Countries that reward citizens for good behavior.

Johnboy60

Looking For Interesting News.
Dec 28, 2003
Tennessee
✟306,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
okyo, Japan: E-money for early risers
Tokyo's metropolitan government is introducing a new reward system, whereby citizens who perform good deeds will be rewarded with e-money that they can spend. The positive actions recognized include commuting early to ease the public transport rush-hour chaos, and reusing shopping bags. Each deed will garner the equivalent of US$1 (77p). In 2019, Tokyo also trialled a scheme to ease congestion on the Tozai line metro route by offering free soba noodles and tempura to commuters who traveled outside of peak times.

Countries that reward citizens for good behavior

• Winner
Reactions: vinsight4u

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟329,330.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I recall when I lived in Nebraska that Omaha ran a program where police would pull over good drivers and give them cash -- I believe it was $20. It would have been around 1990, I'm not sure how long it lasted, I believe just for one summer.

Upvote 0

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Even though many peoples' attitudes and bank accounts may indicate otherwise, we're not actually a nation of broke college students.

Situation is not that far away for many people though. 2017 survey had bit under 80% of people living from paycheck to paycheck.

One nice recession and there will be plenty of people who hope they had saved some noodle money.

Living Paycheck to Paycheck is a Way of Life for Majority of U.S. Workers, According to New CareerBuilder Survey - Aug 24, 2017

Also the government gets the money from taxing all the citizens so why not benefit from these kind of schemes if it is practical for you since you are paying for them anyway.

If it also makes your neighbour not to choke to death in overcrowded train that is a decided plus.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Plus I don't think noodles would be enough to get people to start acting right. Even though many peoples' attitudes and bank accounts may indicate otherwise, we're not actually a nation of broke college students.

You forget that this is Tokyo.

The city is one of the most expensive cities in the world, so much so that nowadays many people are even refusing to marry because they feel it too expensive to do so, let alone have any children. This is a major part of why Japan's birth rate is critically low, and why many public and private organizations are having to take drastic steps to encourage people to have more children (up to and including government financial incentives per child).

Some extra money in one's pocket and some extra food in one's belly would be quite the incentive for many.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,169.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
You too are a fun person, Ironhold.

News & Current Events is a fun place.

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: BigDaddy4
Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
You too are a fun person, Ironhold.

News & Current Events is a fun place.

At least one major commuter rail depot has installed an on-site daycare to reflect the fact that so many families in Japan are dual-income households. The parents drop their kids off at the daycare as they take the train to work, and then pick their kids up after they take the train back home. That's the kind of thing that various private and public groups are having to do in order to convince adults that yes, they can have children and work them into their daily life.

I think at one point the government was offering thousands of dollars in financial assistance via tax breaks to families for each child they had as a desperate attempt to boost birth rates.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums