ. 17 And this I say, [that] the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect. 18 For if the inheritance [be] of the law, [it is] no more of promise: but God gave [it] to Abraham by promise. . . . 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 And if ye [be] Christ’s, then are ye Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.” (Ga 3:16-29 AV)

If by "smoke and mirrors" you mean simply accepting what the inspired Word provides . . .

Reactions: ralliann
Upvote 0

Butch5

Supporter
Apr 7, 2012
Homer Georgia
Visit site
✟308,497.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Good observation. Yes, the Abrahamic covenant is very much for Christians. The promise that Paul is referencing is the promise to Abraham, that he would inherit the land. Most Christians miss this because they buy into the Heavenly destiny idea. Rather than going to Heaven, the Christian's destiny is to spend eternity on earth. Here is the promise that Paul is referring to.

14 And the LORD said unto Abram, after that Lot was separated from him, Lift up now thine eyes, and look from the place where thou art northward, and southward, and eastward, and westward:
15 For all the land which thou seest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed for ever. (Gen. 13:14-15 KJV)

And there was a famine in the land, beside the first famine that was in the days of Abraham. And Isaac went unto Abimelech king of the Philistines unto Gerar.
2 And the LORD appeared unto him, and said, Go not down into Egypt; dwell in the land which I shall tell thee of:
3 Sojourn in this land, and I will be with thee, and will bless thee; for unto thee, and unto thy seed, I will give all these countries, and I will perform the oath which I sware unto Abraham thy father; (Gen. 26:1-3 KJV)

God promised to give the land to Abraham and his Seed. This same promise was made to Isaac and Jacob. However, notice what Isaac says to Jacob.

And Isaac called Jacob, and blessed him, and charged him, and said unto him, Thou shalt not take a wife of the daughters of Canaan.
2 Arise, go to Padanaram, to the house of Bethuel thy mother's father; and take thee a wife from thence of the daught ers of Laban thy mother's brother.
3 And God Almighty bless thee, and make thee fruitful, and multiply thee, that thou mayest be a multitude of people;
4 And give thee the blessing of Abraham, to thee, and to thy seed with thee; that thou mayest inherit the land wherein thou art a stranger, which God gave unto Abraham. (Gen. 28:1-4 KJV)

Here we see that "the blessing of Abraham" is to inherit the land that God promised to Abraham. This phrase, "the blessing of Abraham" is only used twice in Scripture. It's used here in Genesis and Paul uses it and applies it to the Gentiles.

13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:
14 That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith. (Gal. 3:13-14 KJV)

Paul says that the blessing of Abraham comes upon the Gentiles through faith in Christ. We saw from Genesis that "the blessing of Abraham" is the inheritance of the land. It was promised to Abraham and his Seed. Paul goes on to say,

16 Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ. (Gal. 3:16 KJV)

So Paul says that the Seed that the promise was made to, was Christ. When God made the promise to Abraham and his Seed, that Seed was Christ. So, the land inheritance comes upon the Gentiles through faith in Christ. He is the heir of the land. Paul also mentions this in Romans.

16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together. (Rom. 8:16-17 KJV)

He says that believers are joint-heirs with Christ. That inheritance is the land that was promised to Abraham and his Seed.

Upvote 0

msortwell

Mar 9, 2004
Gibson, Wisconsin
✟183,401.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Good observation. Yes, the Abrahamic covenant is very much for Christians. The promise that Paul is referencing is the promise to Abraham, that he would inherit the land. Most Christians miss this because they buy into the Heavenly destiny idea. Rather than going to Heaven, the Christian's destiny is to spend eternity on earth. Here is the promise that Paul is referring to.

14 And the LORD said unto Abram, after that Lot was separated from him, Lift up now thine eyes, and look from the place where thou art northward, and southward, and eastward, and westward:
15 For all the land which thou seest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed for ever. (Gen. 13:14-15 KJV)

And there was a famine in the land, beside the first famine that was in the days of Abraham. And Isaac went unto Abimelech king of the Philistines unto Gerar.
2 And the LORD appeared unto him, and said, Go not down into Egypt; dwell in the land which I shall tell thee of:
3 Sojourn in this land, and I will be with thee, and will bless thee; for unto thee, and unto thy seed, I will give all these countries, and I will perform the oath which I sware unto Abraham thy father; (Gen. 26:1-3 KJV)

God promised to give the land to Abraham and his Seed. This same promise was made to Isaac and Jacob. However, notice what Isaac says to Jacob.

