• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.
  7. There has been an addition to the announcement regarding unacceptable nick names. The phrase "Let's go Brandon" actually stands for a profanity and will be seen as a violation of the profanity rule in the future.

Covenant Theology and Dispensationalism

Discussion in 'Semper Reformanda' started by Apologetic_Warrior, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Apologetic_Warrior

Apologetic_Warrior Pilgrim

+3,185
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    If you check out Gill's "The Cause of God and Truth" you'll see Gill making use of pre-Reformation sources. He was not "limited" by the Reformation, nor limited his studies to Protestants alone as you suggest.

2. Iosias

Iosias Senior Contributor

+216
    Christian Seeker
    Private
    I have read it; my point is that he had all the information available to him at that time, not what we have discovered since the seventeen hundreds, which is quite a bit.

His Exposition of the Song of Solomon allegorises, his commentary on Genesis 1-2 has no knowledge of ANE parallels and so on and so forth.

Modern scholarship on the development of Hebrew has shown Gill's The Antiquity of the Hebrew Language Letters to be wrong. There is overwhelming evidence from archaeology, paleography, and comparative linguistics that early texts were unpointed.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  3. JM

JM Particular Baptist Supporter

+3,095
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    CA-Others
    Exactly. Most modern minds think in tweets and blogs, believing more info equals better info.

Gill was different even for his time, he had depth AND breadth, he knew his sources inside and out.

4. AmericanSamurai

AmericanSamurai the super dry member

+163
    Non-Denom
    Single
    I want to buy John Gerstner's book, Wrongly Dividing The Word of Truth.

5. AmericanSamurai

AmericanSamurai the super dry member

+163
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Me too. Most of what passes for 'modern scholarship' these days is liberal bent, emergent church type deconstructionism.

6. JM

+3,095
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    CA-Others
    Gerstner is very combative in his approach and at the time, I was a Dispensationalist, I was really turned off by his attitude toward the Dispensationalist hermeneutic. It was only latter did I realize why he was so upset.

j

7. JM

+3,095
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    CA-Others
  8. LittleLambofJesus

LittleLambofJesus Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git! Supporter

+28,503
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    Then why is Christianity in such a state of confusion over the Bible?

[​IMG]

9. Iosias

+216
    Christian Seeker
    Private
    Good question and the answer can become very complex; put simply, it depends on what the individual Christian determines is their authority - Scripture, Tradition, or Reason. Generally speaking, the fault lines are those who have Scripture alone as their only authority, those who have both Scripture and Tradition as their only authorities, and those who accept all three. In reality, every Christian uses all three, but the question is whether they are conscious of that. Hope that helps. :)

10. JM

+3,095
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    CA-Others
    Great question with a simple answer:

Sin is the reason people deny the Gospel and create false churches. These false churches make it seem as if the gates of hell have prevailed against the church. Sin will never conqueror true belief because true belief in the saving work of Christ is a gift of God. The church is a collection of unworthy people, the assembly of sinners, called together to worship the King. We will always be sinners...sinners saved by grace through faith. We will always have trouble, sorrow and confusion in this world. It doesn't matter what authority you choose. If you are a Christian you will always be a sinner saved by grace and not by picking the right church.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  11. Iosias

+216
    Christian Seeker
    Private
  12. JM

+3,095
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    CA-Others
    The Particular / Reformed Baptist Confession, 1689 reads:

26:3 The purest churches under heaven are subject to mixture and error; and some have so degenerated as to become no churches of Christ, but synagogues of Satan; nevertheless Christ always hath had, and ever shall have a kingdom in this world, to the end thereof, of such as believe in him, and make profession of his name.

( 1 Corinthians 5; Revelation 2; Revelation 3; Revelation 18:2; 2 Thessalonians 2:11, 12; Matthew 16:18; Psalms 72:17; Psalm 102:28; Revelation 12:17 )

13. Iosias

+216
    Christian Seeker
    Private

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  14. JM

+3,095
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    CA-Others
    Mr. (staff edit),

I quoted the 1689 because it is a standard among Reformed Baptists. On this forum and in their associations these standards are important to prevent unorthodox views from being promoted or discussed. (see Why Wright is not Reformed) What I believe just happens to be clearly stated by the 1689. This does not mean I use the Reformed standards in the same manner as ARBCA or as a tradition I am appealing to.

You fail to recognize the difference. ^_^

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2013