May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This thread's subject:

I would like for those who subscribe to either or both, explain/comment what those are and the difference between the two - if there is one?

Also why there appears to be such a battle going on between Covenant and New Covenant theology vs dispensationalsim?

Probably 95% of the churches in the U.S. interpret the Bible through the lens of Reformed Covenant Theology, which is about 400 years old, or the Two Peoples of God doctrine of modern Dispensational Theology, which is less than 200 years old.

The general principles of Reformed Covenant Theology can be found in the Westminster Confession of Faith.
The general principles of Dispensational Theology can be found in the notes of the Scofield Reference Bible.

Both systems of interpretation fall apart in Galatians chapters 3, and 4.

Paul said the the promise made to Abraham was made to the one seed, instead of the many seeds in Galatians 3:16.
This verse kills the Two Peoples of God doctrine of Dispensational Theology.

Paul reveals the temporary nature of the Sinai Covenant in the verses that follow Galatians 3:16.
Paul said the law was "added" 430 years "after" the promise made to Abraham "until" the seed (Christ) could come to whom the promise was made.
In Galatians 4:24-31 Paul compelled the Galatian believers to "cast out" the Sinai Covenant of "bondage".
These passages kill Reformed Covenant Theology, which claims the ten commandments were given to Adam in the garden, and also claims the eternal nature of the 4th commandment.

The following is the best message I have found on the New Covenant.

The New Covenant: Bob George

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Probably 95% of the churches in the U.S. interpret the Bible through the lens of Reformed Covenant Theology, which is about 400 years old, or the Two Peoples of God doctrine of modern Dispensational Theology, which is less than 200 years old.
You're referring to protestant churches....right? Because Catholic and Orthodox theology do not fall into those categories....and they're more than 5% of American churches.

Reactions: Gregorikos
Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Covenantal theology is distinctive in its emphasis of the following tenets:

• The biblical covenants (Edenic, Adamic, Noahite, Abrahamic, Mosaic, Davidic, and New or Messianic) are taken to be the chief structural framework for salvation history.
  • The Abrahamic covenant (as distinct from the Mosaic) is taken to be the central Old Testament covenant that is fulfilled in the New Testament, in accordance with Pauline theology (Galatians 3:6-29).
  • The Old and New Testaments are taken to be integrally related through the sequence of covenants, with prophetic fulfillment understood chiefly in terms of covenantal correspondence.
  • Scripture is interpreted via the four senses, with an emphasis on describing the correspondence between covenants via the allegorical sense.
  • Jesus' prophecy in the Olivet Discourse is understood to have been fulfilled by the destruction of the Jerusalem Temple in 70 AD.
  • Old Testament prophecy of a restoration of Israel in which Jews and Gentiles are united is understood to have been fulfilled in the Church, cf. Catechism of the Catholic Church 781 drawing on Lumen Gentium 9.
  • Jesus is understood to have inaugurated the Kingdom of God, which advances throughout history from the Ascension to the Last Judgment, cf. Catechism of the Catholic Church 669-670.
  • The advance of the Kingdom of God throughout history is interpreted in terms of the Augustinian concepts of the City of God and the City of Man.
  • From wiki "Covenantal theology (Catholic Church) - Wikipedia" Covenantal theology (Catholic Church) - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
A place of agreement that I see between Traditional Covenant Theology and New Covenant Theology is this:

Quote from link:

The Mosaic Law was a form of divine pedagogy designed to "fall away once the pedagogical goal has been achieved,"6 and the goal of the Law is none other than Christ himself (cf. Rom. 10:4).
"Library : The Master Key: Pope Benedict XVI's Theology of Covenant | Catholic Culture" Library : The Master Key: Pope Benedict XVI's Theology of Covenant

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
This is from the article about the traditional Covenant Theology of the Catholics and Orthodox:

Jesus' prophecy in the Olivet Discourse is understood to have been fulfilled by the destruction of the Jerusalem Temple in 70 AD.

......and according to this article linked below, that aligns with New Covenant Theology and Protestant Reformed Covenant theology:

Quoting linked article:The destruction of the temple in AD 70 is not what ended the Old Covenant. It had by then already ended. But because the majority of the Jews did not recognize the ending, they continued performing the Old Covenant rituals in the temple for forty years after Christ fulfilled the Old Covenant. During this forty years, God tried Israel as He tried their forebears for forty years in the wilderness centuries before. He used His servants to preach the Gospel to them. Some heard but most did not believe because of their hardened hearts. Before AD 70, the writer of Hebrews wrote this to the Jews:

Therefore, even as the Holy Spirit says, “Today if you will hear his voice, don’t harden your hearts, as in the provocation, like as in the day of the trial in the wilderness, where your fathers tested me by proving me, and saw my works for forty years. Therefore I was displeased with that generation, and said, ‘They always err in their heart, but they didn’t know my ways;’ as I swore in my wrath, ‘They will not enter into my rest.'”… To whom did he swear that they wouldn’t enter into his rest, but to those who were disobedient? We see that they were not able to enter in because of unbelief.
Hebrews 3:7-11, 18-19

And as we saw earlier, the writer of Hebrews also wrote to the Jews that the Old Covenant had grown old and was near to vanishing away. These were some of the many warnings and pleadings God gave to Israel. Yet, except for relatively few people, Israel continued with the temple service acting out the patterns that had outlived their usefulness and been replaced by the reality. And they died like their ancient fathers in the wilderness in unbelief. New Covenant Theology--When Did the Old Covenant End and the New Covenant Begin? | Page 2 of 2 | Word of His Grace

• Agree
Reactions: klutedavid
Upvote 0

Douggg

anytime rapture, non-dispensationalist, futurist
May 28, 2009
Non-dispensationalist
✟359,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

The general principles of Reformed Covenant Theology can be found in the Westminster Confession of Faith.
The general principles of Dispensational Theology can be found in the notes of the Scofield Reference Bible.

Both systems of interpretation fall apart in Galatians chapters 3, and 4.

Paul said the the promise made to Abraham was made to the one seed, instead of the many seeds in Galatians 3:16.
This verse kills the Two Peoples of God doctrine of Dispensational Theology.

Paul reveals the temporary nature of the Sinai Covenant in the verses that follow Galatians 3:16.
Paul said the law was "added" 430 years "after" the promise made to Abraham "until" the seed (Christ) could come to whom the promise was made.
In Galatians 4:24-31 Paul compelled the Galatian believers to "cast out" the Sinai Covenant of "bondage".
These passages kill Reformed Covenant Theology, which claims the ten commandments were given to Adam in the garden, and also claims the eternal nature of the 4th commandment.

The following is the best message I have found on the New Covenant.

The New Covenant: Bob George

Bab2, in a few words can you highlight the differences be Covenant theology and New Covenant theology?

What I thinking may be the difference is that New Covenant theology presumes
that Christians had a old covenant with God (the Mt Sinai), while Covenant theology does not describe itself on that presumption.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
This thread's subject:

I would like for those who subscribe to either or both, explain/comment what those are and the difference between the two - if there is one?

Also why there appears to be such a battle going on between Covenant and New Covenant theology vs dispensationalsim?
I would give New Covenant theology a tick for putting Jesus front and center. They got that much right.

I mark them down for the following.

The Law of God
The two greatest commandments – love of God and neighbor (Matt. 22:36-40) – constitute God’s absolute or innate law , which is righteous, unchanging, and instinctively known by man (Rom. 2:14-15) created in God’s image (Gen. 1:27), and of which each system of covenantal law is a temporary, historical outworking (Heb. 7:12) in accordance with God’s eternal purpose (Eph. 1:11; 3:11; 2 Tim. 1:9). (wikipedia)

The Law of Moses
The covenantal outworking of God’s absolute law under the Old Covenant – the exhaustive, indivisible (Jas. 2:10; Gal. 5:3) legal code, summed up in the Ten Commandments (Exod. 34:28), covenantally binding upon the nation of Israel (Exod. 19:5-6; 24:3), temporary in its duration (Heb. 7:11-12; Col. 2:14), and fulfilled in Jesus Christ (Rom. 10:4; Matt. 5:17-18; Col. 2:16-17).