And Isaac called Jacob, and blessed him, and charged him, and said unto him, Thou shalt not take a wife of the daughters of Canaan.
2 Arise, go to Padanaram, to the house of Bethuel thy mother's father; and take thee a wife from thence of the daught ers of Laban thy mother's brother.
3 And God Almighty bless thee, and make thee fruitful, and multiply thee, that thou mayest be a multitude of people;
4 And give thee the blessing of Abraham, to thee, and to thy seed with thee; that thou mayest inherit the land wherein thou art a stranger, which God gave unto Abraham. (Gen. 28:1-4 KJV)

Here we see that "the blessing of Abraham" is to inherit the land that God promised to Abraham. This phrase, "the blessing of Abraham" is only used twice in Scripture. It's used here in Genesis and Paul uses it and applies it to the Gentiles.

13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:
14 That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith. (Gal. 3:13-14 KJV)

Paul says that the blessing of Abraham comes upon the Gentiles through faith in Christ. We saw from Genesis that "the blessing of Abraham" is the inheritance of the land. It was promised to Abraham and his Seed. Paul goes on to say,

16 Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ. (Gal. 3:16 KJV)

So Paul says that the Seed that the promise was made to, was Christ. When God made the promise to Abraham and his Seed, that Seed was Christ. So, the land inheritance comes upon the Gentiles through faith in Christ. He is the heir of the land. Paul also mentions this in Romans.

16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together. (Rom. 8:16-17 KJV)

He says that believers are joint-heirs with Christ. That inheritance is the land that was promised to Abraham and his Seed.

Interesting . . . This requires me to ask a question, in light of the following . . .

Isaiah 65:17, For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind. KJV

Isaiah 66:22, For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the LORD, so shall your seed and your name remain. KJV

2 Peter 3:13, Nevertheless we, to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.KJV

Revelation 21:1, And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea. KJV

Do you believe that the land, to which God directed Abraham's attention in Gen. 13:14-15 is exempt from the passing away mentioned in Rev 21:1?

I suspect that God was speaking to Abraham in "short hand," as it were. For Abraham's seed (Christ) was to become heir of ALL things, and the redeemed would be joint heirs with Christ, children according to that same promise.

Hebrews 1:1-2
1:1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

Romans 8:16-17
17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together. KJV

Therefore, those in Christ would become heirs, possessing, in Christ, all that is - be it earthly or heavenly. In this way is God working toward the fulfillment of all that He promise Abraham.

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟154,100.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

The way I read this is that there is a distinction between the physical and spiritual elements of the covenant. The spiritual element applies to Christians, namely being right with God by faith in Christ, which Abraham was granted, and how he became a father of many nations as Paul points out. But the physical elements of the covenant do not apply to us. For example, we did not inherit the land that was given to his descendants.

I think the confusion between the two dimensions has caused the controversy between orthodoxy and dispensationalism. But that's off topic.
TD:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Butch5

Supporter
Apr 7, 2012
Homer Georgia
Visit site
✟308,497.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Interesting . . . This requires me to ask a question, in light of the following . . .

Isaiah 65:17, For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind. KJV

Isaiah 66:22, For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the LORD, so shall your seed and your name remain. KJV

2 Peter 3:13, Nevertheless we, to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.KJV

Revelation 21:1, And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea. KJV

Do you believe that the land, to which God directed Abraham's attention in Gen. 13:14-15 is exempt from the passing away mentioned in Rev 21:1?

I suspect that God was speaking to Abraham in "short hand," as it were. For Abraham's seed (Christ) was to become heir of ALL things, and the redeemed would be joint heirs with Christ, children according to that same promise.

Hebrews 1:1-2
1:1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

Romans 8:16-17
17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together. KJV

Therefore, those in Christ would become heirs, possessing, in Christ, all that is - be it earthly or heavenly. In this way is God working toward the fulfillment of all that He promise Abraham.

Hi msortwell
I believe what we see in the Bible is the fulfilling of this promise to Abraham. The promise is actually fourfold. God promise to,
1. Make Abraham the father of a great nation
2. To make him the father of many nations.
3. That all nations would be blessed through him, and
4. That he would inherit the land.

Galatians 3 is a summary of the entire Bible. Gd did make Abraham the father of a great nation, Israel. He also made him the father of many nations. Through Christ all believers are Abraham's seed. God is also blessing all nations through Abraham via Christ. The final part of the promise is the land inheritance.

Regarding the passages you quoted about the new heavens and new earth, let me say, when we today, think of the word new, we think of another one. A different one. However, in Scripture we are told that God will renew existing things.

20 And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you:
21 Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began. (Acts 3:20-21 KJV)

Peter speaks of the restoring of all things. John, writing the words of God does the same. Notice further in Rev 21.

4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
5 And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful. (Rev. 21:4-5 KJV)

Notice God said, "I make all things new". He didn't say I make all new things. This is a restoration that God is speaking of. He's talking about restoring the creation. Also, note that the heavens are the atmosphere. Remember Gen. 1, "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth". There are also passages that imply this even though they don't state it outright. For instance, Isaiah prophesies about the New Jerusalem.

