Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Given that USA is in the midst of a national disaster and have a current president who is completely ignoring it and refusing to support measures to fight the disease such as promoting use of masks, promoting social distancing etc.

There is a long way to go until November and this disease spreads exponentially.

Would it be possible in the next four months for the Republican party to throw Trump out. Install a new president that is capable of getting this disease under control and save the lives of tens or hundreds of thousands of Americans and then win the 2020 election?

Or would it be too little, too late? Or perhaps just constitutionally not legal?
They're not thinking straight right now ...

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,405.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Maybe a massive statue to replace mt Rushmore. Bigly.
I am halfway hoping Medusa shows up at his Mt. Rushmore contagion fest. She could grant your wish with one look. She could make America great again with one stony stare in his direction. LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

GreatLakes4Ever

Jan 2, 2019
Midwest
✟264,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
I think technically speaking, Trump is currently the “presumptive” Republican nominee for President. At the convention Republicans may be able to nominate someone else. I don’t know their rules on being able to do that, Trump certainly has the most delegates but since no one was paying attention or even having Republican primaries, Trump may not have over half the delegates so it could go to a vote at the convention. So there is a possible path but I sincerely doubt it will happen.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟275,713.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
What you are suggesting here would be a major gift to Biden. The Republican party has no option other than uniting around Trump.

Well, that's their own fault for rolling over like a whipped dog for a demagogue.

Oh wait, you probably think that having no option but Trump is a good thing.

When you find that person that can solve all the problems let us know in the mean time many of us do not blame Trump for every bad thing in the world.

They're not blaming Trump for COVID-19, but they are justifiably critiquing his frankly terrible response to it.

First he ignored it - see the comments from governors about emergency funding for testing and PPE

Then he down played it (22nd Jan: "We have it totally under control. It's one person coming in from China, and we have it under control. It's going to be just fine");

Then he tried to pretend it was all going to go away (24 Jan "China has been working very hard to contain the Coronavirus. The United States greatly appreciates their efforts and transparency. It will all work out well"),

Then he spread disinformation about it (2nd Feb: "Looks like by April, you know, in theory, when it gets a little warmer, it miraculously goes away", 19 Feb: "I think when we get into April, in the warmer weather, that has a very negative effect on that and that type of a virus.”).

Then, when the situation became more and more ugly, he tried to claim prescience (17th Mar: "This is a pandemic. ... I felt it was a pandemic long before it was called a pandemic.");

When that failed, he tried politicize it both domestically (28 Feb: "this is their new hoax") and internationally (30 Apr “China will do anything they can to have me lose this race,” “They’re constantly using public relations to try to make it like they’re innocent parties,”).

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟329,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The only way I can see it happening is if Trump realizes he can't win in November, so he withdraws from the race. I do think Trump, if he absolutely knew he was going to lose, would cite "personal" or "family" reasons to withdraw, rather than suffer a loss. I suspect the polls would have to be pretty bad for him to do that, since he's going to believe that he'll "defy the polls" like in 2016.

Honestly, I think Trump dropping out is no more likely than Biden being ousted at the convention (which Democrats can't do since Biden has the votes to win on the first ballot).

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,676.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The key is independent voters - those with no party affiliation. Their approval ratings for Trump have slumped about 10% over the past three months, with only about 33% now approving of the job he's doing as president. Some recent polls put this as low as 25%.

They question is though - will enough independents vote to make this matter?

Approval ratings really have nothing much to do with the greatest question....will you still vote for person in the next election. Lots of time people give a negative approval rating not because they won't vote for a person but to let them know they want them to keep working harder at the job.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Approval ratings really have nothing much to do with the greatest question....will you still vote for person in the next election. Lots of time people give a negative approval rating not because they won't vote for a person but to let them know they want them to keep working harder at the job.
Yeah ... work harder ... not ...

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Given that USA is in the midst of a national disaster and have a current president who is completely ignoring it and refusing to support measures to fight the disease such as promoting use of masks, promoting social distancing etc.

There is a long way to go until November and this disease spreads exponentially.

Would it be possible in the next four months for the Republican party to throw Trump out. Instil a new president that is capable of getting this disease under control and save the lives of tens or hundreds of thousands of Americans and then win the 2020 election?

Or would it be too little, too late? Or perhaps just constitutionally not legal?

It's constitutionally legal, of course -- all it would take is for Pence to invoke the 25th Amendment and send a written notice to Congress that Donald is unable to discharge his duties as president. But if the Republican party in Washington had any decency, they'd have distanced themselves from Donald long before now.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,405.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Lately a few people have speculated Trump will resign, but given that the Manhattan DA is investigating his company in about 5 different criminal cases, and, at the very least, the southern district of N.Y. has him nailed as Individual One in the campaign payoffs to Daniels and the Playboy model, I think he has much to fear in a return to private life.

If he resigns, it could be conditional on a pardon from President Pence. Pence would be extremely unlikely to win, anyway.

That would still leave the Manhattan DA, but they might be so glad just to see him go quietly and stay in Florida that they will let him off with hefty fines.

If a Democrat wins, there could be push for payback for four years of he11. I would like to see him face the music, but another part of me just wants to see him fade away.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

Would it be possible in the next four months for the Republican party to throw Trump out. Instil a new president that is capable of getting this disease under control and save the lives of tens or hundreds of thousands of Americans and then win the 2020 election?

The death rate is going down I am not sure why people are freaking out simply for the fact that the actual cases themselves are going up.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Lately a few people have speculated Trump will resign, but given that the Manhattan DA is investigating his company in about 5 different criminal cases, and, at the very least, the southern district of N.Y. has him nailed as Individual One in the campaign payoffs to Daniels and the Playboy model, I think he has much to fear in a return to private life.

If he resigns, it could be conditional on a pardon from President Pence. Pence would be extremely unlikely to win, anyway.

Indeed -- The only way Donald would resign now would be if Pence offered him a pardon -- and doing that would sink Pence's already-infinitesimal chances of winning.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,428,588.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Would it be possible in the next four months for the Republican party to throw Trump out.

The current Republican leaders don't have the spine to do it....they already demonstrated that sad fact during the impeachment hearings. Their lack of political and moral principle is a disgrace.

There is an outside chance that Donald Trump would find a reason to quit rather than face a humiliating defeat in November...but I would guess it isn't likely....(that he would quit).

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,676.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The current Republican leaders don't have the spine to do it....they already demonstrated that sad fact during the impeachment hearings. Their lack of political and moral principle is a disgrace.

There is an outside chance that Donald Trump would find a reason to quit rather than face a humiliating defeat in November...but I would guess it isn't likely....(that he would quit).
What nonsense! The polls claimed Trump was waaaay behind when running against Hillary! People laughed their heads off when Ann Coulter claimed Trump would win in 16 and you seriously think Trump should be concerned about fear of a humiliating defeat in November? Might I refresh your memory of something?

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,676.00
Faith
Non-Denom

Or maybe they had the spine NOT to agree with the Dems over a speculative notion? A disgrace? Or rather doing what's right.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Trump legally holds an elected office. The Republican party could disavow him but he would simply remain in office as an independent. The same holds for the coming election. The only way to remove him is by impeachment or voting him out.

Knowing his character I think it possible that he resign just before the election and leave the GOP high and dry.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Desk trauma
Upvote 0