columbus
✟7,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A little info about myself: I have never practiced anything at all except praying to Jesus when I was very young with my mom and just recently, as of a couple months ago.

For a while, I didn't believe in much or took anything at all seriously except videogames. I was like this until my teens. It became friends, games, internet until about...23. This is when I stopped caring about the aforementioned.

During my teens I went through many phases...skater, goth, etc. But I was "normal" for the most part. Withdrawn, but "normal" as far as interests go.

Getting to the point, I've always had a fascination with the paranormal. No noteworthy experiences aside from a recent but it was NBD.

I love the darkness. Im fascinated with learning about my enemy. I've always liked reading about the occult, paranormal, etc. I feel like I should learn about this stuff because its being used against me.

I also like learning about the fibers and fabrics of life and the universe. Cosmology, Astrology, Geography (Agartha, Atlantis), different dimensions, just...anything arcane, secret, esoteric...I NEED to know about. I burn inside to know certain things...

My question(s) are why is this wrong? Why is it wrong to want to see spirits? I want to see them to be able to help others. Why is it wrong to learn about my enemy and his ways (to better protect myself)? Why is "positive" "sorcery" wrong? Why?

I want to know about Jesus Christ as well as many other things. I mean, for a while, I didnt even think that was his real name...but a fake name for a false, negative entity instead to trick me. Thankfully, my mom talked me out of that and taught me about Jesus Christ.

However...I still do not prey...I do not really know how. When I want Jesus, I just speak to him with my mind and heart (telepathy...our voices are for singing and healing...) because THAT is what feels right to ME. I do not put my palms together, should I?

I have more questions...many more but honestly, I can not stand typing on this phone. Theres tons of info about my thought process, believes, etc that are omitted.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
However...I still do not prey.
That's pray. To prey is to do what wolves and vultures do.

.I do not really know how. When I want Jesus, I just speak to him with my mind and heart (telepathy...our voices are for singing and healing...) because THAT is what feels right to ME.
Any theologian worth the title will say that what you have described IS praying. You can, of course, do it differently if you choose.

I do not put my palms together, should I?
It's not necessary, but certain postures, including kneeling or bowing your head, etc may show reverence which is appropriate when talking to God, and it may help you to focus, but it's not necessary.

I have more questions...many more but honestly, I can not stand typing on this phone. Theres tons of info about my thought process, believes, etc that are omitted.
OK. When it's convenient come right back here. All sorts of people will do their best to help you.

Reactions: 408
Upvote 0

Dec 16, 2017
columbus
✟7,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You are correct.

However...I do not mean it to be that way. I know I dont live in the world of Jesus. He is my companion and, of course as they all say, I believe he shines his light on CERTAIN works I come across.

With that said, this is all simply because I want to know the truth. The truth about our universe, earth, who we are and what we are meant for, who I am and my own purpose. I want to know the truth about so many things hidden from me. Not hidden by God but by the powers that be, if you will.

I feel entitled to have the knowledge that is kept from me. That...is all this is. My true desire is in knowledge...which is exactly what youre saying.

Ah...Ima start talking in circles if I continue. Basically, I MEAN well and have good intentions. Like I said, just wanna know the truth. We are lied to about a lot of things...so many things...

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Im fascinated with learning about my enemy. I've always liked reading about the occult, paranormal, etc. I feel like I should learn about this stuff because its being used against me.

That is both dangerous and unnecessary. Ephesians 6 shows us what our spiritual defences are.

Why is "positive" "sorcery" wrong? Why?

Short answer: because God says so. And because it's not really positive. Long answer: go and read The Lord of the Rings.

Reactions: 408
Upvote 0

Dec 16, 2017
columbus
✟7,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That is both dangerous and unnecessary. Ephesians 6 shows us what our spiritual defences are.

Short answer: because God says so. And because it's not really positive. Long answer: go and read The Lord of the Rings.
Thank you.

Ok...I am going to advise you to place a cold (or warm...whichever is more calming) cloth on your forehead because: Why?! I understand the dangers fully and completely, which is why I do not practice anything nor read ANYthing out loud, including mouthing/lipping to read along. However, I fail to understand how its unnecessary. I DO understand that the information could easily, very easily, lead one astray.
But...I am so drawn to the information. I feel like I have to know. It truly is an addiction, which is another issue all in itself entirely, yet at the same time, related. Excuse the rambling.

Upvote 0

Dec 16, 2017
columbus
✟7,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
To be more clear, I'm talking about the works of Helena Blavatasky, Olcott, Manly P. Hall, the DIARIES/notes of Crowley & Jack Parsons, etc.

I'm not sitting here reading "black magic spells" or grimoires wondering "why is this bad?", lol.
I mean, sometimes ill look stuff like that up if im in the mood for a scare but I am not inherently interested in them because I understand what they are for and they're useless to me, personally.