The reason I mark them down is that the two greatest commandments, love God and neighbor, are in the law of Moses. Hence, one cannot abrogate the law of Moses and it's commandments, while supporting other commandments from the law of Moses. That is a paradox.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think scripture supports covenant theology or especially Dispensationalism. It is this simple. Jeremiah says the New Covenant will replace the Old Covenant (AKA the Ten Commandments). We are under the New Covenant that operates by love. Jesus taught how love would keep the Ten Commandments in the Sermon on the Mount. And this formed the backbone of Christian ethics in the New Covenant. OT = law aimed at the wicked. NC = love using the law as a moral guide.

OT Law = don't steal. NC love = give. OT Law do not murder. NC = love enemies. and so on. That is, do the opposite of what the law forbade.

Both Dispensationalism and Covenant Theology are human frameworks placed over scripture that do not come from scripture. Neither originates there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟905,241.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This thread's subject:

It is important to note that all three are man made theological systems trying to control God's narrative for humanity. In other words a "tidy" way explain man's relationship with God. So with anything that is derived from man it can most likely contain error. This is what causes division. If we can approach our relationship with our Creator with no theological lens and the innocence of a child, we will then begin to understand the pure simplicity of the Gospel. Be blessed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The reason I mark them down is that the two greatest commandments, love God and neighbor, are in the law of Moses. Hence, one cannot abrogate the law of Moses and it's commandments, while supporting other commandments from the law of Moses. That is a paradox.

In Matthew chapter 5 Christ contrasts the Old Covenant to the New Covenant.
He quotes from the Old Covenant and then adds "But I say...".

Mat 5:27 "You have heard that it was said to those of old, 'YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT ADULTERY.'
Mat 5:28 But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

The Apostle Paul contrasts the Old Covenant and the New Covenant below.

2Co 3:6 who also made us sufficient as ministers of the new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

2Co 3:7 But if the ministry of death, written and engraved on stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of the glory of his countenance, which glory was passing away,
2Co 3:8 how will the ministry of the Spirit not be more glorious?

Below we find that the New Covenant has not "abrogated" the Old Covenant, but has instead made it "obsolete".

Heb 8:6 But now He has obtained a more excellent ministry, inasmuch as He is also Mediator of a better covenant, which was established on better promises.
Heb 8:7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then no place would have been sought for a second.
Heb 8:8 Because finding fault with them, He says: "BEHOLD, THE DAYS ARE COMING, SAYS THE LORD, WHEN I WILL MAKE A NEW COVENANT WITH THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL AND WITH THE HOUSE OF JUDAH—
Heb 8:9 NOT ACCORDING TO THE COVENANT THAT I MADE WITH THEIR FATHERS IN THE DAY WHEN I TOOK THEM BY THE HAND TO LEAD THEM OUT OF THE LAND OF EGYPT; BECAUSE THEY DID NOT CONTINUE IN MY COVENANT, AND I DISREGARDED THEM, SAYS THE LORD.
Heb 8:10 FOR THIS IS THE COVENANT THAT I WILL MAKE WITH THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL AFTER THOSE DAYS, SAYS THE LORD: I WILL PUT MY LAWS IN THEIR MIND AND WRITE THEM ON THEIR HEARTS; AND I WILL BE THEIR GOD, AND THEY SHALL BE MY PEOPLE.
Heb 8:11 NONE OF THEM SHALL TEACH HIS NEIGHBOR, AND NONE HIS BROTHER, SAYING, 'KNOW THE LORD,' FOR ALL SHALL KNOW ME, FROM THE LEAST OF THEM TO THE GREATEST OF THEM.
Heb 8:12 FOR I WILL BE MERCIFUL TO THEIR UNRIGHTEOUSNESS, AND THEIR SINS AND THEIR LAWLESS DEEDS I WILL REMEMBER NO MORE."
Heb 8:13 In that He says, "A NEW COVENANT," He has made the first obsolete. Now what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.

A horse can still be used as a mode of transportation.
However, it is now considered "obsolete" when compared to a modern automobile.

Nobody I know from the New Covenant perspective believes it is now alright to lie, kill, commit adultery, etc.
We are not without law.

Based on the passages above, nobody alive today has ever broken the 4th commandment.
For those in the New Covenant, Christ is our Sabbath rest every day of the week, as confirmed by Colossians 2:16-17.

There is no "paradox" if we accept the text at face value.

=========================================

Jer_31:31 "Behold, the days are coming, says the LORD, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah—

Mat_26:28 For this is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

Mar_14:24 And He said to them, "This is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many.

Luk_22:20 Likewise He also took the cup after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in My blood, which is shed for you.

1Co_11:25 In the same manner He also took the cup after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in My blood. This do, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me."

2Co_3:6 who also made us sufficient as ministers of the new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

Heb_8:8 Because finding fault with them, He says: "BEHOLD, THE DAYS ARE COMING, SAYS THE LORD, WHEN I WILL MAKE A NEW COVENANT WITH THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL AND WITH THE HOUSE OF JUDAH—

Heb_8:13 In that He says, "A NEW COVENANT," He has made the first obsolete. Now what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.

Heb_9:15 And for this reason He is the Mediator of the new covenant, by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions under the first covenant, that those who are called may receive the promise of the eternal inheritance.

Heb_12:24 to Jesus the Mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling that speaks better things than that of Abel.

If the New Covenant perspective is not correct, the scripture found above would make no sense.

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,441.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think scripture supports covenant theology or especially Dispensationalism. It is this simple. Jeremiah says the New Covenant will replace the Old Covenant (AKA the Ten Commandments). We are under the New Covenant that operates by love. Jesus taught how love would keep the Ten Commandments in the Sermon on the Mount. And this formed the backbone of Christian ethics in the New Covenant. OT = law aimed at the wicked. NC = love using the law as a moral guide.

OT Law = don't steal. NC love = give. OT Law do not murder. NC = love enemies. and so on. That is, do the opposite of what the law forbade.

Both Dispensationalism and Covenant Theology are human frameworks placed over scripture that do not come from scripture. Neither originates there.

In the first place, Jeremiah 23 clearly stated that new covenant it is for the house of Israel and the house of Judah. This was repeated in Hebrews.

We gentiles are neither of those houses.

• Agree
Reactions: klutedavid
Upvote 0

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟221,465.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As I posted in the other thread - this is a new study for me. Prior to it being mentioned here (in your other thread) I never realized there was a separate theological framework of Covenant Theology and NEW Covenant theology (I am even beginning to see that there may even be another division between Orthodox/Catholic Covenant theology and Reformed Covenant theology). With all the divisions......this discussion may become scattered. Maybe we can focus on the one....main distinction....which, seems to me, is the general question of "what's the overall theme of the Bible? What's God's main message to humanity?"

From what I've been reading and listening to.....(and @BABerean2 , since you've studied this longer than I have, please chime in)....it seems to me the main beliefs can be summed up as:

Covenant theology: Believes that from Genesis 3 to the end of the Bible....the message is an unfolding and revealing of the covenant of grace (as opposed to the covenant of works) which reaches its zenith in Jesus' ministry....His crucifixion (the forgiveness of sin), His Resurrection, ascension to heaven, and in the destruction of the symbols/shadows that represented Him and the building up of His true temple not made with human hands.....His true dwelling place-the hearts of His people. Orthodox/Catholic covenant theology believes that all throughout the Bible we can see God bringing together His family to Him.....and to each other. It's based on spiritual community and family.

Dispensationalism: Is based on the belief that God deals with humanity differently according to different ages.

New Covenant Theology seems to be different from Covenant theology in that the distinction is made that the Bible isn't pointing just to the covenant of grace.....but to Jesus, Himself, as all is fulfilled in Him.

