Could inappropriate content be considered as adultery?

Could inappropriate content be considered as adultery?

• Yes

Votes: 29 78.4%
  • No

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • I'm not sure

Votes: 3 8.1%

• Total voters

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A small sin is a small dot. A big sin is a huge dot. If bigger sins muddens our hearts more, how can God see all sins the same way?
Both take away holiness/purity. We will be judged by His standards, not ours...

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,618.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Paul is describing acts of sin. Do you think he says just looking at a woman with lust and we won't inherit the kingdom of God? Then how many can be saved?

Do not suppose that Paul's letter was intended to be an all-inclusive list of all possible sins.

What is more important is Paul's statement that, "...your master is whom you obey—whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness."

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,618.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No not really. If our heart is like a piece of paper. A small sin is a small dot. A big sin is a huge dot. If bigger sins muddens our hearts more, how can God see all sins the same way?

God has clear view of both colliding galaxies and colliding subatomic particles.

• Agree
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have started to think that inappropriate content might be that serious. If we think it's wrong, yet don't take it for the seriousness as it is, we may not do our best to avoid it. Thoughts?

If you really want to play it safe in this matter, I would recommend you to only watch inappropriate content if the Holy Spirit explicitly leads you to do so, which I assume will never happen :)

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have started to think that inappropriate content might be that serious. If we think it's wrong, yet don't take it for the seriousness as it is, we may not do our best to avoid it. Thoughts?

Very much so. If someone looks at inappropriate content they are looking at someone with lust. If they are married that is being unfaithful. It's also addictive and very dangerous to the Christian walk.
Sexual sin traps most people in some form or the other at some point. It's one of the easiest to fall into.
Colossians 3:5
Put to death therefore what is earthly in you: sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Any sexual activity outside of marriage of any sort is considered to be adultery by various Christians - even thinking about sex.

Since adultery is specifically against someone's spouse, an unmarried person cannot commit adultery unless they are doing so with someone who is married. If both are single then they are committing lust and fornication.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,441.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Since adultery is specifically against someone's spouse, an unmarried person cannot commit adultery unless they are doing so with someone who is married. If both are single then they are committing lust and fornication.

Your point is well taken. However, there are some who would say that all inappropriate contentography is adultery because all Christians are espoused as the Bride of Christ to Jesus Christ, the groom.

Reactions: Will Joseph
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Fornication is a type of adultery. It is being unfaithful to a future spouse and making that person unfaithful to their future spouse (unless, of course, you marry each other).

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,441.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Fornication is a type of adultery. It is being unfaithful to a future spouse and making that person unfaithful to their future spouse (unless, of course, you marry each other).

I suppose gay inappropriate content is not a type of adultery since it does not cause one to be unfaithful to a future spouse.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

yes and no.

"Yes" in the eyes of God the person is guilty of adultery (Matt 5 ) for those who think God's Ten Commandments still matter (which is fewer and fewer Christians these days)

And "no" in the sense that the man cannot divorce his wife if she is looking at inappropriate content and refuses to stop nor can the woman divorce her husband if he is looking at inappropriate content and refuses to stop - rather they can take the Matt 18 step of addressing the offense against them with the church - and having church leaders confront the spouse that is stuck in that sin.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,441.00
Faith
Non-Denom
yes and no.

"Yes" in the eyes of God the person is guilty of adultery (Matt 5 ) for those who think God's Ten Commandments still matter (which is fewer and fewer Christians these days)

And "no" in the sense that the man cannot divorce his wife if she is looking at inappropriate content and refuses to stop nor can the woman divorce her husband if he is looking at inappropriate content and refuses to stop - rather they can take the Matt 18 step of addressing the offense against them with the church - and having church leaders confront the spouse that is stuck in that sin.

Then, what do the church leaders do about it?

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,441.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Matt 18 says they reprimand the person and if the person still won't respond they disfellowship the person.

In the local SDA church here that translates into allowing the sinner to sit in the vestibule during the service. Is that a typical form of disfellowshiping?

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟886,054.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Do not suppose that Paul's letter was intended to be an all-inclusive list of all possible sins.

What is more important is Paul's statement that, "...your master is whom you obey—whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness."

If we then watch inappropriate content every week are we not slaves to sin? So then we would not inherit the kingdom? I don't know if that's true, just asking the question.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
In the local SDA church here that translates into allowing the sinner to sit in the vestibule during the service. Is that a typical form of disfellowshiping?

Disfellowship means dropping their names from church membership - it is not a civil action by the government.

In the same way Matt 5 says to be angry or hate - someone is murder - but does not empower civil government to put said murderer in prison not EVEN in the theocracy of Israel in the OT. Thought crimes are "funny that way"

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,618.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If we then watch inappropriate content every week are we not slaves to sin? So then we would not inherit the kingdom? I don't know if that's true, just asking the question.

Who or what are people obeying when they watch inappropriate content? Who or what governed that decision?

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟886,054.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You may like John Pipers teaching on wilful sin:

How Does ‘Willful Sinning’ Threaten My Salvation?

I normally don't listen to Piper. But since the Greek teacher Bill Mounce, who I like, been saying good things about Piper, I have become more open to him. I might have been too judgemental because of something he has said that got me upset in the past.

I like some things Piper mentions, that was comforting to me. But you know I believe saved people can lose salvation, so that part I can't say I was in agreement with.

Thanks for sharing!

• Friendly
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0