• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Counseling?

Hopes

Jun 11, 2013
✟25,310.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well I talked to a disability attorney because there is no way I can hold a job with going manic and being delusional for a month or two at a time. It seems employers frown upon that sort of thing. Also because my health isn't the greatest. Anyway she said I am doing everything right except that I should be going to counseling. So it looks like I have to go...sigh.

I really don't want to go, I have never had a good experience with a councilor and this is going to be horrible and I know it. I don't really know of anything I want to talk to a councilor about or what I could possibly gain from this, it just seems so pointless.

What do you gain from counseling? Is there anything I can actually get out of this? I don't see how this will make me any less manic when I have a manic episode or any less depressed either. I feel like this is going to be a huge waste of time and money.

gym_class_hero

Dec 31, 2016
state of grace
✟122,069.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have a slight case of bipolarism. I don't take meds or need to but speaking to a Christian counselor gave me insight on my condition that was helpful. I guess the key is finding a good counselor. Mine was a Baptist preacher but he looked at it from all directions, my sleep, my diet, my faith. Hope and pray you find a good one. God bless.

Upvote 0

Hopes

Jun 11, 2013
✟25,310.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks. I hope I get a good one too. I don't think I am going to go for a christian councilor this time. I had one of them for a marriage councilor and that did not go well. It was very upsetting to me and pretty much made me swear off counseling ever again. I don't seem to have the luck when it comes to this so I am hoping this time it goes ok.

As far as sleep and diet, I am sleeping now, probably too much, because I am depressed and I pretty much stay that way most of the time except for manic episodes. When manic, forget it, I am not going to be able to sleep much no matter what I do. Even with sleeping pills I would be lucky to get a few hours a night. As for diet, I am a diabetic and on insulin so my diet is pretty restricted.

I guess I was just wondering what other people get out of this? If I am going to have to go, I may as well get something out of it. The things I don't want is to drag out my entire lousy childhood and get all upset about all of that again. It makes me cry to think about having to do that so I am going to try to avoid talking about it.

I just don't know if I can deal with another christian councilor. That last one, man, I got to where I half way trusted her and then she wanted to do a deliverance on me. I was so upset, angry, I left and never went back and we just talked over our marriage problems on our own. It made me feel like she took my husbands side and blamed me for everything, that is, me and my supposed demon. If you only knew why we were there in the first place you would see why this was as hurtful as it was. It wasn't my fault, it really wasn't and my husband will tell you the same.

Upvote 0

Hopes

Jun 11, 2013
✟25,310.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hang in there I am praying for you. I have bipolar and do not go to counseling. Although I have thought about it, I just can't afford it right now, so I hope I can avoid getting sick again. I feel stable right now and hopefully, I won't have any bumps in the road.

I hope you don't get sick again, I hope that for both of us. I can't really afford it either but it seems I don't have a choice now. Like now, I have to get my car fixed or its not going to be running much longer. If it quits, my husband cant go to work. My house is falling apart daily, it needs lots of repairs and I am still trying to pay off debts we owe from my oldest son trying to live out on his own and us having to partially support him, the list goes on and on.

I am hoping my insurance will cover at least some of this but I wouldn't count on it. It seems like every year they charge more and more and cover less and less.

Upvote 0

Hopes

Jun 11, 2013
✟25,310.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hang in there Hopes. Are there any new updates on how things are going? Me, I am still the same. I feel normal and I hope to get a full time job with benefits in the near future.

Sincerely,

Sam
I decided not to go. I just cant afford this and I am even going to tell all my Dr's that they need to start stretching out my appointments to at least 6 months between them as I cant afford them either. I can barely afford all of my meds and its a burden on my family to afford them all. Last payday I couldn't afford one of them so I just didn't get it. All the copays and costs for the meds are just too much right now, no way I can throw in counseling too.

It really does not matter, I am not even going to try anymore for disability. I am just going to concentrate on growing gardens and grow as much food as possible to help out my family. I saw a book where these people grew 2000 lbs of food on 1/4 an acre. I have almost 4 acres so I should be able to do at least that well if not better (I hope). I am going to do square foot gardening so there isn't all the weeds which took over every time I tried to grow a garden before.

The good thing about this plan is if I do go manic, my husband can water the garden and I don't have to be around other people like at a job and drive up my anxiety. I would just go manic and get fired anyway. This way I can contribute something at least even if its not really any kind of income. Food is expensive so in a way this will help us out I think. Its also low stress which I need.

Upvote 0

mothcorrupteth

Old Whig Monarchist, Classically Realpolitik
Jun 3, 2017
Huntsville, AL
✟42,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I know there are many Christians who may have reservations about this, but I have benefited a lot from mindfulness meditation and Acceptance & Commitment Therapy (ACT)... And I benefited even more when I started thinking of my meditation in terms of contemplative prayer.