17 For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind.
18 But be ye glad and rejoice for ever in that which I create: for, behold, I create Jerusalem a rejoicing, and her people a joy.
19 And I will rejoice in Jerusalem, and joy in my people: and the voice of weeping shall be no more heard in her, nor the voice of crying. (Isa. 65:17-19 KJV)

Notice that God said there will be no more weeping and crying in the New Jerusalem. This implies that there was previously weeping and crying in Jerusalem. This implies that the New Jerusalem and the present Jerusalem are one and the same.

Likewise God promised David that the fruit of David's womb would sit on his throne forever. David's throne was in Jerusalem. Christ will sit on David's throne in Jerusalem.

Here's another, Zion is Jerusalem,

13 For the LORD hath chosen Zion; he hath desired it for his habitation.
14 This is my rest for ever: here will I dwell; for I have desired it. (Ps. 132:13-14 KJV)

This implies that Jerusalem will continue to exist. So, I submit that it's not that the new heavens and earth are not different ones , but rather the present ones restored. When the inheritance in mentioned in Scripture it is the land. This earth is Christ's inheritance, and as joint heirs, Christians too will inherit it.

So, I submit that it is the Christian's destiny to inherit the land and to live on it. That is a a part of the Abrahamic Covenant and the Christian's hope.

Upvote 0

Butch5

Supporter
Apr 7, 2012
Homer Georgia
Visit site
✟308,497.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Abraham Covenant was fully consummated in Solomon, after God set David's throne in Israel. It was under Solomon that the Abrahamic people possessed all of the land, were a nation, ruled by their own kings. Furthermore, it was in his reign that they experieced the full extent and glory of all that was promised Abraham and to his physical descendants.

But, I do agree that the Old Covenant was fulfilled by the New Covenant (for that was what was promised), and all the carnal promises and the carnal nation of Israel ceased to be. The Church did not replace Israel, we've existed before and within the nation, but our covenant was not fully established until the advent of Christ and the work he had to do was completed.

But the land was promised to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob and they never received it.

Then said the high priest, Are these things so?
2 And he said, Men, brethren, and fathers, hearken; The God of glory appeared unto our father Abraham, when he was in Mesopotamia, before he dwelt in Charran,
3 And said unto him, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and come into the land which I shall shew thee.
4 Then came he out of the land of the Chaldaeans, and dwelt in Charran: and from thence, when his father was dead, he removed him into this land, wherein ye now dwell.
5 And he gave him none inheritance in it, no, not so much as to set his foot on: yet he promised that he would give it to him for a possession, and to his seed after him, when as yet he had no child. (Acts 7:1-5 KJV)

The land promise has not been fulfilled as these men didn't receive it. The only way they can receive it is in the Resurrection.

• Agree
Reactions: ralliann
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
But the land was promised to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob and they never received it.

Then said the high priest, Are these things so?
2 And he said, Men, brethren, and fathers, hearken; The God of glory appeared unto our father Abraham, when he was in Mesopotamia, before he dwelt in Charran,
3 And said unto him, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and come into the land which I shall shew thee.
4 Then came he out of the land of the Chaldaeans, and dwelt in Charran: and from thence, when his father was dead, he removed him into this land, wherein ye now dwell.
5 And he gave him none inheritance in it, no, not so much as to set his foot on: yet he promised that he would give it to him for a possession, and to his seed after him, when as yet he had no child. (Acts 7:1-5 KJV)

The land promise has not been fulfilled as these men didn't receive it. The only way they can receive it is in the Resurrection.

Hebrews 11:15-16 will probably answer your question.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Butch5

Supporter
Apr 7, 2012
Homer Georgia
Visit site
✟308,497.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hebrews 11:15-16 will probably answer your question.

I think you're missing the point. The whole essence of the promise is to Abraham. The Israelites entering the land was a temporary thing. That wasn't the fulfillment of the promise to Abraham. The Jews thought they were to receive the promises to Abraham because they were the physical seed of Abraham. This is what Paul refutes in Galatians 3.

Paul is making the point that the promise was not to seeds, as of many, the physical offspring, or national Israel. But, rather the promise was made to a singular seed, which is Christ. He's saying that the land was promised to Abraham and Christ, not to national Israel.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think you're missing the point. The whole essence of the promise is to Abraham. The Israelites entering the land was a temporary thing. That wasn't the fulfillment of the promise to Abraham. The Jews thought they were to receive the promises to Abraham because they were the physical seed of Abraham. This is what Paul refutes in Galatians 3.

Paul is making the point that the promise was not to seeds, as of many, the physical offspring, or national Israel. But, rather the promise was made to a singular seed, which is Christ. He's saying that the land was promised to Abraham and Christ, not to national Israel.

I think you're missing the point, actually, friend. The apostle wasn't referring to the land of Canaan, but the eternal promises regarding salvation. I think you should re-read Galatians 3, this is clearly pointed out.

I also addressed the nature of Abraham's covenant here.

Upvote 0