Could Trump become the most important Christian President....

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I was always leery because he never went to church but the biggest thing is when he messed up on Bible citations. Like got them suppoerrrr wrong.
You mean like referring to "second" as "two?"

Yeh, "supoerrrrr" all right.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Only someone that had never used the Bible for anything but a paper weight makes that error.
Fairly good as a joke, but meaningless as a commentary on President Trump who, contrary to what was said earlier, does attend church services, and who has done more than any other president in our lifetimes to protect freedom of religion and to make being a religious person something to respect.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Fairly good as a joke, but meaningless as a commentary on President Trump who, contrary to what was said earlier, does attend church services, and who has done more than any other president in our lifetimes to protect freedom of religion and to make being a religious person something to respect.
On protecting freedom of religion, it was under greater attack than any time in our country's recent history. So holding the line a bit there would be more of a product of the times than Trump being overtly Christian or wanting to protect Christians for the sake of protecting them explicitly.
As far as making a religious person something to respect, he utterly failed at that. Evangelicals are more disliked and distrusted now than they were in 2015 because most according to polls supported Trump. The closer a Christian is associated with Trump, the more that Christian is frowned upon.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
On protecting freedom of religion, it was under greater attack than any time in our country's recent history. So holding the line a bit there would be more of a product of the times than Trump being overtly Christian or wanting to protect Christians for the sake of protecting them explicitly.

you're guessing, I take it. The specific actions taken by President Trump and his administration to accomplish what we are speaking of were many and quite important. I can hardly imagine that you are unaware of all of them.

As far as making a religious person something to respect, he utterly failed at that.
Once again, you're both guessing and uninformed, although this is a less definite accomplishment because some Christians were not as affected by certain policies as others were, and of course also, some churches lean one way politically, while others lean the opposite way.

The closer a Christian is associated with Trump, the more that Christian is frowned upon.
...by people who would cheer if freedom of religion were just done away with. I don't think this is an especially good argument.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
you're guessing, I take it. The specific actions taken by President Trump and his administration to accomplish what we are speaking of were many and quite important. I can hardly imagine that you are unaware of all of them.
I'm not even saying all of them were bad. But the reason for needing them was anti-Christian social pressure that really ramped up in the Obama years.

Once again, you're both guessing and uninformed, although this is a less definite accomplishment because some Christians were not as affected by certain policies as others were, and of course also, some churches lean one way politically, while others lean the opposite way.
No, I work with a lot of unsaved, younger people and I keep my ears open.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm not even saying all of them were bad. But the reason for needing them was anti-Christian social pressure that really ramped up in the Obama years.
I am willing to accept this explanation although I don't think it's as simple as you seem to be saying, but even so, I cannot figure how it squares with what you wrote in the post to which I was responding:

So holding the line a bit there would be more of a product of the times than Trump being overtly Christian or wanting to protect Christians...

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I am willing to accept this explanation although I don't think it's as simple as you seem to be saying, but even so, I cannot figure how it squares with what you wrote in the post to which I was responding:
It just means that he wasn't being carried by those same forces, which were noticeably greater in 2013-2020 than they were from 1995-2008. It's kind of like hockey - if there are 30+ shots on goal, but one gets through, the goalie had to work harder than on days when there's only 17 shots on goal where one or none got through.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
On protecting freedom of religion, it was under greater attack than any time in our country's recent history.
I agree: attacks on Muslims, Sikhs, Jews, etc., mostly by self-styled Christians. Oh yes, also against Black Christians, whose churches were bombed and burned down as if the KKK were still around...Oh wait...

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I agree: attacks on Muslims, Sikhs, Jews, etc., mostly by self-styled Christians.
The attacks on Muslims and Sikhs happened before Trump even ran. And their existence does not take away from my point.