Also, while on the subject...I've learned there is no white or black magic. I've also never read a spell that was for anything other than malevolence. Sure, theres protection spells...because to counter the...selfish spells, if you will.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
A little info about myself: I have never practiced anything at all except praying to Jesus when I was very young with my mom and just recently, as of a couple months ago.

For a while, I didn't believe in much or took anything at all seriously except videogames. I was like this until my teens. It became friends, games, internet until about...23. This is when I stopped caring about the aforementioned.

During my teens I went through many phases...skater, goth, etc. But I was "normal" for the most part. Withdrawn, but "normal" as far as interests go.
Hi! Well, welcome to Christian Forums! Your Mom sounds like a very good influence, supportive and of holy spirit. Not every person has that kind of support, but it sure does help!
Getting to the point, I've always had a fascination with the paranormal. No noteworthy experiences aside from a recent but it was NBD.

I love the darkness. Im fascinated with learning about my enemy. I've always liked reading about the occult, paranormal, etc. I feel like I should learn about this stuff because its being used against me.
Could you explain what you mean by this, when you say it is being used against you? Do you know people who have cursed you or worked spells against you?
I also like learning about the fibers and fabrics of life and the universe. Cosmology, Astrology, Geography (Agartha, Atlantis), different dimensions, just...anything arcane, secret, esoteric...I NEED to know about. I burn inside to know certain things...

My question(s) are why is this wrong? Why is it wrong to want to see spirits? I want to see them to be able to help others. Why is it wrong to learn about my enemy and his ways (to better protect myself)? Why is "positive" "sorcery" wrong? Why?
The spirits do not have a physical body on our planet, yet they also outlive the mortal lifespan of a human. Humans come along with zero knowledge. By the time they are six or seven, they have been brainwashed and in their teenage years, they are lured away from purity and taken captive to use deceit for advantage against their own conscience (to varying degrees, of course) - consider James 1:14-15, hence the command "you must be born again".

The Holy Spirit is one of those enduring spirits, but His cause is noble. When a person has developed a sense of desire for the things that the world offers (esteem, fun, etc), and these become a temptation for them to act contrary to what The Holy Spirit can condone, they must choose to disobey The Holy Spirit and to follow their sinful desire. In order to escape the conviction in His sight according to their conscience, they must choose to deceive themselves - adjusting their moral compass from what The Holy Spirit has determined they are responsible to maintain (guilt and culpability are strongly reliant upon knowledge, in order that righteous judgement can condemn without being unfair - John 15:22, Isaiah 5:13-14).

Therefore, because these spirits are at war with The Holy Spirit for possession of our soul, in order that we become instruments for healing through love, righteousness, truth and light; or for harming through the propagation of deceit, (tempting others to follow ideas that draw them away from God's approval) - this is why they should not be trusted. Although they might convince you that their motives are good, if they are wanting you to revere them, then they are counterfeits and apostates, murderers at heart (Revelation 22:8-9, Colossians 1:16, John 10:10, John 8:44).

We pray "Yours is the kingdom, power and glory forever and ever, amen". This is because paradise cannot be sustained wherever there is someone who is at odds with The Holy One, the one who is perfected in love.

Our only hope to prevail against them, really, is to be honest and contrite, being dedicated to follow and serve God alone, thereby remaining blameless and uncompromised by sin. Because of our blamelessness and obedience, He is able to successfully plead our case against the accuser in heavenly courts, that thereby Adonai can execute justice for us in righteousness (1 John 2:1, Hebrews 7:23-26).
I want to know about Jesus Christ as well as many other things. I mean, for a while, I didnt even think that was his real name...but a fake name for a false, negative entity instead to trick me. Thankfully, my mom talked me out of that and taught me about Jesus Christ.

However...I still do not prey...I do not really know how. When I want Jesus, I just speak to him with my mind and heart (telepathy...our voices are for singing and healing...) because THAT is what feels right to ME. I do not put my palms together, should I?
It's OK to pray without being restricted by rules. God is not petty like that :) If you pray honestly, it is enough for Him to know what your heart is saying (although He already knows that), but He is also able to call that to memory, because when it comes from your heart into words (even in your mind), it proves that your heart does truly feel that way. If you pray aloud, it is because others can hear what your heart is saying and they can also agree, that there is a unity in the prayer. Also, it might stimulate their heart to add something else to that prayer. The prayers are also evidence to heavenly observers that might not be inclined to trust you (as they also have plenty of reasons to distrust the human - and they themselves are inclined to call for justice against the humans that they see as being harmful to the world).
Take your time and relax, knowing that you can trust Him. You're already on the path and following Him to the places He is leading you. Nice to meet you today, maybe we will uncover some interesting things through future discussions :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Winken
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hello, and welcome to CF!

Ok, so basically you are describing a compulsion, something which drives you, makes you feel you NEED to do something ... and that something is potentially dangerous. Yet you also feel you can "handle" it and so you really want to feed the compulsion, because it's something you really want to do ...