The basic idea of mindfulness and ACT is that we become trapped by our own thoughts, and if we could learn to kind of "retune" our thoughts by getting in touch with the present moment, they wouldn't have to trap us.

Think about it like this. In my line of work, I've helped teach social skills to children with autism. And one the biggest challenges they ever have to overcome is a parent who's told them that they have autism. Why? Because sooner than later, that becomes the child's self-explanation for why he can't change. "I go into Imagination World instead of paying attention to my schoolwork because I have autism." I've actually heard 6-year-olds say that. But do you see how limiting that is? I'm not trying to deny that there's probably something in the genes that causes autism, but we know from 21st century neuroscience that the brain CAN change in spite of its programming, if it has the right experiences. That kid is getting trapped in his own thoughts instead of asking himself, "What can I try to do better?"

Similarly, it's easy with bipolar to say, "I guess I'm stuck with this. I have bipolar, after all." Or to say, "I'm depressed, and I have no meds that can help with it. I guess I'm just going to stay depressed forever." Or, "I don't think I can handle the stress of being around other people." Or, "This is AMAZING! I am AWESOME! They're all telling me I'm manic, but I know better!" Each one of those thoughts can trap us, in its own way. But part of keeping them from trapping us is realizing that they're just thoughts, and thoughts don't have to mean anything.

I mean, how often do you get a song or a commercial jingle stuck in your head? You don't try to focus on it, and in fact, you want to get rid of it. Sometimes our thoughts our like that. Either they're manic and won't seem to stop, or they're depressive and won't seem to stop, or they're stressed and won't seem to stop. And if we get into a mode of being where we take all our thoughts seriously, it can be pretty stressful that they won't stop. So we do something very silly. We get depressed over the fact that we're depressed, or stressed over the fact that we're stressed. And so because we're worried about our thoughts, we just push ourselves further and further into an emotional state where those thoughts are just going to keep coming, bigger and stronger.

But that song stuck in your head? It may be annoying, but it doesn't mean anything. You're not voluntarily setting the song to play, and most of the time you're not even thinking about the lyrics. The thoughts that you can't stop are like that, too. They don't mean anything. And the sooner you believe that and keep it in mind when the going gets tough, the sooner you are to winning half the battle.

But the other half, I've found, is to bear in mind that the world is sacramental. God created this universe to bear testament to His glory. So to take time out of your day to say to yourself, "Okay, if unwanted thoughts come to me, that's okay. They don't have to mean anything to me. But in the meantime, I'm going to try to focus in on the present moment. What am I seeing and hearing and smelling and feeling right now?" See, there are admittedly parts of our day where what we feel in the present moment is unpleasant. But you know what? Ninety-odd percent of the day, I for one have a roof over my head, food in my stomach, and nobody holding me at gunpoint. Ninety-odd percent of the day, what's going on around me is pretty good and pretty calm. So if I can slow myself down enough to be critical of my own thought process and pay attention to the present moment, I usually feel better for it and pull myself out of extreme moods.

I've been long-winded. But I encourage you to look into the stuff I'm talking about. I've had the benefit of meds, but they don't do the whole trick. And in fact, what's helped me get back on my feet is mindfulness and contemplative prayer. It may take some time before it really clicks with you and starts to work, but it does work.

Upvote 0

SamuelTP1977

May 22, 2015
✟8,282.00
Faith
Unitarian
I decided not to go. I just cant afford this and I am even going to tell all my Dr's that they need to start stretching out my appointments to at least 6 months between them as I cant afford them either. I can barely afford all of my meds and its a burden on my family to afford them all. Last payday I couldn't afford one of them so I just didn't get it. All the copays and costs for the meds are just too much right now, no way I can throw in counseling too.

It really does not matter, I am not even going to try anymore for disability. I am just going to concentrate on growing gardens and grow as much food as possible to help out my family. I saw a book where these people grew 2000 lbs of food on 1/4 an acre. I have almost 4 acres so I should be able to do at least that well if not better (I hope). I am going to do square foot gardening so there isn't all the weeds which took over every time I tried to grow a garden before.

The good thing about this plan is if I do go manic, my husband can water the garden and I don't have to be around other people like at a job and drive up my anxiety. I would just go manic and get fired anyway. This way I can contribute something at least even if its not really any kind of income. Food is expensive so in a way this will help us out I think. Its also low stress which I need.

Maybe you could sell some of the food that you grow? You could use the money to buy medicine. I have been praying for you so I am glad you are not manic and are coping with mental illness and poverty. It really is a shame that public mental health in america is nothing to brag about at all.

The last time I got sick, I could not sleep for a month and a half, and I did not feel tired. I use disability, medicare and medicaid to help pay for my treatment. I have master's degree and a history of hospitalizations so that made it a lot easier to get benefits, and they have been a big help.

I am still praying for you, but it does sound like you are hanging in there, don't get sick, it sucks.

Sincerely,

Sam

Upvote 0