Couples - How do you share Faith together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy Broadley

quam pulchra es amica mea quam pulchra
Oct 14, 2004
Grimsby. England
✟535,043.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
OK, calling all you couples out there

Do you have shared devotional time together?

Is that on a daily basis or less often?

What do you do?

How long do you spend on average?

This is something that Laura and I are trying to make an established part of our day to day lives together. Each of us have always yearned to be in a situation where this is possible, and in the past have not been able to do. So it is all kinda new to us both.

Last year, before we were together as a couple, we each had a copy of a book called 15 minute devotions for couples, and we used to share devotional time together over the phone. We were never really happy with this book though. It was rather 'gushy' and too 'American' (no offence intended) for us.

Then in August when we finally got together as a couple and a family, the sheer chaos of establishing a home and other problems, meant that our devotional time together kinda died out, although we maintained our own individual time.

Then, just before Christmas, Laura found another book called One year of devotions for couples, and we have now started using that. It seems to suit us much better than the other one but we have only just started it so time will tell

I wondered then what other couples do?

Obviously, what works for one couple may well not work for another, but your suggestions and advice would be most welcome.

Not least of which being, how do you make sure you have this time together each day when there are 999 other things clamouring for your time and attention, and when you are both dead beat?

HisKid1973

Thank You Jesus For Interceding For Me
Mar 29, 2005
Chocolate Town USA
✟15,349.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
My sweetie gets up early for work so we have our separate morning devotions..In the evening we have our prayer and devotions together...Biggest thing is walking in forgivesness so when you come together they is no bitterness or hurts..I think of the delight of the Lord when couples in one accord have the presence and blessing of the Lord when they commune and pray together...It is essential that the home be a haven of peace amidst the battle zones we have to leave at the end of our work day. I am disabled at home so when my sweetie come home and is quiet, she changes and lays back in bed..That is my cue that she needs some holding ministry.I can just sense her drawing from me something that is is not of me but flowing from God through me...You can have the most excellent devotionals available but if the atmosphere isn't permeated with the love of Christ is doesn't do much benefit..shalom..Kim

Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath:

Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled;

Upvote 0

Snowbunny

Mexican Princess
Jul 24, 2006
Kiawah Island, Charleston South Carolina
Visit site
✟13,581.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
my husband was an atheist/agnostic in high school, he started to believe in God because of how much i believe in Him... now He has gone the other way and fallen for this protestant fundamentalist nonsense, but i will keep to my ways and maybe that will call him back.

he said 'i love you' to me while nobody was paying attention to us when our children were baptised. we always pray before dinner together, he comes to Mass with me, and he has started to pray with me before we go to bed...

que Dios te bendiga

Upvote 0

faerieevaH

lucky wife
Dec 27, 2003
USA
✟28,950.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We try to pray together before we go to sleep. Usually a prayer to the holy family. If we have more time a rosary. Due to exhaustion and the baby keeping one of us up longer than the other though that has slid slightly to the wayside. We still do it when we both manage to get to bed in a timely manner.

Upvote 0

Andy Broadley

Oct 14, 2004
Grimsby. England
✟535,043.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
We used that new book again toinight. Still seems a little strange for us but we are getting a lot of blessing from it

It's nice to have something to use as a focus for our devotions, followed by prayer time together.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hi Andy,

My wife is a cradle Catholic. She went through 12 years of Catholic school and used to go to daily mass when she was a child. Like a lot of young Catholics she was disillusioned with the hypocrisy she saw among the faithful and so, while she never lost her Catholic identity, she quit going to mass. When I converted from my own self-styled form of neo-paganism five years ago, she followed me back home. The cool thing here, is that we had already been happily married for nine years and now, all of the sudden, we shared a faith in Jesus Christ. After I was confirmed, on our ten year wedding anniversary, we we're sacramentaly married inside the Catholic Church. What I once thought as good, suddenly became a lot better.

And so, my wife and I now share the Catholic faith together and while we don't do a lot of formal devotionals, it's as if we constantly have each other in our hearts and in our prayers. Of course, we always go to Sunday mass together. We enjoy going to different parishes around town and when we are on the road. But really the most awesome thing we share is Holy Communion. I can't describe the peace and joy I feel after receiving Communion and then kneeling down in common prayer next to my bride. It's one of my most favorite things to do! :)

God bless,

Tad

Upvote 0

New Creation

*Practise Promiscuous Charity*
Aug 4, 2003
Visit site
✟5,331.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
My husband and I go through an ebb and flow of devotions together.
Right now because I'm just learning about Catholicism and he is rediscovering it, we are in a real time of growth together. We are reading the same books and discussing them together. We talk a lot about Jesus and Catholicism in general and EWTN is basically the only channel on tv anymore. We all pray before our meals together and we go to Mass together.

We also pray for people we know together. I'd like a more structured time but that requires me getting my sorry behind in bed at a decent hour so I can get up early with him.

Tadoflamb, I am an ex-pagan also.

Upvote 0

Andy Broadley

Oct 14, 2004
Grimsby. England
✟535,043.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
My husband and I go through an ebb and flow of devotions together.
Right now because I'm just learning about Catholicism and he is rediscovering it, we are in a real time of growth together. We are reading the same books and discussing them together. We talk a lot about Jesus and Catholicism in general and EWTN is basically the only channel on tv anymore. We all pray before our meals together and we go to Mass together.

We also pray for people we know together. I'd like a more structured time but that requires me getting my sorry behind in bed at a decent hour so I can get up early with him.

Tadoflamb, I am an ex-pagan also.

Morning are a no no for us. Many days I have to be outa the door for 5.15am, not really conjusive to good evotional time:D

So we are trying to set aside some time in the evenings

So far so good. The structured part of it, ie the book, takes but a few minutes. The rest is joint prayer time.

Playing it by ear and seeing how it develops

Upvote 0

Andy Broadley

Oct 14, 2004
Grimsby. England
✟535,043.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
Is meaning: funky, groovy, awesome, great... 'Tis an expression of all around good stuff happening.

I see. Well absolutely top ho old girl. Spiffing what?;) :D :D :D :D :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.