Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Decides 1st Amendment protects prison inmate's right to start study group.

A federal court of appeals ruled yesterday Wisconsin prison officials violated an inmate's rights because they did not treat atheism as a religion.

"Atheism is [the inmate's] religion, and the group that he wanted to start was religious in nature even though it expressly rejects a belief in a supreme being," the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals said.

The court decided the inmate's First Amendment rights were violated because the prison refused to allow him to create a study group for atheists.

Brian Fahling, senior trial attorney for the American Family Association Center for Law & Policy, called the court's ruling "a sort of Alice in Wonderland jurisprudence."

"Up is down, and atheism, the antithesis of religion, is religion," said Fahling.

The Supreme Court has said a religion need not be based on a belief in the existence of a supreme being. In the 1961 case of Torcaso v. Watkins, the court described "secular humanism" as a religion.

Fahling said today's ruling was "further evidence of the incoherence of Establishment Clause jurisprudence."

"It is difficult not to be somewhat jaundiced about our courts when they take clauses especially designed to protect religion from the state and turn them on their head by giving protective cover to a belief system, that, by every known definition other than the courts' is not a religion, while simultaneously declaring public expressions of true religious faith to be prohibited," Fahling said.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=45874

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Grizzly said:
A lack of belief is not a religion.....I can see secular humanism being described as a religion, but not atheism.
The same with Christianity isn't a religion as Judiasm is the biblical religion. Yet according to the courts and laws Christianity is a religion.
This is just debate over different definition.

Upvote 0

Grizzly

Enemy of Christmas
Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2002
Tallahassee
✟46,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Smidlee said:
The same with Christianity isn't a religion as Judiasm is the biblical religion. Yet according to the courts and laws Christianity is a religion.

I'm not sure I am following you. Are you saying that someone believes Christianity is NOT a religion?

Upvote 0

Rochir

By Grabthar's hammer ... YES.WEEK.END!
Sep 27, 2004
In your lap
Visit site
✟31,151.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Grizzly said:
A lack of belief is not a religion.....I can see secular humanism being described as a religion, but not atheism.

Atheism is not a "lack" of believes. it IS the believe that there is no God. That in itself is a believe. Whether it should qualify as a religion, I'm not so sure about, since it specifically denies any supernatural God or God-like beings.

Edit: I just looked up "religuion" in the Wikipedia, and there they also group atheism as a religious belief. Hmm, for me that is a bit strange.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tof

Sep 24, 2002
Lyon, France
Visit site
✟16,109.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
I think I will never understand religion in the USA.

Maybe it's because I'm French, but the way I understand freedom of religion, this ruling does not make sense.
To me, freedom of religion means that people are free to worship anything they want, free to change the object of their worship, and free to not worship anything.
This freedom entails that people will not be discriminated against according to their religious beliefs when looking for a job, applying for public office or founding groups or organizations.

Reading the OP, it's like freedom of religion in the USA means that religious groups enjoy freedoms other groups don't have.
If the inmate thought that he was discriminated against because of his philosophical views, he should have invoked his right to freedom of religion in order to lift this discrimination.
No need to redefine his beliefs as "religion" in order to grant him his freedom not to have a religion.

Reactions: Illuminatus
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rosenherman

Sparkly rainbow butterfly kitten
Aug 25, 2004
Right coast
✟12,972.00
Faith
Methodist
Politics
US-Republican
Smidlee said:
Huh? How can Christianity not be a religion?:confused:

Upvote 0

Grizzly

Enemy of Christmas
Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2002
Tallahassee
✟46,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
jsn112 said:
Then explain agnosticism verses atheism. Are both not a religion? Both can't qualify equally, does it?

Agnosticism is not a religion either.

Atheism = lack of belief in a supernatural being.
Agnosticism = believes that the existence of a supernatural being is ulimately unknowable.

Neither has any tenets, creeds, or affirming beliefs.

Imagine if various people around the world believed in either santa claus, the easter bunny, cupid, and paul bunyan. Let's call all these people "mythists" because they all believe in one sort of myth or another. Then let's say you had a group of people who did not believe in any of these myths. Would this person also be a mythist? I would argue no. Just as I argue that atheism nor agnosticism is a religion either.

Upvote 0

jsn112

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2004
✟5,679.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Grizzly said:
Agnosticism is not a religion either.

Atheism = lack of belief in a supernatural being.
Agnosticism = believes that the existence of a supernatural being is ulimately unknowable.

Neither has any tenets, creeds, or affirming beliefs.

Imagine if various people around the world believed in either santa claus, the easter bunny, cupid, and paul bunyan. Let's call all these people "mythists" because they all believe in one sort of myth or another. Then let's say you had a group of people who did not believe in any of these myths. Would this person also be a mythist? I would argue no. Just as I argue that atheism nor agnosticism is a religion either.
Wrong.

Agnosticism: The belief that there can be no proof either that God exists or that God does not exist.

Agnosticism qualifies more of a non-religion compares to athesism. Athesism do have a belief... but a belief that there is no God. However, agosticism doesn't have any belief. Therefore, athesism IS a religion.

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Rochir said:
Atheism is not a "lack" of believes. it IS the believe that there is no God. That in itself is a believe. Whether it should qualify as a religion, I'm not so sure about, since it specifically denies any supernatural God or God-like beings.

No Rochir. Atheism, in it's most basic state is a lack of belief in god. Most atheists define themselves as such.

From dictionary.com:

atheism: 1. Disbelief in or denial of the existence of God or gods.

disbelief: 1. doubt about the truth of something 2: a rejection of belief

I can reject a belief in god, but that does not mean I think no god exists.

Upvote 0