Oh yes, also against Black Christians, whose churches were bombed and burned down as if the KKK were still around...Oh wait...
By black criminals wanting to throw off the trail. For example: Congregation member arrested in black church burning in Mississippi

Upvote 0

Martinius

Jul 2, 2010
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
who has done more than any other president in our lifetimes to protect freedom of religion and to make being a religious person something to respect.
Close, but not quite. Just replace "protect" with "destroy" and "something to respect" with "something to be ashamed of". Then we'll be fine. But I guess if breaking most (if not all) of the Ten Commandments is what makes a person "religious" then you could say that about The Donald.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Martinius

Jul 2, 2010
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The attacks on Muslims and Sikhs happened before Trump even ran. And their existence does not take away from my point.
FBI data and other reports show an increase in religion targeted attacks in recent years, including the Trump years. The Tree of Life Synagogue massacre was on Trump's time. You have no valid point. These types of attacks were not reduced during Trump's tenure, and he said and did nothing about them, but instead showed favoritism toward certain religious groups. Which is not how America is supposed to work.

By black criminals wanting to throw off the trail. For example: Congregation member arrested in black church burning in Mississippi
And some white churches have been attacked by white people. One outlier does not prove anything. The facts are clear. But I guess the Proud Boys, and other Trump supporters who have vandalized Black churches, were actually Blacks in "white face". Yeah, that's what it was.

I think what many people consider as "Freedom of Religion" is viewed as something just for a select group of people, of a certain race, political persuasion, and specific religious beliefs. Again, that is NOT the America we are supposed to have.

• Winner
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

JSRG

Apr 14, 2019
Midwest
✟160,213.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
if Roe is overturned or severely limited? Note, I ask this as someone who did not support him, as I have voted Third Party since 2000. Still, I wonder if Trump becomes effectively responsible for saving the lives of millions of unborn babies in the coming decades, by a reversal of Roe vs Wade, could what one politician called him, "the most Christian President ever", end up becoming at least partially true? You know, it would be very strange if a man who apparently told more lies as President than almost any of his predecessors, and who did not take the pandemic seriously at first, and spoke ill of the dead when he trashed John McCain, and made fun of a disabled man while at a GOP Presidential Primary campaign stop and so on and so on..... ends up saving the lives of an untold number of unborn babies.
An overruling of Roe v. Wade would be excellent, given that (setting aside all issues of the morality or policy wisdom of abortion) I think it was simply really bad jurispudence. And even if the initial political shock is major, I think it would at least be a step towards trying to fix up our political system, given how many of our current problems stem considerably from Roe v. Wade, like the polarization of politics.

However, if Roe v. Wade is overturned, and we want to put credit to the people who installed the justices that overrode them, why should Trump take #1 credit? Let's suppose that every Republican-appointed justice votes to overrule Roe v. Wade. Thomas was appointed by the first George Bush, and then Alito and Roberts by the second. Does Trump necessarily deserve more credit than them because he appointed more justices? (and, of course, this is if all of them vote that way--if one of them doesn't, then things get more confusing)

Though Trump would still deserve credit for it to at least some degree, certainly. I just wish the president who installed the people who (at least in this hypothetical scenario) overrule Roe v. Wade hadn't had that be one of the few things in their presidency I could actually praise.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
FBI data and other reports show an increase in religion targeted attacks in recent years, including the Trump years. The Tree of Life Synagogue massacre was on Trump's time.
Which shouldn't have happened. But again, this is whataboutism. It has nothing to do with whether or not there was an increase in social pressure on Christians.

These types of attacks were not reduced during Trump's tenure, and he said and did nothing about them, but instead showed favoritism toward certain religious groups. Which is not how America is supposed to work.
Did he stop or slow down the authorities from doing their job to investigate and prosecute these cases?

I think what many people consider as "Freedom of Religion" is viewed as something just for a select group of people, of a certain race, political persuasion, and specific religious beliefs. Again, that is NOT the America we are supposed to have.
Has nothing to do with my point.

Upvote 0