Matthew 5:17 ~ Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the Prophets. I have not come to abolish, but to fulfill.
It seems to me that distinction is unnecessary and maybe confusing. I also believe that Jesus fulfilled the Law and what the prophets spoke of......I just don't believe that only one person of the Trinity ought to be singled out. Our Lord is a Triune God.....and God's covenant within Him is also important. The Son never acts without the Father and the Holy Spirit.
ISTM that this division between CT and NCT may have been created based on the recognized tension between the continuity of the Old Testament and the New.....and the DIScontinuity between them. It's not an either or.....it's both. There is both continuity and discontinuity between the Old Testament and New(IMO).
you have summed up what many list as the basics of both camps but I do not agree with labeling dispensationalist as claiming God had different methods for different time periods. I maintain that there are epochs of history that can be divided and a future epoch of the millennium to come but I see the only salvation in the entire Bible is faith and from Adam to the last person born only the new covenant made in Jesus blood was able to atone for our sins. You see Jesus told of Lazarus and the rich man both in the grave. Lazarus was with Abraham and in comfort and the rich man in torment. Abraham was declared righteous because he believed God and yet he was still in the grave and not in heaven. Now when Jesus paid the price for sin and noted it was finished he descended into ABraham's bosom and led free those like Abraham who were righteous because they believed God and they too are among the group seen in rev 5 who praise the Lamb (Jesus) who was worthy to take the scrolls and open the seals for He had redeemed them by His blood out of every tribe tongue kindred and nation. So you see dispensationalist believe only in one salvation through faith one redemption by the blood of Christ.
We see Jesus on every page and note the plan of God was revealed in stages. We see at the fall the 1st prophecy is the seed of the woman will crush the seed of the serpent. We then follow a genealogy from Eve to Abraham and a new twist is added. That in ABraham's seed all the world will be blessed. This prophecy has another clause that is separate that Abe's seed would become a great nation. Now the genealogy follows Eves seed and Abraham's seed. Judah is added more detail and the genealogy follows this line to David. To David are added more details and all along in the law and prophets details about the mission of this chose one continue to be added. Psalm 22 Isaiah 53 and many many many more.
In these details very specific details are laid out as things to come and are related to the kingdom coming and this is directly related to the seed of the woman crushing the head of the serpent and also to the covenant with Abraham about His seed inheriting the land of Canaan. We are futurist who hold that every detail from every age will be fullfilled literally and in Christ Jesus.

• Useful
Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The old covenant has been abolished by being superseded by the new, Paul plainly states; of this there is no question.
Matthew 5:17 ~ “Don’t misunderstand why I have come. I did not come to abolish the law of Moses or the writings of the prophets. No, I came to accomplish their purpose.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In the first place, Jeremiah 23 clearly stated that new covenant it is for the house of Israel and the house of Judah. This was repeated in Hebrews.

We gentiles are neither of those houses.

You are ignoring what happened on the Day of Pentecost when about 3,000 from "all the house of Israel" accepted the New Covenant. The Gentiles were not grafted into the Church until several years later. The Church as a whole has never been a "Gentile Church", as many today attempt to imply.

Act 2:36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.
Act 2:37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
Act 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Act 2:39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
Act 2:40 And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.
Act 2:41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

We also have Paul using the Olive Tree as a symbol of the New Covenant Church made up of faithful Israelites, and faithful Gentiles grafted together into the same tree in Romans chapter 11.

What did Paul say below about genealogies?

1Ti_1:4 Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do.

Tit_3:9 But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

claninja

Jan 8, 2017
indiana
✟298,336.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

While I do like the framework set up by "covenant theology", and its divisions of the law of Moses into moral, civil, and ceremonial, I do agree that the moral law is eternally binding for the people of God. Not for salvation, for that is found in Christ alone, but for justifying our faith. Christians are called to love God and love our neighbor, not for earthly rewards as permitted by the old covenant, for that was fulfilled in Christ (and imputed to us romans 8) and is now obsolete and vanished away, but for justifying our faith as commanded by Christ. We are now free to love God and our neighbor unlegalistically as a result of our Freedom under the new covenant.