Is that about it?

It's classic temptation. Classic. Anytime a person feels compelled or strongly attracted to anything, it's wise to stop and examine that impulse carefully. I'd be willing to bet it's nearly always a very unhealthy impulse that should be resisted.

I think you wanted to know why it's a bad idea? God forbids such inquiry for a reason. Knowledge isn't a bad thing, by the way. Jesus Christ IS Truth, and if you seek real knowledge, wisdom, and truth, that is where to look. The rest is lies mixed with truth, making it difficult to discern which is which, and desensitizes us to those kinds of things. Familiarity can also make us more open to it, and deception is almost certain to follow. That's how this works. That's why it's a bad idea, and that's why God says not to do it. Not because He doesn't want you to have a good time. It's more like, "don't touch that hot stove, because it will burn you". God loves people, and always seeks their good.

But if you want real truth - seek the Spirit of Truth. Forget those dark deceptions.

• Winner
Reactions: Winken
Upvote 0

jax5434

Nov 27, 2007
✟31,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
When I was younger I walked a path similar to what you are speaking of. Edgar Cayce, Madam Blavatsky and some others. I read was impressed for a while by “A Course on Miracles”, Velikovsky, Frank Edwards and of course Von Daniken. I dabbled with Ouija boards and Taro Cards occasionally. I was certain there had to be something else “out there” more exciting and entertaining that the boring faith presented to me in church and on TV.

Along the way I discovered that there are very real, very powerful Spiritual entities out there. But none of them have your best interest in mind. To paraphrase John Gill (I think) those entities might elevate you to what you consider an exalted position, but that position will be very near to the gates of hell.

My path eventually led me to Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior as I think any honest search will. I was fortunate because while I thought I knew the dangers it was only after my salvation that I understood how little I had known.
Having been pretty close to where you are I am not so foolish as to believe a bunch of dowdy old Christians can dissuade you. Still I doubt any Christian on here will endorse what you are contemplating.

On he other hand I trust we all offer a prayer for your protection,

God Bless

Jax

PS: If you would like a Christian study of the supernatural a gentleman named Michael Heiser has some very good books available on Amazon

Attachments

• christian forums reply.txt
    1.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I think the last two posters have pretty good advice. But, I can relate to you in that I like to KNOW what Satan is up to. Not to join him, but to recognize his signs. I also like the paranormal shows, but I am looking for what the door was they opened to the spirit world of demons masquerading as loved ones or other dead people, rather than what they really are - demons.

Those "ghost hunters" are dabbling too close to the fire. They are using devices that can actually open the doorway further, so don't let your interests get involved hands-on. And even if those ghost hunters did rid the house of demons, if the people living there do not fill the house with the light of Jesus and become Christian followers, their house will just become worse than it was before. The Bible says "if they come back and find the house empty (no Holy Spirit) they will bring in 7 demons more powerful than the first!

Demons are very dangerous and nothing to mess with. Just remember John 10:10 says "The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I feel like I should learn about this stuff because its being used against me.

I too would like to know how it's being used against you?

My question(s) are why is this wrong? Why is it wrong to want to see spirits? I want to see them to be able to help others.

Have you seen spirits before?

Upvote 0

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Now I say to the rest of you in Thyatira, to you who do not hold to her teaching and have not learned Satan's so-called deep secrets, 'I will not impose any other burden on you. REV 2:24
These are the words of Jesus to the church of Thyatira to those who do not hold to teachings of jezebel. The gnostics taught that inorder to defeat the devil one had to enter his stronghold i.e experience evil deeply. It is clear from this verse that this should in no way be promoted.

Upvote 0
Apr 30, 2013
✟10,044.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I was much like you as a youngster....As a person who came out of occult to Jesus Christ, I would say stay far far away from it. I lost years of my life to mental illness which I believe started as a result of my involvement in the occult. It is not worth it. It is like a drug that sucks you in deeper little by little.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Run away. Do not have anything to do with the occult. Whether its astrology or UFOs or ghosts...etc. Astrology for example is fake, but somethings like ghosts I was told are just demons taking varied forms to trick people and pull them away from God by making them more interested in "paranormal" stuff. As for wanting to know things that we don't understand, well thats just how it is. As much as we think we know, I'd guess 90% of things are still impossible for us to know until we die.

I mean theres nothing wrong with say astronomy. The study of space is fascinating, granted it some of what it talkes about like the big bang, age of everything...etc is false. But none the less there is some great stuff to learn about. Such as how tiny our sun is compared to most suns. Or the fascination of what happens in a black hole (well theories at this point).

As fir praying theres no real right way to do it per say. Some put their hands together. Some get on their knees. Some pray out loud, some pray silently. Some cry. I tend to pray silently where ever I am at. I don't put my hands together or anything. I do close my eyes though so I focus on God and not whats around me.

Upvote 0