James 2:14-17 What good is it, my brothers, if someone claims to have faith, but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you tells him, “Go in peace; stay warm and well fed,” but does not provide for his physical needs, what good is that? So too, faith by itself, if it does not result in action, is dead.

However, I do agree with you here about the 4th commandment. That would be because I don't believe the Sabbath is a moral law, but more of a ceremonial law.

From chapter 7 of the Westminster Confession of Faith regarding the Sabbath, that the appointment day is a perpetual commandment binding for all men in all ages:

"As it is the law of nature, that, in general, a due proportion of time be set apart for the worship of God;so, in His Word, by a positive, moral, and perpetual commandment binding all men in all ages, He has
particularly appointed one day in seven, for a Sabbath, to be kept holy unto him:437 which, from the
beginning of the world to the resurrection of Christ, was the last day of the week: and, from the resurrection of Christ, was changed into the first day of the week,438 which, in Scripture, is called the Lord's Day,439 and is to be continued to the end of the world, as the Christian Sabbath.440

VIII. This Sabbath is then kept holy unto the Lord, when men, after a due preparing of their hearts, and
ordering of their common affairs beforehand, do not only observe an holy rest, all the day, from their own
works, words, and thoughts about their worldly employments and recreations,441 but also are taken up, the whole time, in the public and private exercises of His worship, and in the duties of necessity and mercy"

I would absolutely disagree with that requirement of Sabbath day worship and rest as stated in the confession. It seems to me that covenant theology groups the Sabbath into the moral laws. However, the NT does NOT do that. Per Paul we are not required to set a specific day aside under the new covenant, for that specific day was just shadow found fulfilled in Christ. Paul groups the Sabbath along with the feasts, never with moral issues.

Colossians 2:16 Therefore let no one judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a feast, a New Moon, or a Sabbath. These are a shadow of the things to come, but the body that casts it belongs to Christ

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I do agree that the moral law is eternally binding for the people of God. Not for salvation, for that is found in Christ alone, but for justifying our faith. Christians are called to love God and love our neighbor, not for earthly rewards as permitted by the old covenant, for that was fulfilled in Christ (and imputed to us romans 8) and is now obsolete and vanished away, but for justifying our faith as commanded by Christ. We are now free to love God and our neighbor unlegalistically as a result of our Freedom under the new covenant.
Well said, Claninja.

Jesus said to the rich young man, “If you would enter life, keep the commandments” (Matt 19:17).

I think the key word you used was, "unlegalistically". That makes me think of the contrast between the two brothers in the parable of the Prodigal Son (the older brother resented obeying the father and considered it a burden, but the Prodigal son on his return was pleased to be near his father and was grateful for whatever the Father gifted him with).

I appreciate how this is expressed here:
Our Lord invites us to discover the Ten Commandments anew. He lived them perfectly and revealed their full meaning. Even more, He now gives us His Holy Spirit so that we can keep the commandments, despite our fallen nature. He also has left us the Sacrament of Reconciliation, so that He can pour out His abundant mercy upon us whenever we fail to live according to the commandments.

He interpreted the Ten Commandments in light of the twofold commandment of love: Love God with all your heart, soul, and mind, and love your neighbor as yourself (Matt 22:36–40). "The Pursuit of Happiness and the Ten Commandments | St. Paul Center" The Pursuit of Happiness and the Ten Commandments | St. Paul Center

Reactions: claninja
Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Quoting from linked article:
Jesus came not to abolish the Old Testament law but to fulfill it (see Matthew 5:17)

And in today’s Gospel, He reveals that love – of God and of neighbor – is the fulfillment of the whole of the law (see Romans 13:8-10).

Devout Israelites were to keep all 613 commands found in the Bible’s first five books. Jesus says today that all these, and all the teachings of the prophets, can be summarized by two verses of this law (see Deuteronomy 6:5; Leviticus 19:18).

Love is the hinge that binds the two tablets of the law. For we can’t love God, whom we can’t see, if we don’t love our neighbor, whom we can (see 1 John 4:20-22).

But this love we are called to is far more than simple affection or warm sentiment. We must give ourselves totally to God – loving with our whole beings, with all our heart, soul and mind. Our love for our neighbor must express itself in concrete actions, such as those set out in today’s First Reading.

We love because He first loved us (see 1 John 4:19). ~ "Love Commanded: Scott Hahn Reflects on the Thirtieth Sunday in Ordinary Time | St. Paul Center" Love Commanded: Scott Hahn Reflects on the Thirtieth Sunday in Ordinary Time | St. Paul Center

• Agree
Reactions: claninja
Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus said to the rich young man, “If you would enter life, keep the commandments” (Matt 19:17).

Did the rich young man tell the truth when he said he had always kept the commandments?

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
While I do like the framework set up by "covenant theology", and its divisions of the law of Moses into moral, civil, and ceremonial, I do agree that the moral law is eternally binding for the people of God. Not for salvation, for that is found in Christ alone, but for justifying our faith. Christians are called to love God and love our neighbor, not for earthly rewards as permitted by the old covenant, for that was fulfilled in Christ (and imputed to us romans 8) and is now obsolete and vanished away, but for justifying our faith as commanded by Christ. We are now free to love God and our neighbor unlegalistically as a result of our Freedom under the new covenant.

James 2:14-17 What good is it, my brothers, if someone claims to have faith, but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you tells him, “Go in peace; stay warm and well fed,” but does not provide for his physical needs, what good is that? So too, faith by itself, if it does not result in action, is dead.

However, I do agree with you here about the 4th commandment. That would be because I don't believe the Sabbath is a moral law, but more of a ceremonial law.

From chapter 7 of the Westminster Confession of Faith regarding the Sabbath, that the appointment day is a perpetual commandment binding for all men in all ages:

"As it is the law of nature, that, in general, a due proportion of time be set apart for the worship of God;so, in His Word, by a positive, moral, and perpetual commandment binding all men in all ages, He has
particularly appointed one day in seven, for a Sabbath, to be kept holy unto him:437 which, from the
beginning of the world to the resurrection of Christ, was the last day of the week: and, from the resurrection of Christ, was changed into the first day of the week,438 which, in Scripture, is called the Lord's Day,439 and is to be continued to the end of the world, as the Christian Sabbath.440

VIII. This Sabbath is then kept holy unto the Lord, when men, after a due preparing of their hearts, and
ordering of their common affairs beforehand, do not only observe an holy rest, all the day, from their own
works, words, and thoughts about their worldly employments and recreations,441 but also are taken up, the whole time, in the public and private exercises of His worship, and in the duties of necessity and mercy"

I would absolutely disagree with that requirement of Sabbath day worship and rest as stated in the confession. It seems to me that covenant theology groups the Sabbath into the moral laws. However, the NT does NOT do that. Per Paul we are not required to set a specific day aside under the new covenant, for that specific day was just shadow found fulfilled in Christ. Paul groups the Sabbath along with the feasts, never with moral issues.

Colossians 2:16 Therefore let no one judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a feast, a New Moon, or a Sabbath. These are a shadow of the things to come, but the body that casts it belongs to Christ

Paul never divided the Sinai Covenant into "the moral law", and "the ceremonial law."

In 2 Corinthians 3:6-10 Paul calls the ten commandments "the ministry of death written on stones", and contrasts them to the New Covenant.

In Hebrews 12:18 we are not come to Mount Sinai, but are come instead to the New Covenant of Mount Sion in Hebrews 12:22-24.

The only way to let the New Covenant live is by letting the Old Covenant die.

The battle between the Old Covenant and the New Covenant began in
Acts 15, and continues to the present day. During most of that time the Judaisers have won the day.

Act 15:10 Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?

Act 15:24 Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment:

Upvote 0